Driving, just for the drive.

AltimaXX

Car(s)
1998 Integra GS
Driving a well-balanced, focused driver's car, on the right road, at the right time, is quite simply one of the best things in the world to me. Even with rising fuel costs, I cannot resist driving simply to drive. One of my favorite Top Gear episodes ever was the quest for the greatest driving road in the world, and I've been longing to do something similar ever since I watched it. I've driven plenty of good roads since, but never really done something mad, just for a great drive and a special moment.

Around midnight on the morning of this July 4th, I decided to give in to a crazy urge, and go for a drive. It wasn't an aimless wander, I knew exactly where I was going. U.S. Highway 129, commonly known as "The Dragon". The particular section of road that I was heading for consists of 318 curves in just 11 miles, and is probably the wildest drive I've ever had on a public road. There are no turnoffs, no intersections, nothing but curves and more curves. For the driver of a small, nimble car or motorcycle, it's heaven.

I left my house at 1:30 AM, with the goal of making the 180 mile drive in time to be at a scenic overlook about halfway through "the Dragon" in time to watch the sun rise. About halfway there, I realized that I had left my tripod at home which put a damper on my photography opportunities, but I still had the drive to look forward to.

I made it with enough time to spare for one run through the dragon, and then halfway back, where I stopped at the overlook and waited for dawn. In my whole run, I didn't see a single person or other car. Ordinarily it's never empty and never quiet, usually ringing with the sounds of countless motorcycle and sports car exhausts.
As I sat in my car with the motor off and the lights dimmed, I realized that I had found something possibly even more special and more memorable than the drive itself...total peace and calm. In stark contrast to the rest of the Dragon experience, I was sitting totally still, and the only sound was the wind whistling through the trees around me. Not even the insects were making noise. In modern society, solitude is so hard to come by, but I had found it, at the top of a mountain in eastern Tennessee. I hadn't gone looking for it, but that moment just before dawn turned out to be the real reward, and the memory that I'll never forget.

Watching the sun rise
DP1.jpg

I thought I'd share my story with you, as fellow petrolheads I have a feeling you'll understand better than most...now go find your own perfect road and just drive it...

East Tennessee isn't far from here. I may have to check out this Dragon.

Ive been looking for a good piece of road, but it is difficult as you can imagine anywhere near here. The best stretch of road i've driven was somewhere in Long Island, where most people would take the highway (the LI Expressway) i decided to take the local road on my trip back. What i had found was a good 15-20 minutes of just two lane country road with lots of elevation changes, although not as many curves. The major joy was from the lack of stop signs and traffic lights that i have become so accustomed to. It was just like a break from the reality of the city.

I'd have to say that the best road I've driven on as of yet, with my limited amount of driving, is on route 5 in Vermont. I drove from Bellows Falls, VT to Ascutney, VT on it and I loved every minute of it except where it comes to Springfield, VT and you have to deal with traffic and making sure your making the correct turns to stay on said route. It wasn't particularly scenic but there were twists and turns that I couldn't believe still had a 50mph speed limit, it was spectacular being able to actually feel what my car was able to do if given the chance. Twisty roads FTMFW!!!!!!! :yes:

I'm a big, big fan of just cruising for the sake of cruising... $1.50/litre gas be damned to hell!

You can tell just by looking at my odometer... I've done 20,000 kilometers in 16 months, and I don't have to drive very far for school or work.

i use to just drive for the hell of it until i lost my licence. i get it back in 3 days and i cant wait! i use to get out around 1am, usually when i had finished work and take the LOOOOONG way home, it was great in winter with all that cold dense air.

It's hard to find good roads around here, the ones that are somewhat close by (Pallisades, Bear Mountain, LI local roads) are generally well known and patrolled.

although it costs me $100 to fill the tank, I love driving my car just for th hell of it through the park or some rare backroads i find when i get get lost finding my way to my new apartment. My new baby is out of commission atm but once i get her new suspension fitted i'll be ever more eager to push her even further

Driving a well-balanced, focused driver's car, on the right road, at the right time, is quite simply one of the best things in the world to me. Even with rising fuel costs, I cannot resist driving simply to drive. One of my favorite Top Gear episodes ever was the quest for the greatest driving road in the world, and I've been longing to do something similar ever since I watched it. I've driven plenty of good roads since, but never really done something mad, just for a great drive and a special moment.

Around midnight on the morning of this July 4th, I decided to give in to a crazy urge, and go for a drive. It wasn't an aimless wander, I knew exactly where I was going. U.S. Highway 129, commonly known as "The Dragon". The particular section of road that I was heading for consists of 318 curves in just 11 miles, and is probably the wildest drive I've ever had on a public road. There are no turnoffs, no intersections, nothing but curves and more curves. For the driver of a small, nimble car or motorcycle, it's heaven.

I left my house at 1:30 AM, with the goal of making the 180 mile drive in time to be at a scenic overlook about halfway through "the Dragon" in time to watch the sun rise. About halfway there, I realized that I had left my tripod at home which put a damper on my photography opportunities, but I still had the drive to look forward to.

I made it with enough time to spare for one run through the dragon, and then halfway back, where I stopped at the overlook and waited for dawn. In my whole run, I didn't see a single person or other car. Ordinarily it's never empty and never quiet, usually ringing with the sounds of countless motorcycle and sports car exhausts.
As I sat in my car with the motor off and the lights dimmed, I realized that I had found something possibly even more special and more memorable than the drive itself...total peace and calm. In stark contrast to the rest of the Dragon experience, I was sitting totally still, and the only sound was the wind whistling through the trees around me. Not even the insects were making noise. In modern society, solitude is so hard to come by, but I had found it, at the top of a mountain in eastern Tennessee. I hadn't gone looking for it, but that moment just before dawn turned out to be the real reward, and the memory that I'll never forget.

Watching the sun rise
pic

I thought I'd share my story with you, as fellow petrolheads I have a feeling you'll understand better than most...now go find your own perfect road and just drive it...

I live in middle Tennessee and have been down that road many times, though I've never driven it. It's such a great road and the fact you found it empty is surprising. Normally, there's a ton of bikers, and then the cops following them, waiting to hand out tickets. I think it should be on everyone's list to drive atleast once. Maybe we could arrange a 3am FG meet to run 'The Dragon'. :lol:

Our car club goes on cruises all the time. There are a few really good roads close-by but its pretty common for us to take a 4 hour drive just to hit some twisties, so believe me, I understand your post perfectly. Thumbs up!

Ah, here we go, found some pics (hope Im not hijacking the thread)

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

shute6.jpg

I'd have to say that the best road I've driven on as of yet, with my limited amount of driving, is on route 5 in Vermont. I drove from Bellows Falls, VT to Ascutney, VT on it and I loved every minute of it except where it comes to Springfield, VT and you have to deal with traffic and making sure your making the correct turns to stay on said route. It wasn't particularly scenic but there were twists and turns that I couldn't believe still had a 50mph speed limit, it was spectacular being able to actually feel what my car was able to do if given the chance. Twisty roads FTMFW!!!!!!! :yes:

Head out there and run Rt. 17 (in VT). It might just be the best road in the northeast.

Last edited:

Stelvio_WOW.JPG

what can you say,

bad luck mate

edit: okay, confession time
allthough i'm making fun of amercia, as i like to do, i have to admit that i have only driven the passo stelvio in a Chrysler Voyager full of family. was astonishing though. I shall be returning as soon as i got a myself a faster bike.

Last edited:
I am willing to go as far as to say that there are better roads in the US than in Europe. The Stelvio pass is just hairpins and I dont find that fun. Its too repetitive and is far less involving than a mix of different corners some of which are taken at 30, some at 90.
And those pics: take a shot of the stelvio pass from the road, as opposed to from high up, so you cant see the entire thing. Lets see what that will look like.

Stelvio_WOW.JPG

what can you say,

bad luck mate

allthough i'm making fun of amercia, as i like to do, i have to admit that i have only driven the passo stelvio in a Chrysler Voyager full of family. was astonishing though. I shall be returning as soon as i got a myself a faster bike.

There are roads on this continent, in this country, that are pretty good, and if you had a clear camera angle the way you do with the Stelivo picture, they'd look more similar than they do different.

That being said, I'm still jealous of all the fine roads in Europe.

I've been going through withdrawals the past week as I haven't done much driving (myself).

I can't explain why, but I for some reason love cruising with the top down, a little audioslave on the stereo, on the freeway at night. Something very relaxing about the cool night air and the flicker of the lights as you go in and out of the shadows between them.

what can you say,

bad luck mate

How's that "bad luck"? While I wouldn't mind driving it, I really don't see it being that great (the section before hand though looks good). This forum bashes the US for having lots of straights and whats that road? A bunch of hair pins with straights and nothing else. Where's my variety?

I'd much rather have whats local to me:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2008/07/07/3588590.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2008/07/07/nga1_000.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2008/07/07/ridgeroad.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2008/07/07/sand_000.jpg

And thanks to the wonderful Southern California weather, they can be enjoyed year round :D

edit: Lets stop this pissing match before it gets worse, we've got other threads for this shit.

Last edited:
I live in middle Tennessee and have been down that road many times, though I've never driven it. It's such a great road and the fact you found it empty is surprising. Normally, there's a ton of bikers, and then the cops following them, waiting to hand out tickets. I think it should be on everyone's list to drive atleast once. Maybe we could arrange a 3am FG meet to run 'The Dragon'. :lol:

A Final Gear Dragon Run would be fantastic. I was shocked that I found it empty, I've driven it at night before and if anything the madness was much more common then...last time I drove it at night there was a guy drifting an S2000...:lol: I guess that's for the late night crowd though...the very early morning was a whole nother story.

Great write-up, I know exactly the feeling you mean. I remember being at the 'Ring in '06, my first trip, and the track opened at 9am. I decided to drive out early to find some photography spots for when I wasnt driving. 7.30am and the track was empty, very surreal place to be. 10 minutes later, it was being ripped up by an Aston DBR9 test-car.

Driving for the sake of driving, is a sign of being a true petrolhead.

< 30k miles in 9 months, and I dont need to use the car for work...

I usually need a proper destination to enjoy the drive, generally some sort of place with food at the end of it. I rather enjoy that. I get what you guys are saying though. Usually for me i find little moments of joy from time to time, and that makes it worthwhile.

Even in Ohio, probably one of the slowest and most boring places I've ever driven, and even in a automatic Ford stationwagon i had such a moment. I was pulling out in front of some traffic when i had just found Billy Gibbons, a man i salute by driving very fast no-matter how stupid the condition, just as the crappy V6 was starting to get exciting two very large lightning bolts darted through the sky in front of me. The whole thing probably lasted just a few seconds, but god did it brighten up that otherwise dreary drive.

I know the feeling all to well. Went for a drive just for the sake of it with a friend on Saturday. Went up into the hills a bit to discover a few roads. I didn't push my car at all (It doesn't feel stable at speeds, believe me!) and stayed a bit under the 80km/h speed limit for the most part, but it was just relaxing, calming and beautiful. The road by no means was as extreme and special as some of the roads you guys have shown, but it was still quite a nice road. Something I won't forget for a long time, just set me in such a good mood.

Can't wait until a get a nicer car :p

I just got back from a weekend in Lake Tahoe. The roads around that place are jawdroppingly amazing, and the scenery isn't bad either. Sadly, I was merely the passenger in a Dodge Magnum, and I wasn't on the rental agreement, but even that would've made for a somewhat fun experience, manually smacking the gears around and pushing it with the stability control off. I must return there at some point.

I definitely agree about driving just for the fun of it. 90% of my non-road trip time in my MR2 was spent doing just that, and were I to end up getting a car in Boston, it would be the only reason for me to own one anyway, to get myself out of the city and into the hills.

i just noticed to be fed up with one of my favourite bit of roads in my near area. it's a strech of about half a kilometre of road with no speed limit (right in the outskirts of the city, not really going anywhere) in fact, i don't have the slightest clue what it's for.
but it's straight, so thats no good. i think i will be driving to a sea nearby today where there's a road going round the sea (completely with "telemetry" and "marshalls"...)

amazingly, i have some great driving roads right outside the door.