Autoblog: Ford dumping spark plugs in favor of focused light?

I like your new avatar, donington.

That sounds cool but couldn't the lens that the lazerz shoot through get fouled just like a spark plug?

That sounds cool but couldn't the lens that the lazerz shoot through get fouled just like a spark plug?
Theoretically, I would say no, because this is going to have a much more complete burn than a spark plug with a single point of ignition.

I want lasers in mah Lolvo!

It would only be feasible if they made a "B-TIOOO" sound whenever they fired.

It would only be feasible if they made a "B-TIOOO" sound whenever they fired.
Or, even better; "BWOOOOHHHH"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQLKEZzBIZE[/YOUTUBE]

[JC voice] NOT EVEN A MAYBACH HAS THIS! [/JC voice]

But yes, I need some lasers in my car.

Hey, this could be a bright idea. :p

dr_evil_laser.jpg

Sharks cars with fricking "lasers" on their heads

You beat me to it! Any car with "lasers" is friggin awesome in my books.

If this ends up in a Focus RS, you would be able to legitimately claim ownership of turbolasers! Owners of supercharged frickin-laser engines will be obliged to say 'Commence Primary Ignition' when starting their cars. [/nerd]

Although they need to dust off that nuclear-powered concept from the 1950s for maximum awesomeness..

Last edited:
FoMoCo must have missed the memo from Ford Australia, circa 1981.

20080818071803!Ford_laser.jpg

What a Ford laser might look like.

well obviously they must remake it with real lasers and their newfound awesome

This technology has existed for decades, it should have been done earlier. A lot of parts we take for granted as being part of cars are needlessly overly complex and could be done better with current technology. With something as widespread as cars there's just a lot of inertia to fundamental change.

Like e-mail and IM on phones this just seems like more of a "duh, should have been done earlier" thing to me.

Boo :(

This might mean the end of NGK Spark Plugs in the future if it does actually work, take off, and other manufacturers go with this. Oh and that means the end of my mom's HR job too. :sad:

Boo :(

This might mean the end of NGK Spark Plugs in the future if it does actually work, take off, and other manufacturers go with this. Oh and that means the end of my mom's HR job too. :sad:

Well, maybe NGK could catch up and start selling this technology instead.:)

A) you're not going to need to replace those bad boys very often
B) would after market lasers really make a difference/be a good idea? I'd rather not burn a hole through my engine, thanks

I just have this vision of the lasers going all wrong. They start shooting out of the sides of the car, killing and destroying everything as you go down a city street. It's be like a laser meat grinder going down the street.

FoMoCo must have missed the memo from Ford Australia, circa 1981.

20080818071803!Ford_laser.jpg

What a Ford laser might look like.

Or what a Ford with Focused laser might look like. :drums:
http://img32.imageshack.**/img32/7453/provescmerasonyfocus008.jpg

:lol:

Last edited: