New York 2010: 2011 Hyundai Equus arrives to take on the big guns

The Cressida was a Toyota... and Toyota does not play the luxury game (not through the Toyota badge, that is), so idk why you brought that up. The Lexus wiki bit isn't really helping your case - a new car company brought out a world-class luxury car vs a cheap shitbox company that suddenly comes out with a top-dollar luxury car... even if its very good, I just don't see it swaying many Audi/BMW/Merc/Lexus buyers.

I'm not going to argue about this anymore, since the only thing that will prove anyone wrong will be time. That and I generally don't care about Hyundai - they've yet to make a single model that interests me in the least. Come to think of it, the same applies to Toyota (with the exception of the MkIV Supra and maybe the MR2)

Last edited:
The Cressida was a Toyota... and Toyota does not play the luxury game (not through the Toyota badge, that is), so idk why you brought that up. The Lexus wiki bit isn't really helping your case - a new car company brought out a world-class luxury car vs a cheap shitbox company that suddenly comes out with a top-dollar luxury car... even if its very good, I just don't see it swaying many Audi/BMW/Merc/Lexus buyers.
The Cressida had a price and market point in the Toyota lineup back then the same place that the Genesis has right now, hence why it's relevant. "Cheap shitbox company" was what Toyota in the eyes of loads of people at the end of the 80s, especially ones in places with road salt thanks to their habit of going transparent after a few winters. The point about the Lexus name (not company) being new is always a valid one, but it's hard to compare, say, the Equus to the Phaeton, which wasn't price-competitive even if it was better equipped.
I'm not going to argue about this anymore, since the only thing that will prove anyone wrong will be time. That and I generally don't care about Hyundai - they've yet to make a single model that interests me in the least. Come to think of it, the same applies to Toyota (with the exception of the MkIV Supra and maybe the MR2)
Hyundai doesn't care about making models that interest enthusiasts. They just make cars that sell, by making them better and cheaper than the competition. That matters even in the luxury market. You're not part of their target market, and judging by their product pipeline, they're perfectly fine with that.

Last edited:
If you refer to Hyundai as a "cheap shitbox company," you have NO familiarity with their modern products. As just one example of many, here's the new Sonata taking third out of seven in a Motor Trend family sedan test, besting the Honda Accord, Subaru Legacy, Chevy Malibu, and Nissan Altima.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ily_sedan_comparison/2011_hyundai_sonata.html

Or here's the Elantra besting the Corolla and Sentra in a C&D test, though losing out to the Rabbit, Mazda3, and Civic:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mparison_tests/2007_hyundai_elantra_se_page_5

The Cressida had a price and market point in the Toyota lineup back then the same place that the Genesis has right now, hence why it's relevant. "Cheap shitbox company" was what Toyota in the eyes of loads of people at the end of the 80s, especially ones in places with road salt thanks to their habit of going transparent after a few winters. The point about the Lexus name (not company) being new is always a valid one, but it's hard to compare, say, the Equus to the Phaeton, which wasn't price-competitive even if it was better equipped.
Yeah, and Toyota doesn't try to enter the luxury car market, so how is that relevant? Hyundai is doing a good job entering the Honda/Toyota market - aka the cheap family car market. Toyota created the Lexus brand for a reason - because no one was going to pay big money for a Toyota.

Hyundai doesn't care about making models that interest enthusiasts. They just make cars that sell, by making them better and cheaper than the competition. That matters even in the luxury market. You're not part of their target market, and judging by their product pipeline, they're perfectly fine with that.
:lol: They can make cars for whoever they want. I'm not bashing them for not making cars for enthusiasts, I was just stating that I, personally, am not interested in Hyundai.

If you refer to Hyundai as a "cheap shitbox company," you have NO familiarity with their modern products. As just one example of many, here's the new Sonata taking third out of seven in a Motor Trend family sedan test, besting the Honda Accord, Subaru Legacy, Chevy Malibu, and Nissan Altima.
Irrelevant. The cars you mention are not exactly breath-taking. And are you really suggesting that Hyundai has a solid reputation for building good cars like Honda does? Their recent cars have been decent but their old stuff was garbage.

Exactly so.

The Phaeton also had to pull the GM/BL thing and compete with its higher-badged sister, the A8, at roughly the same price point. That's never a winning idea.

And judging by their sales volume, Hyundai couldn't care less about some guy in Massachusetts who drives a car from a company that only makes cars as a means to fund their powersports divisions (and therefore only makes their cars just good enough to sell well, instead of trying to excel at car making and design) and his complaints about them not making anything that interests him. A significant portion of the American population is buying their wares now, and it's not just because of price.

Also, I will make a point about enthusiasts - if Hyundai didn't care about enthusiasts at all, they wouldn't be making one of the only RWD sport coupes on the market at the current time. Honda and Toyota don't even bother with the segment any more, that's how little they care. Hyundai does want to make cars that sell, and to do that, they're making cars that people want to buy. I've been seeing an awful lot of Genesis Coupes around town lately, for example - more of them than new Camaros, in fact.

Yeah, and Toyota doesn't try to enter the luxury car market, so how is that relevant? Hyundai is doing a good job entering the Honda/Toyota market - aka the cheap family car market. Toyota created the Lexus brand for a reason - because no one was going to pay big money for a Toyota.

Explain the Avalon then.

Irrelevant. The cars you mention are not exactly breath-taking. And are you really suggesting that Hyundai has a solid reputation for building good cars like Honda does? Their recent cars have been decent but their old stuff was garbage.

While you weren't paying attention, Hyundai got a ten year record of making solid cars and standing behind them, starting with the 2000 Elantra. Have you even sat in a Genesis? It's bloody impressive, the more so since I can remember the miserable Excel from which they started in the US. It's even more impressive to drive.

Then again, I'm also old enough to remember the 77 Toyota Corolla that was really Toyota's first solid foot in the door and the 82 Camry from which they got their solid boost onto the US stage. Neither were actually very good to drive, and they weren't actually all that well built - but they were better built than the 'established' US competition, and that's all they needed.

Flash forward 20-some years, and the drama is playing out all over again.

Last edited:
The Phaeton also had to pull the GM/BL thing and compete with its higher-badged sister, the A8, at roughly the same price point. That's never a winning idea.
VW never had a reputation for luxury cars and look what happened when they made one - it failboated.

And judging by their sales volume, Hyundai couldn't care less about some guy in Massachusetts who drives a car from a company that only makes cars as a means to fund their powersports divisions (and therefore only makes their cars just good enough to sell well, instead of trying to excel at car making and design) and his complaints about them not making anything that interests him. A significant portion of the American population is buying their wares now, and it's not just because of price.
First of all, congratulations for another reading comprehension fail. I'll repeat it again just for you: I never said that Hyundai should make a car that would suit my needs; all I said was that I didn't really care much how their models did market-wise, seeing as I, personally, am not interested in any of them. Second of all, I lol'ed at your Honda comments. Seriously, comedy gold.

Also, I will make a point about enthusiasts - if Hyundai didn't care about enthusiasts at all, they wouldn't be making one of the only RWD sport coupes on the market at the current time. Honda and Toyota don't even bother with the segment any more, that's how little they care. Hyundai does want to make cars that sell, and to do that, they're making cars that people want to buy. I've been seeing an awful lot of Genesis Coupes around town lately, for example - more of them than new Camaros, in fact.
Honda and Toyota are playing a different market segment. The one time Honda decided to make a RWD sports car, it sold by the bucketload, btw. I won't comment on the Genesis coupe because I know I'll get flamed to hell for what I have to say.

Explain the Avalon then.
What about it? Its a $32k luxurious Camry. It competes with the Maxima. Your point?

While you weren't paying attention, Hyundai got a ten year record of making solid cars and standing behind them, starting with the 2000 Elantra. Have you even sat in a Genesis? It's bloody impressive, the more so since I can remember the miserable Excel from which they started in the US. It's even more impressive to drive.
A whole TEN years? Holy shit! That's a new record!
Btw, glad that you agree that Hyundai made "miserable" cars not that long ago.
Edit: and since you mention the Elantra - they are terrible, dreadful econoboxes. A Civic is better in every way.

Last edited:
VW never had a reputation for luxury cars and look what happened when they made one - it failboated.

That wasn't just because of the badge, that was also because.

First of all, congratulations for another reading comprehension fail. I'll repeat it again just for you: I never said that Hyundai should make a car that would suit my needs; all I said was that I didn't really care much how their models did market-wise, seeing as I, personally, am not interested in any of them. Second of all, I lol'ed at your Honda comments. Seriously, comedy gold.

It's actually a paraphrased quote from a Honda exec. If memory serves, it came from this book.

But yes, basically Honda has admitted that this is the only reason they make cars at all.

Honda and Toyota are playing a different market segment. The one time Honda decided to make a RWD sports car, it sold by the bucketload, btw. I won't comment on the Genesis coupe because I know I'll get flamed to hell for what I have to say.

Really? How were those NSX sales, again? And if the S2000 sold by the bucketload, why is it no longer here? If, as you imply, Honda is soooo concerned about car enthusiasts, why is there no dedicated RWD sport coupe or car in their lineup?

What about it? Its a $32k luxurious Camry. It competes with the Maxima. Your point?

Actually, it competes with Buicks and, strangely, low end Lexus models. The Max isn't even vaguely focused in the same direction. On top of that, you just said it - it's a luxury Camry... but wait, Toyota doesn't sell any luxury cars under that brand! Hmmmm... seems to be a problem with that idea...

A whole TEN years? Holy shit! That's a new record!
Btw, glad that you agree that Hyundai made "miserable" cars not that long ago.

Honda's Civic has had a miserable generation in that time period, the Accord's had some major issues, Toyota's had worse. Basically, where everyone else has been falling on their face in the past decade, Hyundai's been pretty consistently churning out solid product.

As for the Elantra? Yes, the current Civic is better than it is... but the last Civic was worse. And the Elantra's coming back this fall in an all new version to fight the Civic. Want to bet it'll be better?

Last edited:
That wasn't just because of the badge, that was also because.
...because no one wanted a VW when they could have an A8.

But yes, basically Honda has admitted that this is the only reason they make cars at all.
No, I was laughing at your comment that Honda makes cars that are "just good enough to sell well".

Really? How were those NSX sales, again? And if the S2000 sold by the bucketload, why is it no longer here? If, as you imply, Honda is soooo concerned about car enthusiasts, why is there no dedicated RWD sport coupe or car in their lineup?
NSX sales weren't great, but Honda still somehow managed to sell a Honda-badged product for 911 money. S2000 - the Model T sold well too and yet its no longer here :rolleyes: Like I said, the S2000 sold by the bucketload. And when did I say that Honda is concerned about car enthusiasts?

On top of that, you just said it - it's a luxury Camry... but wait, Toyota doesn't sell any luxury cars under that brand! Hmmmm... seems to be a problem with that idea...
A luxury Micra wouldn't be a BMW competitor, just like the Avalon isn't either. More luxurious Camry does not equal world-class luxury car to compete with the Germans.

Honda's Civic has had a miserable generation in that time period, the Accord's had some major issues, Toyota's had worse. Basically, where everyone else has been falling on their face in the past decade, Hyundai's been pretty consistently churning out solid product.
Best selling vehicles for 2000: Camry is in 4th, Accord in 5th, Civic in 7th, Hyundai... not in the top 10. You were saying something about that gen Civic being miserable, the Accord having major issues, and the Camry being even worse? Wat?

As for the Elantra? Yes, the current Civic is better than it is... but the last Civic was worse. And the Elantra's coming back this fall in an all new version to fight the Civic. Want to bet it'll be better?
To each his own, I suppose. I'd take a 96 Civic over an 06 Elantra :dunno: Most buyers seem to like Civics better, judging by sales numbers (Civic was #6 in 2009; Hyundai, once again, did not make the top ten list). Oh, and congrats to Hyundai for releasing a competitor to the Civic a few years after the latter comes out. Really, top notch work!

Edit: and since you mention the Elantra - they are terrible, dreadful econoboxes. A Civic is better in every way.

According to the C&D comparison test I posted (and C&D has historically fellated Hondas), the (current) Elantra is better than the (current) Civic in the following areas:

Rear-seat comfort
Rear-seat space
Trunk space
Features/amenities

It's equal to the Civic in the following areas:

Driver comfort
Ergonomics
Interior styling
Powertrain flexibility
Transmission
Brake feel

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/3966371f33e2a9ee7c1dc54aa1abcf81.pdf

The full article also praised the Elantra's ride quality, not something that really came up in the Civic blurb. In short, the Civic is better to drive, but the Elantra is better to ride in. The Civic is NOT "better in every way."

Last edited:
...because no one wanted a VW when they could have an A8.

Actually, I forgot to finish that - nobody wanted a VW when they could have an A8 for the same money.

If the Phaeton had been 20K cheaper, it would probably have sold fairly well.

No, I was laughing at your comment that Honda makes cars that are "just good enough to sell well".

No RWD cars, no real enthusiast cars, no sports cars. The other thing is that you can look at a Honda car and see where they could have done better... but didn't. It's 'just good enough'.

NSX sales weren't great, but Honda still somehow managed to sell a Honda-badged product for 911 money.

Chevrolet managed to sell a Chevy bow tie on something for 911 money and people bought them in droves. Still do.

It's called the Corvette.

S2000 - the Model T sold well too and yet its no longer here :rolleyes: Like I said, the S2000 sold by the bucketload. And when did I say that Honda is concerned about car enthusiasts?

Fine, then where's the S2K replacement?

A luxury Micra wouldn't be a BMW competitor, just like the Avalon isn't either. More luxurious Camry does not equal world-class luxury car to compete with the Germans.

Er, actually, a luxury Micra IS a German competitor - in markets where they sell these:
800px-Mercedes_W169_front_20080409.jpg

Best selling vehicles for 2000: Camry is in 4th, Accord in 5th, Civic in 7th, Hyundai... not in the top 10. You were saying something about that gen Civic being miserable, the Accord having major issues, and the Camry being even worse? Wat?

Not much of which was apparent in 2000 when all the cars were new - but the Accord of that year had huge transmission problems, the Camry, well, we know about its current woes and before that was the oil gelling/sludge problem that Toyota refused to acknowledge for years. The seventh generation Civic introduced in 2000 tossed out the double wishbone front suspension in favor of cheaper and crappier MacPherson struts; the change has been widely panned and derided.

To each his own, I suppose. I'd take a 96 Civic over an 06 Elantra :dunno: Most buyers seem to like Civics better, judging by sales numbers (Civic was #6 in 2009; Hyundai, once again, did not make the top ten list). Oh, and congrats to Hyundai for releasing a competitor to the Civic a few years after the latter comes out. Really, top notch work!

To be fair, Toyota still hasn't released a real competitor to the (admittedly excellent) 8th gen Civic yet - and neither has anyone else.

Also, if you look at sales numbers alone as a measure of whether a car is good or not, the best car in America is a beige Toyota Camry.

The full article also praised the Elantra's ride quality, not something that really came up in the Civic blurb. In short, the Civic is better to drive, but the Elantra is better to ride in. The Civic is NOT "better in every way."
Cool story bro. Civic still finished ahead of the Elantra.

Like I said, Hyundai has done a good job competing with Honda/Toyota but the Japanese are still better overall.

Like I said, Hyundai has done a good job competing with Honda/Toyota but the Japanese are still better overall.

Mitsubishi?

Also, with Hyundai making more and more conquest sales, I don't think it will be too long before the buying public forgets the 84 Excel and owner loyalty rates rise to meet or even exceed Honda's or Toyota's.

Last edited:
Actually, I forgot to finish that - nobody wanted a VW when they could have an A8 for the same money.
If the Phaeton had been 20K cheaper, it would probably have sold fairly well.
That's arguable. I would have preferred a slightly smaller 5-er over a Phaeton for the same money. But maybe.

No RWD cars, no real enthusiast cars, no sports cars. The other thing is that you can look at a Honda car and see where they could have done better... but didn't. It's 'just good enough'.
And I'm the one too focused on performance? :p I have yet to look at a Honda and think "man, I really wish they hadn't made this part like that".

Chevrolet managed to sell a Chevy bow tie on something for 911 money and people bought them in droves. Still do.

It's called the Corvette.
Cheapest 911 - $77k.
Z06 - $75k. (GrandSport is $55k).
And until the C6Z, 911s were a heck of a lot more expensive.

Fine, then where's the S2K replacement?
Give it a few years.

Er, actually, a luxury Micra IS a German competitor - in markets where they sell these:
When they make a luxury Micra, we'll see how well it does against the worst Mercedes on sale lol

Not much of which was apparent in 2000 when all the cars were new - but the Accord of that year had huge transmission problems, the Camry, well, we know about its current woes and before that was the oil gelling/sludge problem that Toyota refused to acknowledge for years. The seventh generation Civic introduced in 2000 tossed out the double wishbone front suspension in favor of cheaper and crappier MacPherson struts; the change has been widely panned and derided.
Do you want me to dig up sales numbers for the following few years? Oh, and 216k on my Accord's tranny and doing just fine (knock on wood). And the fact that Honda and Toyota have managed to sell more cars with significant problems than Hyundai has cars with no problems, further reinforces my point.

Also, if you look at sales numbers alone as a measure of whether a car is good or not, the best car in America is a beige Toyota Camry.
Isn't it? Sounds like we need to redefine what makes a successful model.

Mitsubishi?

Also, with Hyundai making more and more conquest sales, I don't think it will be too long before the buying public forgets the 84 Excel and owner loyalty rates rise to meet or even exceed Honda's or Toyota's.
By "the Japanese" I meant the two that I had mentioned - Honda and Toyota. And I agree, Hyundai may very well eventually be able to full-out compete with Honda and Toyota when it comes to sales numbers. But not yet. And not with a $50k car.

Cheapest 911 - $77k.
Z06 - $75k. (GrandSport is $55k).
And until the C6Z, 911s were a heck of a lot more expensive.

I think you've just proved his point here. Hyundai is way cheaper than the flagships the Equus is going for, just like the Corvette is way cheaper than the 911s.

As for Hyundai vs. Japanese, the Japanese have owner loyalty over 20 years, so Hyundai's got to do conquest. They're not going to get the numbers yet, but each satisfied owner is building a base like Toyota and Honda's got. Plus, Hyundai's way more interesting lately, see the Sonata yet?

Last edited:

You know what's another cool story, if all you care about is the ranking at the end of the article? Sonata beats Accord. It's in the Motor Trend link I posted.

Like I said, Hyundai has done a good job competing with Honda/Toyota

I didn't quite get that out of your post when you called Hyundai a "cheap shitbox company." Glad to see you changing your tune.

but the Japanese are still better overall.

That sentence only makes sense if you are the sort of person who looks at country versus country instead of car versus car, which is a really shitty way to choose a car. Would you really prefer an Acura RL to a Genesis sedan V8?

I think you've just proved his point here. Hyundai is way cheaper than the flagships the Equus is going for, just like the Corvette is way cheaper than the 911s.
I was going off my original comment about the NSX being a Honda-badged product priced similarly to a 911.

You know what's another cool story, if all you care about is the ranking at the end of the article? Sonata beats Accord. It's in the Motor Trend link I posted.
New model beats few-years-old model. And like I said, eventually Hyundai might very well be highly competitive.

I didn't quite get that out of your post when you called Hyundai a "cheap shitbox company." Glad to see you changing your tune.
Honda and Toyota used to be cheap shitbox companies too. They've moved on. Hyundai, however, still has that reputation.

That sentence only makes sense if you are the sort of person who looks at country versus country instead of car versus car, which is a really shitty way to choose a car. Would you really prefer an Acura RL to a Genesis sedan V8?
Again, I meant Honda and Toyota specifically, when I said "Japanese" :)

I guess your logic can explain the success of the Touareg? Take a stab at it, but please no 181 references mmmkay :D