Renault-Nissan and Daimler May Share Platforms, Engines

Mr. Nice

Renault-Nissan and Daimler May Share Platforms, Engines

Daimler and Renault-Nissan could soon form a partnership that would see the two companies sharing future vehicle platforms and engine technologies. According to Automotive News and The Wall Street Journal, a partnership could be announced on April 14.

The plan would be to share vehicle components among the Daimler, Smart, Renault, and Nissan brands. The primary focus is expected to be on building a Smart Fortwo successor that would also serve as the basis for the next-generation Renault Twingo, and possibly an updated Mercedes-Benz A-class.

The groups would also work together on fuel-efficient powertrains, probably gasoline and diesel engines no larger than 1.8 liters. It also seems likely the two will share electric-drive technology, given that both companies are developing electric cars: Nissan will soon launch the Leaf and Daimler is developing an electric Smart Fortwo. Daimler also recently announced a partnership with Chinese company BYD to build a Chinese-market electric vehicle

Now that's... different.

Maybe Mercedes has decided that they have no idea how to make a good small car and Nissan has decades of experience with just that?

Yeah, Nissan has got decades of experience, but in the last few years, they seem to have totally forgotten about it.

Yeah, Nissan has got decades of experience, but in the last few years, they seem to have totally forgotten about it.

I blame the French. Also, in terms of what's available in its class here in the US, I like the Versa the best. :dunno:

I blame the French. Also, in terms of what's available in its class here in the US, I like the Versa the best. :dunno:

Nissan has been offering the Versa here as the Tiida for a few years now and I'm not too sure I've ever seen one on the road. I remeber reading a review about it and the conclusion was something along the lines that it would have been a fairly sound choice for a conservative and undemanding driver, if it weren't so ridiculously priced. I guess it works in the US, if they can price it right, where cars of this size are seen as a cheap, no-nonsense form of transport, but in Europe, the public transport is seen a no-nonsense, cheap form of transport, while from a car of this size, certain level of refinement is expected.

Didn't they learned with the mistakes that happened when they fusionized with Chrysler? Cost cutting quality issues where the problems, you only had to look at the old ML, gaps between bumper and wing where as wide as the Grand Canyon! Surely it'll be a good deal for Renault and Nissan, but honestly, it could be the absolute "f*ck up" for mercedes, if they start to let their vehicles beeing made out of some really flimsy plastics and the interior leather is coloured in that typical Renault smokersgrey, remember that? Its that grey thats abit yellowish. eeeeeeewww....

Honestly, after ending the decade with some really good cars from nearly all company's, its starting to get weird all over again, cost cutting is allready back in business and taking place. (Or as the people at Opel and Volkswagen would say: "Mr Lopez is back! ...sort of")

SLK based small RWD sports car for Nissan? No? I'd like it if Nissan made something to compete with the Miata.

I guess it works in the US, if they can price it right, where cars of this size are seen as a cheap, no-nonsense form of transport, but in Europe, the public transport is seen a no-nonsense, cheap form of transport, while from a car of this size, certain level of refinement is expected.

Interesting take. It's one of the biggest, roomiest cars in it's class, but the most common thing I hear about it is that it's one of the cheapest, most dull interiors in it's class, as well as driving like a minivan...but that's what you hear from people who haven't bought one. The people who bought them seem very happy with them. Then again, that was mostly the case with the Pontiac Aztek, too.

Last edited:
Interesting take. It's one of the biggest, roomiest cars in it's class, but the most common thing I hear about it is that it's one of the cheapest, most full interiors in it's class, as well as driving like a minivan...but that's what you hear from people who haven't bought one. The people who bought them seem very happy with them. Then again, that was mostly the case with the Pontiac Aztek, too.

Indeed, every review I've read has pointed to its comfortable ride, large amount of space and interior quality that rivals many midsize cars. My aunt and uncle love theirs.

Havent found any swedish reviews since it's a Nissan and we burn those at the stakes around here when they show up, so I had to resort to the internets. Top Gear writes
It?s cheap for a reason. Interior space is about the best thing about this one. What kind of name is Tiida anyway?

I personally think they started to go down with the N16 Pulsar, at least in our market. Not much inspiration or innovation with a rather lackluster power plant (normal ones)

The Versa isn't very smalll though. It is also insanely ugly.

074135.1-lg.jpg

Nissan has one good looking car, the 370z. The rest are offensively bad, including the GTR. I do like Nissan interiors as of late though.

Nice use of wood in the Maxima
2009-nissan-maxima-interior.jpg

Interesting, I could see this legitimately being mutually beneficial- or a huge disaster. it would be cool if Nissan and Mercedes worked together on that kick ass hybrid I've read about with nissan- with the electric motor being used as an addition not ever as the primary power source.

As for the versa talk, its ok but I'd never take one Before a Mazda 3.

Isn't Renault more worth talking about in terms of small cars? The Megane is right up there.

Nissan has been offering the Versa here as the Tiida for a few years now and I'm not too sure I've ever seen one on the road. I remeber reading a review about it and the conclusion was something along the lines that it would have been a fairly sound choice for a conservative and undemanding driver, if it weren't so ridiculously priced. I guess it works in the US, if they can price it right, where cars of this size are seen as a cheap, no-nonsense form of transport, but in Europe, the public transport is seen a no-nonsense, cheap form of transport, while from a car of this size, certain level of refinement is expected.

Its the Tiida here, too. Not very common, but it is cheap, priced on par with the Kia Cerato, and thats the sort of car it competes with. Its pretty much regarded as being one of the worst small cars you can buy, with wooly, lifeless handling and performance. In fact, in most comparisons I've read, its come very near, if not bottom, even below the aformentioned Kia. Its gotten to the point where its usually not even considered in small car purchases. Do we get a different version to the US or something?

It wouldn't be the first time. It's likely we get them with different suspension, etc., but there's no way to tell. Check out the comparisons over here; the Cerato is sold as the Forte here.

The Tiida is on sale here in Portugal too, thougth I've only seen one on the road so far. It looks like a cross between a Renault M?gane II and a Peugeot 307. For almost the same price, people prefer to buy the Qashqai, because it's way better than the Tiida in everything.