The FOOTball thread

Heathrow;1483623 * * * And in other news: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9064599.stm said:
BBC Sport ? Liverpool FC to be bought by Boston Red Sox owners [/url]

Any FG members in Boston, MA or USA who knows if these guys are OK?
The current pair of American owners are very unpopular with the Liverpool fan base and have put the club in ?300 million debt. :(
(?200 million of which has to be repaid by Oct 15th to the RBS Bank.)

:

Well his (John Henry) owners group bought the Red Sox in 2002 while they were mired in an 86 year long championship drought, some say curse, he made the management and spending decisions to bring them a championship 2 years later. As a fan of the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool I view this as a great move.

Well his (John Henry) owners group bought the Red Sox in 2002 while they were mired in an 86 year long championship drought, some say curse, he made the management and spending decisions to bring them a championship 2 years later. As a fan of the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool I view this as a great move.

Ah, good. thanks for that, I feel good times are ahead again for the Liverpool fans here.
It is a legendary club with a great history, sad to see it in such a shit state both on and off the field.

Well he can't do any worse than those two bums.

I was trying to be diplomatic for the american members on FG, but a nicely put summary anyway. :lol:

H&G... no, actually, just Mr. Hicks... is not going out without a fight.

I am crossing my fingers for the best, but the amount of ill feeling I have towards Hicks is unbelievable...

Such a shame that some people have absolutely no dignity.

H&G... no, actually, just Mr. Hicks... is not going out without a fight.

I am crossing my fingers for the best, but the amount of ill feeling I have towards Hicks is unbelievable...

Such a shame that some people have absolutely no dignity.

It is business. Any sane person would be holding out for as much money as they can.

But the amount of money they want for the club is ridiculously over the top. Apparently it's about twice what they're being offered now.

Here's for hoping the deal goes through. It is very sad to see Liverpool be in the state it is now. And it'll only get worse if they don't do something soon, can't imagine players like Gerrard and especially Torres being satisfied with staying at a club that performs like this.

First, there was the sale announcement by the Chairman and board of Liverpool FC.

.. then, Hicks & Gillett ?sack? the board and go to court to stop the sale, here:
BBC Sport ? Hicks set to fight Liverpool sale to NESV in High Court

..and then in steps RBS Bank, who are owed ?200m, who successfully apply for a legal injunction notice to prevent H & G sacking the Chairman and board:
BBC Sport ? Liverpool Football Club case set for High Court

.. and to make this sporting and legal soap opera complete, today, in steps a new bidder:
BBC Business ? Liverpool to receive new bid from Singapore billionaire

Happy, happy lawyers making loads of dosh! :rolleyes:

Effectively, as they can not pay off the debts owed to RBS - the club is on the verge of being a state owned football club. This is through the asset being owned by RBS, which it self is mostly owned by HM Government, itself only in power due to the voting of the British People but by the good offices of foreign borrowings. Phew. ? Everyone is in hock.

They dropped the suite, basically because they really didn't have a case. I shouldn't say they, I should say Hicks... Gillett seems like he wanted out ages ago, and has been quiet throughout this whole thing. Based on NESV's track record, I am hopeful of a better future, but it's been a terrible week for me, and I'm glad we're now looking at the backs of this past regime. Cheers to good future ahead for us!

My first away trip in two years my last one being to the Cup final in Los Angeles. Can't wait till we beat Philly tonight.

My first away trip in two years my last one being to the Cup final in Los Angeles. Can't wait till we beat Philly tonight.

Thierry Henry was outstanding when he was at the Arsenal, how is his form now?
Enjoy the game, Go-Bulls!
:)

They dropped the suite, basically because they really didn't have a case. I shouldn't say they, I should say Hicks... Gillett seems like he wanted out ages ago, and has been quiet throughout this whole thing. Based on NESV's track record, I am hopeful of a better future, but it's been a terrible week for me, and I'm glad we're now looking at the backs of this past regime. Cheers to good future ahead for us!

Well I?m pleased for you and all the other Liverpool fans around the world and for all fans of football really.

A question for any German FG members, about the Bundesliga.and the ?50 plus 1? rule. (This I believe means that a football club?s fans own a minimum 51% of the club shares.)

Using the Liverpool sale as an example:
[example]
The price of Liverpool was ?300 million and let?s assumes that there were 30,000 fans available for the purchase.
Each fan would have to pay over ?5,000 per share to get to 51% and ?10,000 for 100% ownership. And that is just the start before any new players or new stadium

I just don?t think that there would be enough fans interested that have the required amount of money to invest, in order to make it work
[/example]

So, how do the fans of Bundesliga Clubs afford to buy them and continue to invest large amounts?
:?

Thierry Henry was outstanding when he was at the Arsenal, how is his form now?
Enjoy the game, Go-Bulls!

Eh he looks like most players do when they come into a team mid season. He's done decently, but I think he still getting used to everything over here.

Kinda pissed we played a weak squad last night at Philly with a 4-5-1 in the first half which cost us two goals, but a change to the 4-4-2, and presto a goal! Still pissed at the tactical decisions made, but eh we're in the playoffs so the game didn't mean much.

All I want is our first piece of silverware...I guess in Hans Backe we trust.

Last edited:
So Rooney signs a new contract until 2015. Am I the only one seeing through the PR BS that he will stay until the end of next season ie the length of his previous contract and then move on just like Ronaldo did and United are just securing their investment by making sure he can't leave on a Bosman?

So Rooney signs a new contract until 2015. Am I the only one seeing through the PR BS that he will stay until the end of next season ie the length of his previous contract and then move on just like Ronaldo did and United are just securing their investment by making sure he can't leave on a Bosman?

Would be very suprised if that happens. This isn't the same situation as with Ronaldo. Ronaldo wanted to leave for a long time before he left. Don't really think Rooney wanted to leave that badly considering his reasons in the first place. "United lacks ambitions"? Only thing United is lacking is good owners.
Happy to see him stay and now we can put all this crap behind us and focus on what really matters, winning!

Well if it does remember where you heard it first.

Away draw against Stoke this weekend. Probably.

Yeah we will see;)
Wouldnt be suprised if it ended 2-2:/

That is the way I see it too. I would be very surprised if Rooney is still with the club beyond the end of next season.

I hadn?t thought of that, to be honest.
But it does give the club some interesting options now, that it wouldn?t otherwise have had.