Hotfile ordered by judge to hand over all user data to MPAA

Hashes. Trust me, one thing I have learned the hard way is that file sharing lawyers always try to get you, even with the worst possible evidence, because most people are scared to fight them and take it to court, at least in Germany.

That's true. Another thing to consider is ISP's who use DHCP. If the MPAA wanted to prosecute people, they would not only have to get all the information from Hotfile, but then have to go to another court and convince ISP's to share user information, then they would need to match every file downloaded with the IP and the MAC address...

Then they would need to come to your house, find out which computer has that MAC address, discover that you don't possess such a machine (because you've upgraded/sold/etc...), find out that your Wi-Fi is unprotected (or if it is protected, that you have shared it with 20 of your friends...)

The list goes on.

That's true. Another thing to consider is ISP's who use DHCP. If the MPAA wanted to prosecute people, they would not only have to get all the information from Hotfile, but then have to go to another court and convince ISP's to share user information, then they would need to match every file downloaded with the IP and the MAC address...

Then they would need to come to your house, find out which computer has that MAC address, discover that you don't possess such a machine (because you've upgraded/sold/etc...), find out that your Wi-Fi is unprotected (or if it is protected, that you have shared it with 20 of your friends...)

The list goes on.
The **AAs decided long ago that "IP address = person" is good enough as long as they can find a judge who's dumb enough to believe it (that would be nearly all of them).

If you use a router, your ISP never sees the MAC address of any of the machines connected to it ... only the MAC address of the router itself.

Last edited:
In completely unrelated news the judge just retired to his own private island in the Bahamma's :p They need to appeal the case there is no legal justification for gathering ALL user data. All they would really need for statistical analysis is unique ULs and DLs along with filenames.

This is why TOR is a good idea :)

That's true. Another thing to consider is ISP's who use DHCP. If the MPAA wanted to prosecute people, they would not only have to get all the information from Hotfile, but then have to go to another court and convince ISP's to share user information, then they would need to match every file downloaded with the IP and the MAC address....

ISPs are required to keep that information anyway, and will provide it when required to do so by a court (all depending on local laws, of course).

This is why TOR is a good idea :)
I couldn't possibly comment (other than to say that I'm a happy Tor user).

TOR has very limited bandwidth for this kind of stuff though, it was always way slower than my phone :/
There are basically three ways to avoid this shit:

a) rent a seedbox
b) rent a server, run VPN
c) usenet

I don't say "use private trackers" because shit can hit you there anyways.

There are theoretical and proof-of-concept attacks to get your real IP adress even if you are using TOR. Of course it makes things more complicated, but so does forced encryption.

This is why you need to use non-US based hosts. So far Rapidshare, Megaupload and now Hotfile's been proven to turn over details. If possible I guess upload with an VPN, but that's probably not practical for uploaders as the speed will be slowed. As for us downloaders, we don't have to worry. Downloading is still legal in the US and most countries, just not uploading.

This is why you need to use non-US based hosts. So far Rapidshare, Megaupload and now Hotfile's been proven to turn over details.
MU is in Hong Kong-based, which is all there's to say. My point:
The problem is that most, if not all countries that are able to provide the rackspace and bandwidth to run a one-click filehoster are within the MPAA's reach.
stands.

You have bandwidth caps and set your country on fire when losing in hockey. Just saying.

MU is in Hong Kong-based, which is all there's to say. My point:

stands.

MU is a HK based company, but their servers are in US, so they maybe not be the ones releasing the IP address, but their server hosts are required to do so.

But they jail you for going 10km/h over the limit and there are no racetracks. Switzerland, the Nazis of automobiles.
That's why the taxes are so low - they allow us the freedom to speed, we just have to pay for it, and the governments generously takes that into account when setting taxes :tease: