Vermot Judge Gives Convicted Rapist 60-Day Sentence

MPower

Bill O'Reilly is trying to get some answers and get that guy off the bench as a judge. Hopefully he won't be a judge for long.

I am also surprised there is no outrage or discussion on this, atleast the topic is up now so we will see something of a discussion.

I can't speak for everyone but my reason for not posting here is that it isn't really a topic of discussion. it's more of a "yeah that's lame" end of story kind of thing, not much to discuss.

At first glance, that sucks. People serve more time for possession.
I didn't read the whole thing though, what reason did the judge give?

zenkidori said:
I can't speak for everyone but my reason for not posting here is that it isn't really a topic of discussion. it's more of a "yeah that's lame" end of story kind of thing, not much to discuss.
True, unless you are the sort of person that agrees with the judge, and surprisingly, there doesnt seem to be anyone here. Thats a good thing.

Wolud be interesting to read the judges verdict. Can anyone provide a link ?

He said something to the fact of, "I don't believe in punishment". Seriously, he said that. A judge.

:bangin:

justin syder said:
He said something to the fact of, "I don't believe in punishment". Seriously, he said that. A judge.

:bangin:

Pffftt. What an diot. Why'd he become a judge then? I wonder what he thinks SHOULD be done about people who do such terrible things?

The problem with sexual crimes is that punishment alone doesnt work, even psychological threatment doesnt always help, the problem really is that he didnt give him the full legal punishment, since many people believe that punishment doesnt always help in these case, but keeping him out of society would be better. Even if he would do it again.

///M said:
Z Draci said:
We need to start doing this again:

guillotine.jpg

Let's bring back slavery and take away women's rights while we're at it.

How the hell does execution, let alone public execution help?

Not that I would advocate it but, to ansswer your question, it would probably make people think twice about doing something bad. In countries where the sentences are severe for stealing and whatnot, those things happen less. There are countries where driving drunk is punishable by death and, supposedly, there are very few cases of drunk drivers.

So you admire the Saudi system?

You can go on and on about how it's great and how people will think twice, but I lived there and I'd give up everything to live in a country where I don't loose a body part for every crime I commit.

///M said:

You can go on and on about how it's great and how people will think twice, but I lived there and I'd give up everything to live in a country where I don't loose a body part for every crime I commit.

Nope, I don't. I was just using it as an example to show how the possibility of an extreme punishment usually deter people from doing the crime. I don't agree with the punishments though.

Public execution just makes people think harder about how to not get caught. There is no evidence whatesoever to suggest that it serves as a deterrent to crime. Sexual crimes of all things aren't shit that people just think up and do, like robbery, these people are sick in the head, and very impuslive, it won't solve anything.

zenkidori said:
Public execution just makes people think harder about how to not get caught. There is no evidence whatesoever to suggest that it serves as a deterrent to crime. Sexual crimes of all things aren't shit that people just think up and do, like robbery, these people are sick in the head, and very impuslive, it won't solve anything.

In the case of sexual crimes I am not sure what would work. Things like public executions would NOT work because, like you said, these people have a sickness. They can't NOT be punished though, and the judge only giving a rapist 2 months in jail is ridiculous.

In general, therapy needs to be involved and, in extreme cases, chemical castration or something like. But even that won't work some of the time since rape is a crime of violence and not sexuality and they may just find some other way to fulfill the need to be violent.

I don't think there will ever be an absolute way to punish sex crimes.

///M said:

Are you saying that you are a criminal?
It would not matter how strict punishments are if you are a law abiding citizen. The fact that you don't like draconian punishment means that you actually plan on breaking laws! I could care less if they punished petty crimes like shoplifting with the guillotine. I won't be the one getting my head chopped off for trying to steal a candy bar!

Public executions will be a great public service. It is a very bold statement that shows how crimes are indeed punished in this society. I think the current system in the US has too many grey spots and loopholes to get off the minimum punishments required by the law. (Look at all the celebrities getting off crimes.) We are setting a very bad example to society by allowing greyness to exist in the law. There will always be crime in a society with poverty or lack of strong moral ethics. But we do need to reinforce the existing system to the fullest.

In Japan, you get something like a $3000 fine for drunk driving. Also, every passenger in the car gets a $1500 fine on top of that regardless if they are drunk or not. Do you think drunk driving decreased in Japan after this punishment was introduced? Indeed it did!

In Singapore, you get a citation if you spit in public. Also in Japan, you get a citation for using your cellphone in public areas. All of these laws were introduced because a small number of ill-considerate individuals abused their rights in public.

No, they will not be a great idea.

Studies have shown that states that impose the death penalty did not show any reduction in crime in comparison to those that did. The problem is that people that have commited those crimes couldn't care less if there was a death penalty or not. Why? Because there is something psychologically wrong with them. You and I might be deterred by such measures, but this is because we would not normally go and commit the same offences. I have a good friend who is a criminal defence lawyer and she has do deal with people like this day in day out. When they commit the crime, the last thing that is on their mind are the consequences.

The reasons that harsh punishments for crimes like drink driving and other petty issues work is that the general public do usually consider the consequences, and in turn if the punishment becomes more severe, they will more likely err on the side of caution.