Speeder busted using Youtube video

Alok

The TomTom did it.
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra 5F
Norwegian police track speeder through YouTube

Here?s one for the ?what not to do? files. Turns out that a speeder posted a video on YouTube of his escapades, namely taking his car up to 150mph on public roads where the limits only reach about 62mph. Police in Norway found the video and managed to track him down following an electronic trail he left online, reports Reuters. He was then slapped with a $1300 fine. Ouch.

There are a number of videos on YouTube of people speeding on the roads. One such video is a BMW M6 apparently doing 340km/h on a publich highway in Greece. You can watch it after the jump.

[YOUTUBE]UWhkGybzzIw[/YOUTUBE]

Heh fortunately our police aren't as dedicated:

Boy racers have been driving through quiet suburban streets at more than 100mph and then posting their times on a website for others to beat.

The site describes two leafy residential roads in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, as the "ultimate driving challenge" - despite having a speed limit of just 30mph.

It includes a map of the 500m "course", which starts at Greenway Lane, goes over a set of traffic lights and then down Copt Elm Road, in the Charlton Kings area of the town.

Dozens of drivers have taken part in the challenge and posted their times and the car they drive on to the website. These are then added to a league table and each driver is given a rating.

One claimed he had hit 115mph as he tore down Copt Elm Lane in his Honda Civic - earning himself the top rating of 8.9 out of 10. Five other drivers have raced at more than 80mph through the course - which has been dubbed by the boy racers as the "Copt Elm Challenge".

Seven videos capturing the men as they drive down the street have been posted on their own website. In one, a young driver is seen careering round a corner and nearly crashing into an oncoming car, while another shows a teenager laughing while approaching a blind bend at high speed.

Their homepage has been removed from the Yahoo Geocities website, along with videos which had been posted on the YouTube webpage.

News of the high-speed challenges has prompted fears that someone will be killed unless police take action against the thrill-seekers.

Charlton Kings councillor Paul McLain said: "I would be horrified if they did reach these speeds. It does seem unlikely given the layout of the roads - it sounds like bravado. But it is a cause for concern. There's a school just off the road and the village centre, it's very much a residential area. It's going to be a matter of getting a higher police presence to nip this in the bud and talking to the highway engineers about traffic-calming measures."

Inspector Keith Fagan, of Gloucestershire Police's road policing unit, said: "There has been an issue of speeding around Cheltenham town centre and other areas. If we find people breaking the law and driving in an anti-social manner, we have the power to seize the vehicle. Traffic intelligence officers are aware of the problems and patrols are being stepped up."

There's a few of these challenges around my area.

You know, the emergence of YouTube and Google Video are much bigger than we give them credit for. There's lots of internet fads but everyone is jumping on the YouTube train... so many new things you can do with it. Like that video of the guy getting tasered at UCLA...

I would've imagined there'd be some law against using this kind of evidence to catch someone though. Not sure...

I love how "anti-social" has become a catch phrase for anything illegal, frowned upon, or otherwise distasteful here in the UK. Are they going to start handing out ASBO's to streetracers or something? In Vancouver, they take your car and your license.

I would've imagined there'd be some law against using this kind of evidence to catch someone though. Not sure...

Well in the UK there's the Data Protection Act but if the police have reason to believe a crime has been committed and can get a warrant then they can ask for the data. Same sort of thing for gettng mobile phone records... It gets trickier if the server's abroad and the police are here for example, but there is a legal framework.

That Norwegian guy was DAMN LUCKY. They lacked some evidence, and $1300 is a SMALL ticket to get for something like that in Norway.

I didn't know that you can be copped for speeding like that, wouldn't it be a long process if that guy chooses to appear in court? Like the video could be fake, speedo could be inaccurate, there is no actual police certified equipment that could tell the speed in that video. Obviously you could time the distance markers or lamppost on the highway but the video could have been fast forwarded etc etc etc.

Do u remember the Jap guy who got busted the same way after he videotaped himself doing 200mph in his F40 on the motorway?

EDIT: Woot!! 700th post!!

340 km/h!?! <_< :hammer:
Do u remember the Jap guy who got busted the same way after he videotaped himself doing 200mph in his F40 on the motorway?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ctI4Pf0IyaQ&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

so how do you know if your a "youtube" racer or just a spirited driver?

so how do you know if your a "youtube" racer or just a spirited driver?

How many grannies do you kill on average per week?

less than 10: spirited driver
more than 10: (youtube) racer

8)

Seriously tho, depends on why you do it and if you still have some regard for traffic safety. Most of these "youtube" racers drive at idiotic high speeds with a total disregard for other people's safety. If you just like to drive fast and enjoy cornering at above average speed, but still do watch out for other people, and most importantly you don't give a rodent's behind about the time you posted through some or another passage, i'd just call you a spirited driver.

Great breakdown of the situation Adunaphel... I agree, there's nothing wrong with being a spirited driver but it's just stupid to drive uselessly fast. I mean it's okay to break some traffic laws here and there because when those laws are legislated, the legislators have to make them low enough so it's even safe for the most unsafe and unaware driver.

I hate bad drivers... people who just don't look where they go and just think there's one car on the road (i.e. themselves). Driving would be a whole lot easier if there was nobody else on the road...

I hate bad drivers... people who just don't look where they go and just think there's one car on the road (i.e. themselves). Driving would be a whole lot easier if there was nobody else on the road...

Yeah, especially people who don't look where they're going or are doing dangerous stuff just to advance 2 cars in a traffic jam.

But spirited driving rules. You don't need a fast car, or one that handles well, although both do help. It's just about finding the fun stuff in driving in everyday traffic. And even in a 1.3 Ford Fiesta it's pretty easy to have a lot of fun.