Australian version of Top Gear

Rubbish, most car enthusiasts are hormone driven males who'd give anything (maybe a left testicle; Tone you'll have to improvise...) to see women and cars come together on a show such as Top Gear!

Well, there's my right one. But I'm saving that on the off chance that some would take it in exchange for an hour behind the wheel of a Bugatti Veyron ...

I'm taking my Corolla in for a service tomorrow...I wonder if they accept work experience students...?

If you're serious about killing your Corolla, don't take it in for a service. Killing Corollas is one of my special skills. My first car was a 1973 Corolla that I managed to kill ... twice. The first time it was because none of the previous owners had changed the oil, and I didn't realise I needed to change the oil yet either (I was 16 ... what did I know about cars then?), therefore I managed to blow a hole in one of the pistons. Previous oil change was estimated as happening sometime in 1984. Not a bad effort for a car I bought in 1992 ...

Thankfully, my best mate's dad is a diesel mechanic, so I spent a whole Saturday with him and my best mate rebuilding the Corolla's engine. Ran like a champ until about 9 months later, when the thermostat housing disintegrated, and I couldn't put enough coolant into the car in time to stop the head from cracking and warping. :eek:

The moral of the story? Don't change any fluids and your Corolla will die. In 2017. :D

Last edited:
To Kill a Mocking..Corolla ;)

To Kill a Mocking..Corolla ;)

Well, there's my right one. But I'm saving that on the off chance that some would take it in exchange for an hour behind the wheel of a Bugatti Veyron ...

Problem is, is that you still need balls to drive that thing :p

If you're serious about killing your Corolla, don't take it in for a service. Killing Corollas is one of my special skills. My first car was a 1973 Corolla that I managed to kill ... twice. The first time it was because none of the previous owners had changed the oil, and I didn't realise I needed to change the oil yet either (I was 16 ... what did I know about cars then?), therefore I managed to blow a hole in one of the pistons. Previous oil change was estimated as happening sometime in 1984. Not a bad effort for a car I bought in 1992 ...

Thankfully, my best mate's dad is a diesel mechanic, so I spent a whole Saturday with him and my best mate rebuilding the Corolla's engine. Ran like a champ until about 9 months later, when the thermostat housing disintegrated, and I couldn't put enough coolant into the car in time to stop the head from cracking and warping. :eek:

The moral of the story? Don't change any fluids and your Corolla will die. In 2017. :D

:lol:

It took a mechanic to kill my old 1980 Toyota Corona, which was the car I used to learn to drive. Auto, but no A/C, power steer-well no power anything really. Top speed before the service was about 90km/h. After the service this dropped down to about 60km/h which was about the time we decided it was time to replace it. It's interesting when you're on your L's and dad falls asleep beside you...

I don't intend on deliberately killing the Corolla. I'm just eager to move on to something better. I figure it'll die only when all the rubber seals crack and fall off due to extreme old age.

Problem is, is that you still need balls to drive that thing :p

Nonsense. I found one to rent in London. :)

http://img253.imageshack.**/my.php?image=02012006jo7.jpg

Then in 2002 we got the format we all know and love, with Clarkson, Hammond and the unlovable tub of lard, Jason Dawe. He was kicked after the first season, and James May was his replacement.

Err - isn't the story that James actually presented the program in place of Jeremy Clarkson when he left, then came back again.

Anyway.... Just got this through:

Many thanks for sending us your completed application to become one of Top Gear Australia?s on air team.

We?re thrilled that so many people have expressed an interest in the show. We?ve received thousands of enquiries and applications, which will take us some time to go through. Sadly, because of the level of interest, you won?t hear from us again unless you make the next stage - but we want to thank you for the effort you put into your application.

We hope that if you don?t make it on to the team you?ll continue to support Top Gear Australia by watching the program, or maybe even coming along to be a member of our audience when filming gets underway later this year.

Regards,

The Top Gear Australia Team

Last edited:
Err - isn't the story that James actually presented the program in place of Jeremy Clarkson when he left, then came back again.
Yes, James May pretty much took Jeremy's role after he left in the 1998 season. But he wasn't included in the new format until the second season.

A Cairns newspaper is reporting 18,000 entries.

Gold Coast newspaper story:
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/01/28/7160_gossip-news.html

""We're going to pretend to race the motorbike and the Porsche and then I'm going to hit a golf ball off the top of a moving Land Rover and then we'll cut to me catching it at the Great Wall of China," said Luke."

Quote of the day: "Yeah the Australian Stig is just going to be a lebanese guy who goes out with his buddies and does fully sick burnouts and threatens people.?

Last edited:
Just want to wish all you guys the best of luck with all your applications. Some of the videos posted on YOUTUBE were pretty good. Given complete lack of any experience most have in making videos and standing in front of them, I think you all did excellant with what you have, or have had available to you. You all make my application seem like a day at preschool with a box brownie. I think we'll agree we are all punching above our weight with this, but hey, sometimes (as long as there's no personal injury) that's a good thing.

I havent got a letter, yet... I probably sent the application to the wrong address anyways..

You all make my application seem like a day at preschool with a box brownie

I doubt that very much. By this I mean 'hurry up and put your video on YouTube ... we need more FG representation!!'. :D

I think we'll agree we are all punching above our weight with this, but hey, sometimes (as long as there's no personal injury) that's a good thing.

I think that's a fair call. Some of the videos on YouTube are surprisingly ordinary, although there are some that are also very good. Not that my video is brilliant, but I've been getting generally good feedback.

I havent got a letter, yet... I probably sent the application to the wrong address anyways..

Me neither, but I got a semi-personalised reply to the supporting info I emailed over to them (i.e. scans of my published work, even though I sent them colour photocopies of the same ... just wanted to cover my bases). So I guess that counts for something.

Good luck!

With auditions like the 2 above, they should create a new segment.
"Fans in cars they could get hold of to do an audition for TG Australia" or FICTCGHTDAAFTGA.
I'd watch it, they could be a guest reviewer on the show and everything.

I actually started writing this post as a bit of a joke, but it isn't a bad idea, Get these 2 guys on 1st.

Anyway.... Just got this through:

Many thanks for sending us your completed application to become one of Top Gear Australia?s on air team.

We?re thrilled that so many people have expressed an interest in the show. We?ve received thousands of enquiries and applications, which will take us some time to go through. Sadly, because of the level of interest, you won?t hear from us again unless you make the next stage - but we want to thank you for the effort you put into your application.

We hope that if you don?t make it on to the team you?ll continue to support Top Gear Australia by watching the program, or maybe even coming along to be a member of our audience when filming gets underway later this year.

Regards,

The Top Gear Australia Team
Write them a letter back thanking them, saying you understand and asking to be put at the top of their audience ticket list -- shows you're dead keen and may make a slight difference when they assess the videos - got nothing to loose. ...

With auditions like the 2 above, they should create a new segment.
"Fans in cars they could get hold of to do an audition for TG Australia" or FICTCGHTDAAFTGA.
I'd watch it, they could be a guest reviewer on the show and everything.

I actually started writing this post as a bit of a joke, but it isn't a bad idea, Get these 2 guys on 1st.

So many people came out of the woodwork to offer me their cars when I mentioned I was doing this BMW M5, MB CLK63, Aston Martin Vantage, etc.

Write them a letter back thanking them, saying you understand and asking to be put at the top of their audience ticket list -- shows you're dead keen and may make a slight difference when they assess the videos - got nothing to loose. ...

So do we get confirmation letters in the mail? Cause i sent my about a week ago and still have got nothing?

I called them up and they said they got it, but u i dont just want to rely on that, because they could have easily just thought 'shit another top gear guy....yeeeah here it is, bye'

just wondering, is the final name going to be Top Gear Australia? not TG Oz or anything like that?

Assume so. Thats how SBS are referring it it.

Let's be clear here: I do not want to watch Ray Martin host TGA.

It would not be good. He'd be reviewing campervans for the grey nomads, electric scooters for pensioners and toyota crowns with caravans on the back (extra points if anyone can remember where that crown gag came from).

Any word on where they might be filming it yet? I would love to be in the audience.