Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

On the other side of the equation you had things like the Chevrolet Torque Drive.

2015-10-05_17-08-17.jpg

This was sort of the opposite to VW's autostick. In essence, it's a normal GM 2-Speed powerglide and still controlled through a standard column shift; but it lacks the solenoids and valve body required for shifting automatically..

chevy-torque-drive.png

At a stoplight, you dumped the column shift in first and moved it to second at about 30mph or so. You could of course start in Hi if the road was downhill and you were not in a hurry.

On the other side of the equation you had things like the Chevrolet Torque Drive.

2015-10-05_17-08-17.jpg

This was sort of the opposite to VW's autostick. In essence, it's a normal GM 2-Speed powerglide and still controlled through a standard column shift; but it lacks the solenoids and valve body required for shifting automatically..

chevy-torque-drive.png

At a stoplight, you dumped the column shift in first and moved it to second at about 30mph or so. You could of course start in Hi if the road was downhill and you were not in a hurry.

PUT IT IN H!

2015-10-05_17-08-17.jpg

chevy-torque-drive.png

?

Wasn‘t the Buick Dynaflow a manually shifted slushbox as well?

zpHdsHY.jpg

VW's Autostick (and Porsche's Sportomatic) wasn't really an automatic. You got a normal manual gearbox with a mechanical gearstick in a normal H pattern. I say normal, but unlike a normal manual it had a P position.

Here's the weird part - between the engine and trans you had a clutch AND a torque converter. The torque converter allowed you to drive it in traffic like an automatic.

That reminds me of the early 80's RWD Mitsubishi Galant 2.3 Turbo diesel. Manual transmission with a torque converter and a parking position. They also made the twin stick Colt during the same years...

Mitsubishi-Galant-e5a8a021bad94bb9-large.jpg

Last edited:
Did all these manufacturers develop these independently or was there a particularly pushy supplier that sold it to multiple companies? Feels like a lot of R&D time and attention into what turned out to be a dead-end technology. See also: Saab Sensonic.
1575841268930.png

Did all these manufacturers develop these independently or was there a particularly pushy supplier that sold it to multiple companies? Feels like a lot of R&D time and attention into what turned out to be a dead-end technology. See also: Saab Sensonic.
View attachment 3556659

I think it was independent development as the idea of a clutchless manual has been done many times but in many different ways over the past 70 years.

Is this car made for an octopus.

Nope. It's not all that hard to operate, but at the same time it was so successful that it didn't last long in the marketplace. It was replaced by shifters like the B&M Starshifter and whatever the Hurst clone is of that (the V-Matic, I think.)

TIL Chrysler makes a 300 SRT with a 6.4L Hemi...... only for Australia. The best we get is the 5.7L.

Don’t see why they won’t make it for us. Car is federalized as is the engine. The old 300 SRT8s have a cult following and the new one would sell gangbusters. Mopar guys would eat it up. And people who just want a fast American sedan with a little more refinement than the Charger. I’d get it if they decided to make the 300 a Pentastar only couch on wheels, but since they already but the 5.7 in it, might as well go all the way.

The funniest thing was that I messaged 3 of my friends at FCA when I found out, and none of them knew they made that thing.

Manual shifting makes no sense in that scenario either, let the car shift at redline (or w/e point gives you best acceleration)
I never said drag racing guys made any sense.

I mean, they love the shit out of manualized powerglides. Two speeds...

Their love of manualized transmissions probably comes from the same place as their love of carbs. Electronics scare them. And getting a transmission to shift right where you want it without electronics is deep magic.