[03x01] October 19th, 2010

[03x01] October 19th, 2010

• Total voters
I think it was more of a case of them already filming the segments, and realised there was a backlash of him being a "proper" host, so hopefully he didnt do too many segments.

I think it may have been a case of them filming then realising he was utter shit!

I liked it, the two new presenters worked well and the challenge was good fun and wonderfully shot. But it did feel rushed.

7/10 for me, not bad.

The challenge wasn't too bad. It's made for an audience that haven't seen the original TGUK, so of course it'll feel like a rehash for us. I don't like the two new presenters, but I'll give them a few more episodes before bashing them too much. The star car is too shitty imo, are they really that limited on the budget? A Ford Fiesta or something would've been better than that thing. Still, not a bad start.

I actually like Ewen. He seems genuinely excited by everything and his enthusiasm is quite fun to see. Can't be bothered going into a detailed review, so here's some dot points:
- I want to go sailing in Lake Eyre. That looked epic.
- I thought Steve's visor problems were a bit amusing.
- Going on the wrong track seemed highly scripted.
- Shane Warne sucks.
- New track looks interesting, bit of an improvement on the last one.
- Episode seemed too short. Way too many bloody ads!
- I'm giving it a 6 overall.

I gave it a 3/10 .

This episode felt really horribly done after The Ashes special was so epic. The hosts aren't very good or fun (except Steve, but he's been with TGA since the begining so he should be decent by now, which he is), the car review was pointless and it just felt like they were trying to make a cheap, shitty ripoff of TG UK instead of their own thing which is now totally breaking how it felt with the first two series'.

The Lake Eyre segment felt like every TG UK challenge, but with a bit of shite injected.
The SIAU (Star In A Ute) idea was a bit too stereotypical and felt like they were trying to make it slightly different than TG UK.

I think give it back to SBS, put Warren and James (or Warren and Charlie) back as hosts and the show will probably instantly be twice as good. I'm going to keep watching as it's something fun(ish) and car-related in the TG UK off-season, and I do hope it improves, but I seriously doubt that it will.

As a sidenote, this gives me a rather bad feeling about TG USA. The TG USA guys, from what i've seen in the trailers, seem to sort of be going the same route as TGA which means it'll basically be rubbish.

I know that no show can be as good as TG UK and no hosts can be as good as James, Jeremy and Richard, but i'd really hope that when a show is in it's early days and trying to find its legs, it wouldn't be as shit as this, especially after 2 series.

Another sidenote, I recently was browsing around TG episodes and decided to watch some TGUK Series 1, 2 and 3 stuff and it was far better than this.

Charlie would only be good to stand in as an Aussie James May, that quirky old fashioned wierdo thing.

Charlie would only be good to stand in as an Aussie James May, that quirky old fashioned wierdo thing.

I always thought that was Warren's schtick.

Warren needs his own show where he travels around Oz wineries in an old Jag with a guy named....

last time I saw one of those was 10+ years ago. I remember it vividly because the bed came in very handy

My friend has a 1970 El Camino so I see one pretty often I would post a pic of the prototype el camino Gm made out of a Caprice wagon/Impala SS but its 3 am here and i'm going to bed. maybe tomorrow

If there was one thing that I thought showed a lot of promise, it was when Ewan started talking about how the 70's cars reflected the cultures that built them.

There was something very TopGear about that.

TGAUS

TGAUS

I liked the episode but was disappointed in the supercar review. I like watching the challenges but I watch the show to hear about new supercars and the presenter for the Morgan segment was really quite boring. I love when Clarkson can present you a car and tell you every detail about that car....while doing 180mph at the same time. I want every Top Gear from every country to be successful so I hope they improve on this part of the show.

Question for you all...percentage wise, what percentage do you enjoy more out of a Top Gear Episode?

My percentage, 50% New Car Reviews - 40% challenges/skits - 10% SIARPC

They are rather good in the wilderness, but the studio bits can be seen scripted a K away. I haven?t seen the Aussie version since S1. I did regognize only one of the hosts, and I don?t have any clue what others have said, so I might seem to repeat them. Sorry, have a beer - or two.

Last edited:
Camera work on the Lake Eyre segment was great, they have that down.

But everything else just didn't feel right at all. The studio looks worse than in TG Russia :)eek:), their lighting color scheme doesn't make sense (why are the hosts washed in Hulk Green?), commercials every 3 minutes, and they butchered the host lineup.

If they could have brought everything over from Season 2, it would have been MUCH better, as it is I see this failing in the near future.

I'm sure there are reasons why the show migrated to nein but why are Freehand still doing it? The rest of their stuff ...like dancing with the stars and the nest...is pretty much either low-rent or at least fairly dim. that's reflected in the effort put in here...scripts? what scripts?

shane warne should only ever be on tv in a bowling capacity...he must be the only person who fancied his chances on TGA. whatever interest warren steve james and even charlie cooked up in S 1 and 2 has seemingly gone, and we're seeing a programme that's already pretty dumb in parts being dumbed down even further to the point that even pets will start leaving the room whenever it's on.

I voted a 6. I think there is potential, but the 42 minutes we'll get on nein means that everything is rushed. I reckon the UK v Oz special may have been filmed after a fair bit of this episode, so the hosts had a bit more of a relationship.

I think the SIARPC ute is a stupid idea. *someone* is going to crash it or stuff the gear box and then where will they be? I bet they don't have a spare out the back.

I kinda miss the news - just the 3 hosts sitting down talking about stuff!

Also, as has been mentioned by everyone, the sooner Warnie disappears from the top gear screen, the happier *everyone* will be.

I'm sure there are reasons why the show migrated to nein but why are Freehand still doing it? The rest of their stuff ...like dancing with the stars and the nest...is pretty much either low-rent or at least fairly dim. that's reflected in the effort put in here...scripts? what scripts?

shane warne should only ever be on tv in a bowling capacity...he must be the only person who fancied his chances on TGA. whatever interest warren steve james and even charlie cooked up in S 1 and 2 has seemingly gone, and we're seeing a programme that's already pretty dumb in parts being dumbed down even further to the point that even pets will start leaving the room whenever it's on.

Channel 9 bought the rights to screen TGUK here and to make TGA.

I thought the previous incernations of TGAU sucked big time, Charlie sucked, the stunts sucked, the presenters were too restrained, but..
I loved this episode ! 9/10
But I do have an intellectual disability.
Sure it was a bit too bogan-y and Ewan and Warne sucked like Bernard King but it was a funny show to watch, it had lots of interesting and panoramic scenery, so overall I reckon its a hit this time 'round.
The general public will like what they see if they tune in.
My whole family of 6 loved it and we are looking forward to seeing more.

However...there comes a time when a certain production company tries to reinvent a show so many times and changes the presenters and changes the format away from the UK style and eventually you realise its not the camera angles, the SIARPC, the talking heads out front, the script or the flood of ads that ruin a show...

its the production company that cant get it right.

Some of the guys like Warren are popular and were building up a following but he obviosly got the chop because of Shane coming in as the chunky Aussie wit.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.

The solution is bloody obvious.

The Master Chef people need to make Top Gear Australia.