2019 Icetrack Meet - Return of the Ditch!

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
I was blown away when I first got a table number at the big M. I probably only go there once or twice a year so it changes every time.

Great pictures, looks like another great slushmeet and it would’ve been great to be there but as it turns out I was ill for the whole weekend. Maybe that’s a punishment for not coming...

DaHitch

Car(s)
Volvo C30 2.0D - Triumph Tiger 1200 - Honda CB600F
Due to time constraints I decided to fly into Oulu and in the spirit of making it a proper Top Gear challenge with several cars racing down to Pudasjärvi, I decided to use public transport. No running either.

So early on Thursday morning I made my way to the train station for the first mode of transport.

A few hours and one missed train later I found myself flying over a very cloudy Western Europe.

First glympse of Finland

In Democratic Republic of Finland, you don't go to sauna, sauna comes to you.

Once inside the Helsinki Terminal I made my way to the next plane and found DanRom already waiting for me, we boarded almost immediately after and set off for Oulu

Then suddenly

I like window seats. :)

After landing in Oulu, we proceeded to pick up the rental.

It seems there was a bit of a mixup and we ended up with a Fabia instead.

It came with studded tyres, keyless start, heated seats, electric block heater and a fancy snow brush!

We also found Adrian in the Prisma parking lot (where we had Hesburger, I do not recommend).

From there on the 3 of us convoyed to the airfield, with the Tesla and its very effective light bar leading the way.

About an hour later we arrived at the cabin, first order of business:

Loose_unit arrived

Closed driver on a drunk course, do not attempt at home.

The next morning gave me the first decent view of our surroundings, I'd never seen a Draken before!

This should

have been

a panorama.

Mikas had the questionable honour of being the first one in need of a tow. :D

In the afternoon we went snowmobiling, everything looked very white.

By the time we made it to the halfway point on the hill, it was actually already getting quite dark.

After our little excursion through the snowy countryside and made our way back to the cabin where regular activities were resumed.

Loose_unit gave little demonstration, after which DanRom took the wheel.

Getting it out took a bit of work

But not as much as when Loose_unit beached it about an hour later. ;D

Getting it out took about 8 of us and the A7 about an hour of digging, pushing and pulling.

Once we got it out, regular activity was resumed.

@Galantti pls help

Last edited:

DaHitch

Car(s)
Volvo C30 2.0D - Triumph Tiger 1200 - Honda CB600F
Saturday morning. Yep, everything's still frozen.

The track was open for business, so we got to work!

Mikko having a go on the skidpad.

My first go on the airfield, didn't take long to find the snowbank ;D

After the E39 incident some wrenching happened.

Resulting in Repair v1.1

Aliens?

Sunday morning, things were even more frozen than the day before.

Hooning around on the airfield continued soon after, when an unnamed man reversed DaBoom's 1 series into a snowbank. :/

Luckily the damage wasn't major and was quickly mended.

Engage XDrive!

The E200 managed to find the bank a bit too hard as well and managed to lose its lower lip.

And its coolant. :(

The Fabia did make for a fairly stable camera platform.

MxM trying to have some fun in the Panda

3/8 cars with their hoods open, things are going well!

At the supermarket, with -28° outside I felt like crawling into the freezer to warm up.

Finland män prew his oun pior.

@Posmo, @nicjasno and @petersmith at work early in the morning at -30° in order to get the E200 running again.

Since it was so cold, we decided to do our part for global warming.

Cue Eurobeat
Multicar Jumpstarting!

Unfortunately the oil was just too thick and the engine completely frozen, it would hardly turn over.

Soon after DanRom and I said our goodbyes since we had a rental to return and a flight to catch.

A few hours later we found ourselves taking off, out of the frozen landscape.
It took me more than a few moments to realise that the white field in the background was not a field, but the frozen Golf of Bothnia covered in snow. o_0

Followed soon after by a very dramatic sunset.

Which seemingly went on forever since it was still going on hours later as I flew over Antwerp coming in to Brussels Airport.

As I walked out of the terminal, I was greeted with a temperature of -3°. How cute.

Icetrackmeet was good fun. Thanks to everyone that let me drive their cars. :)
I definitely want to come back next year, might even consider pitching in for a replacement for the E200. ;)

More pics & videos can be found here.

Last edited:

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Update - six months on, the e39 still fulfills daily driver duties and is set to even receive new TÜV. It might be in for a second Finnmeet.

nicjasno

BMW Perfectionist
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 BMW E30 325iT, '95 BMW E36 318ti compact
Update - six months on, the e39 still fulfills daily driver duties and is set to even receive new TÜV. It might be in for a second Finnmeet.
Has the oil cooler been changed or is our temporary fix now permanent?