Votes: 3 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Best episode of the current incarnation of Top Gear (S23-S25), which as a whole has been one of the better seasons of TG in the past decade. I feel Matt and Chris have real and genuine chemistry now so if they can bring Rory into the fold, we could see a new trio to pick up where CHM left off (and considering where TGT is, I think I might like such a TG more).

Considering the last two episodes of the "new" Top Gear and the last two seasons (!) of The Grand Tour, I'm starting to wonder how much nail biting is actually taking place on a given Sunday evening in front of the TV set of Clarkson, Hammond and May (and Andy Willman, for that matter)... :mrgreen:

I have to say, I strongly dislike this dominant-submissive theme with a whiff of gayness running between LeBlanc and Harris.

I know it's all scripted and stuff, but in my opinion it is absolutely unnecessary, quite humiliating for both the presenters and the show itself, and off-putting. I mean, LeBlanc starts to come off as an arrogant cocky dickhead, and Harris as a soft boneless victim. I mean, if that's how you want to be known and seen by the general public, then by all means go ahead. It's up to one's sense of dignity, I suppose. I much rather enjoy when they just drop this silly comedy and act themselves as equal pals.

The old Top Gear had a similar gay theme with both May and Hammond intermittently, but that was quite obvious and humorous and inoffensive in its nature, although I didn't like that much either. This new theme though...

Last edited:
That NASA segment with the Demon was really interesting. Chris is right, though, it's still a one-trick pony and always will be, no matter how many iterations there will be of it.

Rory's back down to earth driving normal cars this week with the Stinger, which is pretty cool, but it's a shame it looks nothing like the beautiful concept Stinger GT4. Doug DeMuro has a nice review on it (they're especially good if you like the quirks and features explained), but he never gets to thrash the cars like on these shows. The Hyundai is cool, but I'd still take a Golf over it.

The 2CV piece was a lot of fun. Thought there were some nice, genuine moments in it, like when Chris began giggling when Matt was giving him the stink eye as they drove along, when Matt called him an idiot, and when Chris mentioned the water temperature gauge. There's no denying the charm of the 2CV, and I'd be very happy to see one for real. (my brother did in Vancouver, but I have yet to)

Once again, this season is proving to be very, very good. I'll give this one a solid 8.

We had a 2CV from when I was about 4 till when I was about 16. I've always said I should try driving one myself but not sure I'll get that chance as they're rapidly disappearing now. I even lived in France for 8 years but never met anyone who had one. D'oh!

As regards the DIY nature of maintaining them - my dad's friend fixed it up for us after its first decade... by literally unbolting everything so it could be oiled and painted before reassembly. He realised at one point that he needed to go get a part that needed replacing, so he simply bolted the driver's seat back onto the bare chassis and rode it into town like that!

Best episode so far. Matt is definitely getting less artificial. Demon bit was really well done.

They could use a third man to balance Matt and Chris. Rory might be a bit too 'normal' to fit in. He'd fit fifth gear very well. (I say this with the utmost respect to Rory.)

I would have to say, that I'm quite happy with this season so far.

Yes, it smacks of both the old Top Gear and of the American Top Gear with Foust, Wood and Ferrara.

But, that is what made me like those shows. I only wish that GT would be working this hard to get viewers.