[26x03] Mar. 3, 2019

How'd you like it?

• Total voters

Ripplin

Car(s)
2003 VW Golf TDI
On this episode, Chris and Matt both review the new Bentley Continental GT, Rory reviews the new Renault Megane, and Chris takes the 911 GT2 RS on the track.

I enjoyed the jeweling reviews for the Bentley. ;) Taking it offroad reminds me of when Kris Meeke did it. I do think it's the best looking one yet, and is kinda cool, but still not a favorite. (a more rounded grille would help) I enjoyed the GT vs. Speed 8 race.

Nice seeing the old Renaults, especially the 5 and Clio V6. I hate those headlight...extensions? on the new one. That's a modern trend I hope dies off quickly. Another classic 'this car is disappointing...except' review. Didn't know about the rear wheel steering. Pretty cool, though I can't help but think that's more complications to break. LOVE the telemetry on your phone thing, though! (but yeah, it's a bit irresponsible)

The Porsche segment was ok, I guess. Though I like them enough, Porsches are never my favorites (and I really don't like that four headlight bulb arrangement they're using!), but I'll admit it's a really nice car.

This feels a lot like series 5-6 classic TG, with no-nonsense, honest, car reviews. Only wish that Rory's segment was a bit longer -- would've loved to see him drive the classic Renault hatches.

The Bentley segment was great. I think that may have worked better as a wrap-up to the episode just purely on that Speed 8 alone, rather than the GT2 RS which is nowhere near as special.

Overall though, this is the best episode since the Japan special from last series. Loved it.

Disappointed in this season so far. Think Grand Tour has amped up this season with some cracker episodes, and has left me a bit blah when it comes to Top Gear. Still a good show, just not a great one any more. First time in the history of Top Gear I have skipped SIARFC in all the episodes - Grand Tour has shown you don't need Celebs, and it leaves more time for Car stuff.

The celeb segment was way too long, the rest was okay but nothing amazing, the whole point of a hatchback is its cheaper but does more, Rory doesnt seem to get the point, only his forever hype peppy attitude thats starting to come off as fake after so long.

A solid 7. Not bad, nothing remarkable although the end to the Bentley film was fun. I think they got the episode bass-ackwards, they should have kicked off with the Porsche and ended with the Bentleys.

Also I test drove a Citroen ZX back in 1991 that has passive rear wheel steer like the Megane, and owned a Xsara VTS with the same system from 2000-2002.