[2x10] - February 9, 2018 - Oh, Canada

[2x10] - February 9, 2018 - Oh, Canada

• Total voters

Ripplin

Car(s)
2003 VW Golf TDI
Finally an episode from my homeland!...but nowhere near me. How did they not come to the sprawling metropolis of my one-horse town of 16,000 people instead?! :p

I did like the Tesla Model X review.

The SUV segment was slightly predictable (JC and JM did something similar on the old TGUK) but losing the keys to the beemer? Was that what people were talking about when they said they wanted unscripted?

I did like the return of the Ford F-150. It's the third time JC's driven a Ford pickup truck, I think, and the race bit came off pretty well.

More localized (?) jargon in this one, with James saying the first season of The Grand Tour rather than series. (like them saying gas instead of petrol or throttle) Think they've been coached to use more North American terms? Or is Richard finally getting to them?

I think Jeremy's SUV was the best looking overall. (the front of the Range Rover looks awful...ly drab, and the Porsche is a'ight, but I can see that stuff anywhere, whereas I may never see one of those Alfas for real) Too bad they couldn't have had a Urus.
I'm surprised Jeremy didn't punch someone over the BMW key incident. Heh.
The dogs were fun, though Richard, I've been living the entirety of my 40 years in Canada and I'm not sure I've ever seen a Newfoundlander.
Cowboy girls, haha!
Weird to see vehicles without front plates in Canada. Richard's looked like the only legal one in that sense, though why did he have an Ontario plate when they started in B.C., I wonder. (I think the Raptor did as well, so...)
Doug DeMuro (see below) also reviewed that Raptor and it has some really impressive features!
Had to laugh at some of Jeremy's boating adventures. :)

The non-ending of C.S. into the Tesla piece felt odd. They should've used one for the SUV segment! This segment was good (and that new R8 sounds and looks nice!), the lawyer part was funny and unique, but I think Doug DeMuro's reviews on YouTube, which I learned more from in some ways (didn't know about Summon mode or the ridiculous Celebration mode, though!), were just as fun and worth a look if you haven't.

Skipped C.F.O. again.

Overall, really enjoyed it. Gonna give this an 8. (8.5 in spirit)

Ripplin;n3545781 said:
Weird to see vehicles without front plates in Canada.

I did not pay attention to that, but we don't have a front plate in Québec.

Tonight, in this business-as-usual programme:
- Clarkson swaps an Alfa for a Ford truck;
- Clarkson talks approvingly about golf;
- and Clarkson reviews an electric car that doesn't end up juiceless, ridiculously slow or on fire.
And yes, I've just heard — it's snowing in hell!

RaphEmer;n3545800 said:
Ditto, legally, we only need plates on the back in Nova Scotia.
Must be nice! I knew about Quebec (can they still not turn right on a red?), but not Nova Scotia. If I ever go back to New Brunswick, I'll visit N.S. again and see for myself! Heh.

Wow, Paris Hilton didn't age well. That's one time I wish I wasn't watching this in 4k...

9/10, but really only for the SUV competition segment. While I'm not a fan of the engine choice for the new Raptor I will succumb to its awesomeness off-road. That thing can almost drive over anything and I secretly think Jeremy does like the Raptor.

Jeremy drooling over the Model X felt forced and fake. I bet Amazon, since they are a hippy tech company from the same part of the world as Tesla probably forced them to do a favorable review of it. And while I liked the idea of the lawyers something about that just felt out of place. It must be known that I hate electric only vehicles, what little noise they make sounds like fucking shit. I'd rather go slow and look/sound good than ride around in a plastic electric car that looks boring and bland that makes no (pleasant) noise. Even with that hot opinion aside, this segment still felt fake and out of place. Embracing something that will kill the whole petrol head culture is not a good move.

Conversation Street was ok, not the best this series but ok. I do really enjoy the opening videos of Conversation Street...they are almost always laugh out loud funny. :D

Celebrity Face Off was only mildly entertaining but I just couldn't be bothered. The last 4 or 5 series of the old TG UK I ended up fast forwarding the celebrity segment and I'm keen on starting to do that now for TGT.

*edit*
Oh, and kudos to Canada. You're country is fucking beautiful as fuck, shitty politics, but fucking awesome natural beauty. The US only has about 15% of it with beauty like that and most of that is in Alaska and the western part of the lower 48.

RdKetchup;n3545805 said:
Wow, Paris Hilton didn't age well. That's one time I wish I wasn't watching this in 4k...

^ This.

Last edited:
Ripplin;n3545804 said:
I knew about Quebec (can they still not turn right on a red?)

We can turn right on a red since the last... 15 years or so? Except in Montreal.

Decent episode. Points of note:
  • Alfa making an SUV without the possibility for a trailer hook. :rolleyes:
  • A Tesla X review without any mention of poor build quality. In fact, this was a non-review to me - but I feel that was exactly the point. Pointing out all the childish gimmicks instead, and it sort of worked.
  • I've never seen a video featuring Paris Hilton before, not to mention hearing her speak, so I was surprised that she appeared to have a brain. Wouldn't have thought, given her public image. But her tick to what, jiggle her breasts...? at every opportunity was irritating.
7/10 overall.

JCE;n3545806 said:
I bet Amazon, since they are a hippy tech company from the same part of the world as Tesla probably forced them to do a favorable review of it.
Amazon has no ties with Tesla. And Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, has a rocket company competing with SpaceX. So no, there is no reason why Amazon would force them to a favorable review. And Clarkson would never agree to that anyway. He has made his career by making his point on whatever he wants, either positively or negatively.

fisheye;n3545826 said:
Amazon has no ties with Tesla. And Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, has a rocket company competing with SpaceX. So no, there is no reason why Amazon would force them to a favorable review.

That is good to know thanks. I like Amazon even more. :D

Again a solid nine.

Tesla review was interesting but I just dont like E- Cars regardless.

The Tour had me laughing with a typical Clarkson, Hammond and May finish.

Conversation Street was again good and had me laughing at times.

Celebrity Face Off wasnt quite as good as in previous weeks but was still watchable and as mentioned Paris Hilton looks here age now.

All in all until now this Series is way better than the first one but that was to be expected.

Good episode. Conversation Street was the usual business, and so was Celebrity Face Off. I was quite happy that this time they talked a lot more about the cars they owned instead of other nonsense. Paris Hilton's LFA was sweet! Tesla review was fine although I'm still not a fan of that car. Its ugly, too big, too high and too expensive. The lawyer part was a mix of slight humor and a lot of cringe. Again, unnecessary. I would rather have the review end before that. I would also rather have a Range Rover instead. The cinematography was cool though.

The SUV challenge was something I've been looking forward to since I saw some leaked photos, and also because the SUV challenge from series 1 was one of my favourites of that series. Anyway, so the start of the challenge was good. Predictable lap time races on track (the shade on that M3 was delicious!!) and "off-road" and another predictable practicality test. Now, this is where I'll say they did not do it properly. I feel they deliberately chose those tests so the cars would fail, but in truth that's the wrong way of testing these cars. But like I said, maybe they did this deliberately to highlight the cons. Still, I wasn't very convinced by that.

The second part of the challenge was much better. I was a bit annoyed that Clarkson swapped his Stelvio for the Raptor (straight up cheating, as usual) but the film itself was enjoyable. There were even some tense moments, especially near the end of the race. Some of their antiques were hilarious! Me and my sister were literally laughing like idiots when Clarkson's boat fell off and rolled down the hill (reminded me of the mobility scooters episode from one of the last series of Top Gear, where Clarkson's 8 wheeler lost control and rolled down the hill) and when May's boat sunk and he fell into the water (tip off to Vietnam special). And another thing I really, genuinely enjoyed was watching those cars (and the truck) doing actual off-roading! (although I wonder how many people would do with the Raptor what Clarkson did in the film) Overall, a great, enjoyable film. 8/10.

Last edited:
RdKetchup;n3545805 said:
Wow, Paris Hilton didn't age well

My toughts too.

Solid 9 from me. This is the GT I like. Skipped celebrity part as always. Ditch that and the show is perfect

RdKetchup;n3545805 said:

Her new "bolt-ons" don't do her any favors either. I never found her particularly attractive though.

Enjoyed this one not that it was that great but again they were in recognizable territory just a few minutes down the road. They really should come back in the summer. Maybe build entries into the Knox hill climb (was second longest behind Pikes no idea where it ranks now lol). A bit north and west there are a bunch of non stop twisties. They could go try to capture Ogopogo (nessies's cousin)or just try to deliver wine from the local vintners to the thirsty hipsters lol. It's a four season playground for FL!

Can Paris actually be that self centered or brain dead? Not a bright bulb. If you notice every time the other guy says something she cuts him off and tries to either top him or be humorous. And at the end it looks like Jeremy gives up and moves on. She really hasn't aged that we'll, pretty sure her next sex tape wouldn't be that much of a hit lol.