Advice on intervalometer

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
We are doing an experiment where we need to monitor some butterflies and currently the setup is a 550D and a Hähnel Giga T Pro II.
Thing is: the Hähnel sucks. It requires unscrewing 3 screws to replace the battery and it's really battered and with bad contacts.
We need a picture every 5 minutes, for 12 hours.
I googled a bit and apparently the Phottix TR-90, the Viltrox MC-C1 and the Aream are the cheapest around but seem to work well enough for us.
Any other options in the price range (30ish€)?
Thanks in advance

Seems like it's too simple for Hähnel to just produce a wired timer remote now, never quite got why wireless was necessary. I would have suggested one of their devices 10 years ago, they definitely did a wired intervalometer.

I can't find anything about the Aream but the first two look like the same device and should do what you need, I don't know of anything better. Being wired they will also have a longer battery life. I wouldn't necessarily expect the remote contacts on the 550D to be in great condition as it's so old, but that's less likely to be an issue.

Oh yes, we're using the Hähnel wired, no need for wireless shenanigans.
For some reason I could only find wireless models, unless the controller can be used wired.
1701251228075.png

Thanks, that does basically look the same as the others. The screen is identical. They all offer the same basic features and are likely to be as good as one another, so I would suggest getting the cheapest or most convenient to buy.

Yes, it can be used wired.
This night I just lost a day's work because the 550D couldn't focus in the dark with the lens focus in "auto".
🤦‍♂️
We'll probably replace this setup with a Raspberry Pi.

Yes, it can be used wired.
This night I just lost a day's work because the 550D couldn't focus in the dark with the lens focus in "auto".
🤦‍♂️
We'll probably replace this setup with a Raspberry Pi.
I wasn't going to say it but that's a very old camera and it might be time to retire it if the photos are critical. At the very least switch everything to manual so it doesn't try to be clever.

The photo quality is not critical, we just need to know the time when certain things happened, so having this data is very much critical.
With that said, we have 3 or 4 DSLRs of this vintage, and I still would like one for me (I had a 500D) so maybe I'll offer to buy one (or convince them to donate it to me).
Also, it seems like I could assemble something that would fulfil ours needs spending around 120EUR, so for now it's the old 550D but probably a Raspberry Pi in the near future.

Okay, I was mistaken.
We don't have a 550D, but instead have a couple of 1000Ds and a 1100D, and the latter can be used with Magic Lantern, enabling an intervalometer.
Cost: 0$
Huge win.

I did look to see if the 550D had that option or could be connected up to a computer, I did that with my D7000 once or twice. Never heard of Magic Latern but I've never dealt with Canon.

Finding a simple, free solution is always satisfying!

Indeed!
It's a "hacked" firmware for Canon.
I knew about it from my days with the 500D, and it randomly popped in my head yesterday.
"Wait a minute, maybe the 1100D is one of the models that can have this unlocked." Turns out it is.