altoid's mom wants a new car

I know it's unlikely but are we getting the three cylinder Fiesta? That might be an option too.

The concern I would have about the 3cyl Fiesta is how it is on the highway. I know it will be turbocharged and have decent power and torque but the lack of cylinders may make it bad on the highway. Like Vipers signature says "There's no replacement for displacement". Given how high many 4cyl cars rev at at highway speeds, I can only imagine how high the 3cyl will rev.

Also consider that the smaller EcoBoosts are having unsolved problems with bursting into flames (1.6L so far) so you might want to stay away from the 3 cylinder EcoBoost until they figure out where the fire is coming from.

All this talk of small cars has me rethinking how this should be approached. I've specifically realized that I haven't talked with her about what it is that she actually wants out of her next car. I'd really like to rip her out of the Toyota-only mindset and have her test drive some cars (even if she chooses a Toyota in the end), but to do that I first need to actually figure out her requirements and preferences, instead of assuming things, as I've done so far. That should help narrow the focus (pun fully intended).

That said, you guys really like your Fords. :lol: I actually like all these new Fords as well, so I'll be sure to include them on the test-drive list.

Also, to clarify the manual question: it's not an option.

Re: altoid's mom wants a new car

All this talk of small cars has me rethinking how this should be approached. I've specifically realized that I haven't talked with her about what it is that she actually wants out of her next car. I'd really like to rip her out of the Toyota-only mindset and have her test drive some cars (even if she chooses a Toyota in the end), but to do that I first need to actually figure out her requirements and preferences, instead of assuming things, as I've done so far. That should help narrow the focus (pun fully intended).

That said, you guys really like your Fords. :lol: I actually like all these new Fords as well, so I'll be sure to include them on the test-drive list.

Also, to clarify the manual question: it's not an option.

Alright, that means that the EcoBoost Fiesta is off the table.

She likes Toyota + the Prius C is essentially a Yaris Hybrid underneith IIRC, so how about a Yaris 5 door?

My coworker has a 2010 fiesta, and its driver side window mechanism has been swapped out twice, also the horn started by itself (fixed by pushing the horn) :p
i did read that american vw tdi's had some (150 in 2011) fuel pump problems, but most (121) were caused by the owners refueling the car other than diesel or the "green diesel".
For Fords i would personally go for focus or mondeo, but those might be too big :p

I hate the seating position in the Fords. Otherwise, they seem nice, but I feel too upright like I'm sitting in a truck. Not a fan. And mind you, I sit all up on the wheel like a grandma short person.

Speaking of stupidly long warranties, Mitsu had the same 10-year/100K miles deal with my car, IIRC. The Lancer isn't as nice inside as a lot of the others that have been mentioned (people who care about interiors tend to poo-poo it, but I like that everything's easy to find and laid out in a fairly logical manner), but it's withheld a buttload of coco-abuse.

A butt. load.

Last edited:
First, the requirements:
  1. small-ish (smaller than her Camry)
  2. 4/5-door
  3. reliable
  4. frugal
  5. not a heap of junk
  6. no more than $35k
  7. not an EV reliant on frequent charging, as she can't do that at home or work

Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ. :p

What? 5.5/7 of the required conditions ain't bad :lol:

The present Hyundai Elantra has the best chance of removing her from the Toyota-only mentality if she tests one. Apart from the stereo controls I couldn't find anything else to actually dislike. It does everything a Corolla is supposed to do, only better in literally every way.

Alright, that means that the EcoBoost Fiesta is off the table.

She likes Toyota + the Prius C is essentially a Yaris Hybrid underneith IIRC, so how about a Yaris 5 door?
The Yaris has a powertrain that was brand new in 1999...its 13 years old and thus has the performance and fuel efficiency of a 13 year old subcompact. Its engine and tranny is so old that the bigger compact class has similar fuel economy numbers from bigger engines in heavier cars like the Civic and the Elantra. The price of the Yaris is also lousy because of the yen.

altoid's mom wants a new car

I hate the seating position in the Fords. Otherwise, they seem nice, but I feel too upright like I'm sitting in a truck. Not a fan. And mind you, I sit all up on the wheel like a grandma short person.

Speaking of stupidly long warranties, Mitsu had the same 10-year/100K miles deal with my car, IIRC. The Lancer isn't as nice inside as a lot of the others that have been mentioned (people who care about interiors tend to poo-poo it, but I like that everything's easy to find and laid out in a fairly logical manner), but it's withheld a buttload of coco-abuse.

A butt. load.

Mitsu is also the next most likely candidate for getting kicked off USDM island, though.

Also consider that the smaller EcoBoosts are having unsolved problems with bursting into flames (1.6L so far) so you might want to stay away from the 3 cylinder EcoBoost until they figure out where the fire is coming from.

It's the 1.6 only that caught fire, never heard of the 1.0l bursting into flames, plus the 3-cyl engine isn't that bad, it has an high gas-mileage and can be still quick, even in a Focus. I driven an 3-cyl Estate at the Essen-Motorshow this year, I am truely amazed of it.

It's the 1.6 only that caught fire, never heard of the 1.0l bursting into flames, plus the 3-cyl engine isn't that bad, it has an high gas-mileage and can be still quick, even in a Focus. I driven an 3-cyl Estate at the Essen-Motorshow this year, I am truely amazed of it.

The 1.0 isn't offered in the US yet. The smallest EcoBoost in the US is the 1.6.

It's supposed to be released in the 2014 Fiesta here... but given how the *last* EcoBoost from that design center has worked out, they may be rethinking that about now.

Last edited:
So much for the 10k trade-in :p

I still got it, but in cash form. Most of it I metaphorically set ablaze with the Miata adventure.

Hahaha, great thread unearthing from a shallow grave by construction workers.

I went through my thread history and holy wow. :D

Haha, I started reading the thread all willy-nilly and only realized halfway through this was in 2012 :D

"Altoid's gonna drive the Camry, huh, since he sold everything but the bikes"