Best Android apps

As a person grows up, taking care of your finances starts getting important. I think. Not sure yet. Anyway, this looks like a useful app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.halcyonmobile.dollarbird

I like Mint because it saved me the hassle of entering the transaction data, keeping receipts, etc.

I do get how the manual approach is appealing from a security standpoint though.

These days, while I still have mint on my phone, my credit union overhauled their Android app and it's amazingly good. I don't even bother with Mint anymore.

Just found about this app called musiXmatch

It has a nice and clean interface, few customisation options. The main feature on the app is that it has a community fueled lyric matching feature. I wasn't that interested in that but it works really well and might come in handy.

With the recent update Play Music has been annoying me with that "Downloaded only" bar on the top. I have limited bandwidth and I don't waste it on streaming songs so I have it set to Downloaded only. I don't need a whole bar reminding me that :glare: So I think I will try this out for a while.

Oh my god, the search for a decent music player is driving me NUTS. It's not like I have unreasonable requirements:

1. Correctly scan the media (google play music still shows the stuff long deleted, even after rebooting and SD rescanning...)
2. Show the album covers from the .jpg file inside the folder (google play music ignores it)
3. In the artists view DO NOT show track artists, only album artists, because compilation/remix albums become unusable (google play music is the only one that gets it right so far)
4. Although not essential, it would be nice to be able limit the search to a specific folder, so I don't have to put .nomedia into the every fucking other folder on the drive.
5. Must be FAR FAR simpler than the poweramp. I've tried to force myself to use it several times now, I just can't.

I only use local files, and don't want any managers on the desktop. I just want to throw correctly tagged mp3s with associated cover.jpg on the drive and be done with it.

Please.. someone help me before I tear my hair out.

Last edited:
Oh my god, the search for a decent music player is driving me NUTS. It's not like I have unreasonable requirements:

1. Correctly scan the media (google play music still shows the stuff long deleted, even after rebooting and SD rescanning...)
2. Show the album covers from the .jpg file inside the folder (google play music ignores it)
3. In the artists view DO NOT show track artists, only album artists, because compilation/remix albums become unusable (google play music is the only one that gets it right so far)
4. Although not essential, it would be nice to be able limit the search to a specific folder, so I don't have to put .nomedia into the every fucking other folder on the drive.
5. Must be FAR FAR simpler than the poweramp. I've tried to force myself to use it several times now, I just can't.

I only use local files, and don't want any managers on the desktop. I just want to throw correctly tagged mp3s with associated cover.jpg on the drive and be done with it.

Please.. someone help me before I tear my hair out.

i'll say the same thing as i've been saying to anyone regarding media players: get mediamonkey!

I use Shuttle player cause its simple and clean, and Shuttle+ has folder whitelisting and iirc will soon have album artist sorting

Features include:
- Folder browsing
- Folder whitelist
-
Upcoming features:

- Compilation album sorting (sort by album-artist)

New best app ever!

So far, I've been really envious of Canon DSLR users, because they could just connect their phones (even via WIFI) to the cameras and get a feed. But no more. Introducing DslrDashboard!

This app doesn't care what make your DSLR is, only that it supports PTP and that your device supports USB OTG. All the controls are transferred to the device, so none of the on-camera buttons work, but that's sort of the point.

It's still very much in development, but I was able to get my Nikon D7000 running on my HTC One M7 within seconds. I'm about to try it out on my old Acer Iconia tablet. It would be hilarious if I could repurpose my old 10" tablet as a field monitor, instead of spending several hundred euro on one.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, did I mention it's free?

New best app ever!

So far, I've been really envious of Canon DSLR users, because they could just connect their phones (even via WIFI) to the cameras and get a feed. But no more. Introducing DslrDashboard!

This app doesn't care what make your DSLR is, only that it supports PTP and that your device supports USB OTG. All the controls are transferred to the device, so none of the on-camera buttons work, but that's sort of the point.

It's still very much in development, but I was able to get my Nikon D7000 running on my HTC One M7 within seconds. I'm about to try it out on my old Acer Iconia tablet. It would be hilarious if I could repurpose my old 10" tablet as a field monitor, instead of spending several hundred euro on one.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, did I mention it's free?

Nice!
I've been following those apps since I had a Galaxy S (that couldn't run that app) and currently I have DSLR controller.
I'll give it a try and compare. Thanks!

Tested it last night. Works on my tablet. Can you say free 10" field monitor? :D

Threema is on sale today - 50% off because Swiss National Holiday or whatever. That means ?0.80.

Also available for iOS.

Remote Mouse is a good app for those playing media from their computer on a TV. It's very simple to use and works great, best of all it's free.

Of all the games ever, Hill Climb Racing has to be a 10/10 game for me, updated often enough for me to keep going back, plenty variety, and minimal with the ads and micropayments, its just fun

^i also keep playing that

hill climb racing and wordfeud remain on the phone, all the others are only temporary

You're the second person I know that suggests that game.
I should check it out.

It's damn short, though, for being so addictive. I finished it in two sittings. Hopefully it'll be updated with more levels.