Business desktop

LeVeL

Forum Addict
I'm currently running two monitors off of a laptop that has a Radeon R6 1.80 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 10. It struggles when I have a lot of files open and frequently hits 100% CPU usage. My boss has agreed to get me a desktop and is even willing to entertain the possibility of me building one myself.

So... I'll do some search and start posting ideas in this thread but figured I'd also ask if there are any recommendations. Keep in mind that I don't do anything graphics intensive but just want support for two monitors via HDMI, a lot of processing speed, and a lot of memory.

What kind of budget are you working with?

Check out the reviews on the new R5(the 1500 is a bargin powerhouse) and R7 AMD chips. Or go with the Intel i7 7700. A Nvidia 1060 should fill your graphics needs.

16 GB of ram should fill your needs, but that can be upgraded too.

Do keep in mind that the most GPU's around now have only 1 HDMI port, so you may need a DP/HDMI adapter for one of your screens. Having said that, most GPU's from ASUS and some from MSI come with 2x HDMI.

For Lower budgets, an R5 1500X/RX470 or 7600/1050Ti build will get you enough punch for what you need. There is a possibility that Ryzen prices may be inflated due to demand.

Last edited:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-desktops

Have work buy it for you, don't build yourself. - the last thing you want is your boss upset because your self built system is down and you have to go through a consumer oriented RMA process for a specific part.

These Optiplexes come with a 3 year warranty with on-site service. For a business machine, it's a no brainer.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-desktops

Have work buy it for you, don't build yourself. - the last thing you want is your boss upset because your self built system is down and you have to go through a consumer oriented RMA process for a specific part.

These Optiplexes come with a 3 year warranty with on-site service. For a business machine, it's a no brainer.

Seconded, I have one at work and it's quite nice, drives two FHD monitors from the built-in video no problem. Does require a discrete GPU to run 4K screens at 60hz though.