Can you say Alpine? Renault and Caterham to jointly make sports cars

It's ugly.

I'd take the 4C over this.

I prefer the 4C, but I find this very pretty as well and I am not sure they're really comparable.

I prefer the 4C, but I find this very pretty as well and I am not sure they're really comparable.
Both are mid engined, turbo four powered 2 seaters. I'd say that's in range. :)

Both are mid engined, turbo four powered 2 seaters. I'd say that's in range. :)

Yeah, when you put it this way... :lol:

They're both pretty, but the lack of manual gear boxes disturbs me. There is another attractive mid engine turbo 4 cylinder car that still offers a stick...

67975d1453851012-here-official-718-boxster-p16_0086-jpg

Last edited:
They're both pretty, but the lack of manual gear boxes disturbs me. There is another attractive mid engine turbo 4 cylinder car that still offers a stick...

You, Sir, make a very compelling argument.
I don't care if it's not a 6-cylinder anymore, and the appeal of a manual gearbox in a car like this is too much to ignore.
Well played.

How do they all compare price-wise?

You really want to piss off JC (not talking about Jeremy Clarkson or Jesus Christ here), don't you? :lol:

That is so good!!!

I still predict Le Fail. It's still asking people to part with champagne money for a lemonade brand.

Last time we had an Alpine for sale new in the UK it was better, faster and half the price of a Porsche 928. The motoring press raved about it and in 1993 how many did Renault sell in the UK? Four.

I still wanted one though. Still do.

Alpine_A610.jpeg

You really want to piss off JC (not talking about Jeremy Clarkson or Jesus Christ here), don't you? :lol:
Heh!

It's not my money going towards a 60K turbo four sports car. As much as I hate the downgrading of the BoxCay cars, it's hard to argue its merits vs the other two in this thread. It's going to be of the highest quality (new engine notwithstanding), and is arguably prettier than the 981 it replaces. The 4C isn't half as liveable and the Alpine is still a concept.

Where the 718 falls down (at least against the 4C) is noise. The Alfa sounds great (wait for it)... for a turbo four. The 718 doesn't good at all. The Alfa is also of course, mesmerizingly pretty.

EDIT: sorry. The 4C sounds good from the outside. From the inside it sounds like MegaMaid going from suck to blow.

Last edited:
Alpine reveals the first images of its new production car : the new A110

Ahead of the Geneva Motor show, Alpine reveals today the first images of the new two-seater sports car it will premiere at the Geneva Motor show.

Its name is A110, reflecting the timeless principles of compact size, light weight and agility that made the success of the ?Berlinette?.

The A110 features a full aluminium platform and upper body for optimum weight saving and agility. Key specifications of the A110 will be announced during Alpine?s press conference at the Geneva Motor show:

When: March 7th, 1.15pm

Where: Geneva International Motor show, hall 4

Who: Michael Van der Sande, Managing Director Alpine
David Twohig, Chief Engineer Alpine

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/2018-alpine-a110-revealed-porsche-cayman-rival-due-geneva
2018 Alpine A110 revealed - Porsche Cayman rival due at Geneva show

French two-seater retains shape of 2016 concept and its spiritual predecessor; will focus on driver engagement over outright pace

The hotly anticipated Alpine A110 sports car has been revealed in pictures ahead of its world debut at the Geneva motor show.

The two-seater model is a rival to the Porsche 718 Cayman and a spiritual successor to the original 1960s A110 model. It retains the look of the 2016 Vision concept it's based upon, with a pinched bonnet and twin front headlights clear nods to the classic model.

Alpine?s new car sits low on relatively small wheels, supporting suggestions that it will be significantly lighter than its rivals. Alpine confirmed that the car's structure and upper body is made from aluminium, and that the quilted leather seats weigh 13.1kg each (see gallery) - which is half the weight of those in the Renault M?gane RS?.

The A110 is therefore expected to have a kerbweight of just over 1000kg. The Porsche 718 Cayman weighs 1405kg.

The car will use a set-up focused on driver engagement over outright pace, with skinnier tyres than its rivals to ensure a good balance of grip and power. It is expected to use a 1.8-litre petrol engine with as much as 300bhp on offer, derived from the turbocharged 1.6-litre unit of the Renault Clio RS.

A 0-62mph time of around 4.5sec is likely, which would bring the A110 into line with even the ultra-focused Porsche Cayman GT4.

Much of the car?s development has focused on aerodynamics, with a flat floor and complex rear diffuser negating the need for a spoiler. This has also enabled designers to retain the clean shape of the original at the car?s rear.

Alpine will officially reveal the A110 in Geneva next week. The model is expected to go on sale next year priced from around ?57,000 (about ?48,500), which is close to ?10,000 more than the entry-level 718 Cayman.

alpine-teaser-embargo-10h00-280217-02_1.jpg

alpine-teaser-embargo-10h00-280217_0.jpg

Still purdy. Still going to be too expensive. :p

The model is expected to go on sale next year priced from around ?57,000 (about ?48,500)

Ouch! That's right in the ball park of the M2, TT RS, 4C and Cayman S. I am not sure I would take this over any of those.

Pricewise I had pictured it would be closer to a Peugeot RCZ than a Cayman S maybe just because it is French...

It looks like it's an old women with glasses far down on her nose.

Yep, still looks great :love: Based on the looks alone, I'd take it over the Cayman or even the 4C.

Can't wait to see the production interior, hope it doesn't let the impression down.