"Client Version is banned" error

bigfoot1942

i will start banning old clients from using the tracker anytime soon.

This is because they demand much more upload from the tracker than the new clients. (this is because the new clients support "compact tracker protocol", also called "UDP tracker client protocol" and the old clients dont.)

This way i can help seeding, and it allows me to configure the trackers in a way that would increase download speeds in general, and allows the tracker to handle more clients.

edit:
for short:
Code:
clients that are cosidered "old" are:
- ABC < v2.6.7
- Azureus < v2.0.8.2
- BitComet < v0.53
- BitTornado < v0.2.0
- Mainline < v3.4.1
- TorrentStorm < v1.2.2
- Ed2k Bittorrent Plugin < 0.0

update:
I implemented the ban rules, so if youre still able to connect youre fine ;)

Stickied.

and what are old ones?

i use bitcomet, is that an "old" one?

ABC is fine. He's talking about Mainline (the original client) and such I think.

bigfoot1942 - will they get an error message in their tracker status saying use a better client?

Viper007Bond said:
ABC is fine. He's talking about Mainline (the original client) and such I think.

bigfoot1942 - will they get an error message in their tracker status saying use a better client?
'
no im talking about all bittorrent clients, Azureus < v2.0.8.2 is also considered old.
about ABC i have no idea... but any client older than about half a year will almost definately be blocked.

about the error message: i have absolutely no idea. But we will find out soon enough ;)

Have you implemented it yet? I'm seeding w/ the latest version of ABC (2.6.9), it's werking well.

not yet, but i will in a couple of days.
just thought i'd inform you guys before i do it, so you can already update your clients.
and if you all updated, i wouldnt have to ban anyone ;)

Whats the best or most recommended bt client to use??

I use Bit Tornado 0.3.7
so does that mean i need to update...cause honestly, this is the best one for all my torrent needs...hasn't ever given me a problem and everything is configured for it already...

that should almost be an announcement, since most ppl wont visit this section before they get the problem..

Already posted one on the main site. ;)

Just to add about ABC (which i use myself). The latest version of ABC (2.6.9) says its based on Bit Tornado 0.2.0.

Now, wouldnt that make it an 'old' client? Even if the client itself is up to date, if that client its based off it old, its not likely to support these new features. And may explain why theres alot of old clients on the tracker maybe?

Tha_bounce said:
Whats the best or most recommended bt client to use??

Both the newest versions of Azureus and BitComet are good to go.
Azureus uses more system resources (up to 100MB) but is faster and very userfriendly imho. so i would recommend that if you have enough memory.
BitComet is way lighter and a little bit slower.