Covid 19 CRISIS

What are you on about again? US and SK have very similar numbers of cases and deaths per 1mil population.

Except, Korea entered the crisis one month ago while the US entered it less than one week ago, so South Korea has stable numbers, while the US numbers are still growing;
the curves couldn't be more different, because South Korea's curve is almost flat while the US' one is very, very steep, so numbers are bound to change FAST;
and, South Korea is known and taken as an example for the precision and amplitude of their testing measures, which means they have almost ALL of their cases as official numbers, while the US are scratching their heads and still trying to understand how many cases they actually have.

You can see that because while South Korea's deaths figure is roughly 130 people, the US' is something like 900, which is quite strange if you cling to your extremely incomoplete data of similar number of cases per million. That stark difference only should tell you something is not the same in the two datasets.

---

I noticed Narf said mostly what I said, so yeah. This is the situation.

BTW, given that quarantine programs start showing their effects after around 14 days, and given that only parts of the US are locked down as of now, the curve will stay steep and the cases will double every 2 to 4 days for the next 7-10 days AT LEAST. This means the US might climb up to 250.000-300.000 cases within the next 7 days.

Trump had a head start on the virus becaue he knew it was coming and he knew what happens if you act slowly. Yet he did nothing and he played it down. That behaviour is criminal.

Last edited:
VIP.JPG

I'm now a "critical worker", quite impressive given a fortnight ago I was an utterly disposable, unskilled factory pleb.

You can see that because while South Korea's deaths figure is roughly 130 people, the US' is something like 900, which is quite strange if you cling to your extremely incomoplete data of similar number of cases per million. That stark difference only should tell you something is not the same in the two datasets.

Time is another factor here. While new cases are low in South Korea, deaths are still climbing linearly at an unchanged rate for about a month... in other words, the overall death count is severely lagging behind the new cases count. Makes sense too, the outcome for critical cases can take weeks to materialize one way or the other. The US on the other hand has not yet seen that period of few new cases but still-materializing deaths, so the US death toll is going to keep growing exponentially as it has over the past weeks.

Another difference, active cases in South Korea are declining so fewer and fewer "potential deaths" are in the queue... active cases in the US? Exponential growth.

Screenshot_2020-03-25 Honduras ya contabiliza 52 casos de coronavirus; confirman 16 más - Diar...png

It's beginning to look like a bell :|

Last edited:
There were 13 deaths in 24 hours at elmhurst which is one of the main hospitals in Queens.

NY-Presbyterian started using single ventilators for multiple people at a time.

My neighboring county is now on lockdown, it's the hotspot for my state. All of Idaho is also locked down.

Capture.PNG

Every other nation went into lockdown with fewer deaths than the US. We still are not in lockdown and the growth curve is only getting steeper.

Colorado issued its stay at home order today to go in effect the next day. We drove aimlessly across empty boulevards for just one last look.

What are you on about again? US and SK have very similar numbers of cases and deaths per 1mil population.

Keep the anti-Trump BS in the politics section.
Dude you really need to wake up and smell the cat food. The way the numbers are growing the US is bang on track to be the worst hit industrialised nation on earth by miles precisely because of the lack of action by the current inept and arrogant administration. It's impossible to separate the politics because they are intrinsically linked.

All you seem to be concerned with is that your constant ass kissing of Trump is proving increasingly that you are as stubborn, myopic and blinkered as he is. If you back into that corner any harder they'll be measuring your backside with a tri square.

All you seem to be concerned with is that your constant ass kissing of Trump is proving increasingly that you are as stubborn, myopic and blinkered as he is.
I don't think I've said a single thing for or against Trump in this thread... and still the resident Trump-haters have come out swinging both at him and at me personally (you just did this). In reality it doesn't really matter what he does - our own media and politicians were calling him racist for imposing the China travel ban "prematurely" and then a week later they were complaining that he didn't impose it early enough. It's all stupid partisan bullshit and we can't get over it even when facing a global pandemic. I'm not in this thread to defend Trump and I wish no one was in here posting just to bash him - post about virus news, about new drug development, new policies, whatever, but the opinion posts just to kick Trump again are useless. I can't be the only one tired of this, am I?

Our own Govt here in the UK was woefully slow to react, and believe me you'd have to go a long way to find someone who despises the Tories and their motives more than me, but at least they aren't in denial about how stark the measures required to try and stop this having a massive and devastating impact on our society.

Yet even in the face of overwhelming evidence Trump is still downplaying the crisis and paving the way for a worst case scenario all the while undermining the regional legislature that is doing the best they can to protect their citizens.

If I were a US Citizen, regardless of my party politics, I'd be incandescent with rage right now.

And if I had a deity I would be praying for the safety of all my good friends across the Pond, real and virtual, that you all come through this unscathed and don't lose anyone you care about.

Well, I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the situation here in the US - things are bad, as they are elsewhere, but I think the response has generally been strong. I'm not going to argue about it though.

Good luck to us all, here's hoping none of us or our loved ones get sick.

Reactions: MWF
In reality it doesn't really matter what he does - our own media and politicians were calling him racist for imposing the China travel ban "prematurely" and then a week later they were complaining that he didn't impose it early enough. It's all stupid partisan bullshit and we can't get over it even when facing a global pandemic.

Yes, it does matter. A LOT.

The US Covid-19-related deaths are doubling every 2 days. This means that in 9 days you might have succeeded in surpassing Italy's sad record (including the next 9 days increase in the italian figures). The number of cases in the US are doubling every three days. This means that in 9 days you might have roughly half-a-million official cases.

Those numbers are not just worst case scenarios, they are LIKELY to happen, because whatever you do now will take effect in two weeks, whatever happens now is the result of what you did two to one weeks ago.

Trump is still in denial, is still trying to avoid lockdowns, is still playing everything down right now. He should have acted three weeks ago. He would have been late two weeks ago. He would have been badly late one week ago. Now, he is just criminal. You are lucky to have more sane Governors (those who do) than your Federal President.

Had he started acting as any real President should have done, in due time, this mess could have been averted. Had he acted two weeks ago, you'd probably already be at the top of the curve, and in 9 days you might only have 5000 deaths total instead of the probable 15.000. I repeat: this is not if things go extra bad, this is LIKELY, given that the US only started acting one week ago and is still not entirely closed.

It does not matter whether you have some serious politician there, or not. Trump's responsibility is his own.

Here, the Government shut down the country even if the opposition parties were complaining. He did the right call (and he could have done better still, had he acted earlier than that). I get shivers if I think about where we could be now had he not shut the country down.

And it's not like it was unforesseeable: I could foresee that, so every serious Government could too.

Meanwhile, NY Presbyterian is having to put two people to a respirator.
Elmhurst is completely overrun and they are asking for volunteers from other hospitals that are not as busy.
The hospital ship is still weeks out and is barely going to help at this point.
Hospitals are still short on PPE, N95 respirators are currently only being used by people performing high risk procedures like intubations while the rest have to deal with masks.

Some good news is that now the cases in NYC seem to double every 4 days instead of every 2 days.
I personally know someone who was diagnosed with COVID and recovered and someone else who wasn't tested but had it with about 99% certainty and is better after couple of days.

I also suspect my youngest and my wife both had COVID last week and while the kiddo had a high fever, wife barely noticed it. If that were indeed the case if both my oldest and myself show no symptoms by tomorrow we can say with some degree of certainty that we are immune.

@LeVeL IMO criticizing gov't response to the crisis is very much part of the topic, I don't believe that criticism is necessarily political in the same sense as talking about different policies during normal times. These are the kind of times where our dependence on the federal government is extremely high, while state governors have been doing a lot there are many things they simply do not have the power to do.

Last edited:
Had to make a site visit for a commercial laundromat. While I felt ridiculous, I wore a face mask and gloves. Once finished, gloves were removed before I touched my car and my work laptop bag and tools are now in the car for a few days to stay untouched. Hopefully we're good. Before going to the job, I picked up a box of gloves from work which is the complete opposite direction... They were bought years ago so don't think I got some extra during all this.

Also, update on the doctor I called last week, never got a call back. My allergies have also cleared up so I guess we're good?

3 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital

Hospitals in the city are facing the kind of harrowing increases in cases that overwhelmed health care systems in China and Italy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-hospitals.html

Here’s Why Florida Got All the Emergency Medical Supplies It Requested While Other States Did Not

The Department of Health and Human Services has come under fire as several states’ requests for supplies from the emergency medical stockpile go unfulfilled. A chaotic distribution plan is buckling under a big problem: Nobody has enough.
https://www.propublica.org/article/...plies-it-requested-while-other-states-did-not