Ownership Verified: CraigB's Datus... Nissa... Infiniti M30

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
I know I have a reputation for Mustangs around here, and I guess it may deserved, but how many have I had that have actually run? :lol:

For the last few years I have been drooling over the low mileage 25 year imports that keep popping up on Craigslist or Facebook. The problem with them is always price. I can't/don't want to drop $9k+ on a car that I will drive occasionally. When I saw that a friend of mine (who is a small car dealer, more on that in a second) had this 1991 Infiniti M30 up for sale I contacted him and wanted to see if he was still interested in my Merkur. He didn't even hesitate. Only problem was I was in the middle of a busy week and couldn't get down to his lot until the following week.

When I arrived at his lot there was barely a spot to park the truck and trailer. As with most small lots, there was lots of not so great looking vehicles sitting about. The Infiniti was one of them. Admittedly the Merkur wasn't in tip top shape, so I went ahead and took the Infiniti out for a test drive. Except... the battery was dead. After a jump (and me tightening up the battery terminal), the Infiniti fired right up. Right away I noticed a small "blow" in the exhaust. No problem, I can fix that. When I sat in the driver's seat I noticed the seat belt wouldn't go into the latch on the non-original seats. No problem, I can fix that. The A/C control doesn't come on. No problem, I can fix that. The radio doesn't come on either. No problem, I can fix that. Tires have plenty of tread, but are from 2011. No problem, I can fix that. The back seat, which is still leather is in really bad shape. No problem, I can fix that. So far, it's feeling like this isn't such a great deal.

On the road it drove fine, the exhaust has an interesting sound with leak. Wherever it is. I can feel that the struts are done for after 93k miles and nearly 28 years. No problem, I can fix that. I return to his lot and I am just not 100% convinced I want to trade. He's dealing with a body shop guy when I return on a Volvo wagon that's almost as nice as the day it rolled off the dealer lot 30 years ago, except for about a dozen hail dents. Said he has a guy that will pay asking price ($6,500) if those are fixed.

As I am waiting I keep mulling it over and I finally decide I want this car, despite all of it's foibles.

So I unloaded the Merkur, he parked it in the only open spot, I loaded the Infiniti and drug it through the pouring rain the 95 miles home.

Since it was raining, I didn't even unload it when I got home.

20180905_163423_HDR_resized.jpg

The next day I unload it and realize it's not all bad. Sure the front fenders and bumper are a few shades different, but... No problem, I can fix that.

Yesterday, I spent a good 8 hours, scraping old bubbled purple tint off the back glass and quarter windows. As well as cleaning the exterior the best I could. Which involved clay bar, rubbing compound and wax. While it looks much better, it's still 28 year old paint (except those fenders and bumper).

20180907_164002_resized.jpg
20180907_213230_resized.jpg

So today I took it out to the track to get some photos of it cleaned up.

20180908_131254_resized.jpg
20180908_131406_resized.jpg

Best feature? Frame less windows!

20180908_132246_resized.jpg

Obligatory proof photo.

20180908_134239_HDR_resized.jpg

And lastly, a shitty burnout video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7u4HKqEZCE

Attachments

• 20180908_131240_resized.jpg
    20180908_131240_resized.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20180908_131228_resized.jpg
    20180908_131228_resized.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20180908_131310_resized.jpg
    20180908_131310_resized.jpg
    973.1 KB · Views: 135
That's...different.

Yes.

I love it and think you should keep the wheels--a car like that deserves a little interior restoration. Only other mods I would make would maybe be a manual transmission swap (from any of the Z31 2+2s laying around), a turbo, 240SX suspension bits, and an LSD... :D

Common wisdom is to get one of the Tokico upgrade shock sets for that thing and skip anything else unless you want to get coil-overs, FYI.

Der Stig I agree about everything, except the wheels. They are just too ugly.

Spectre;n3553310 said:
Common wisdom is to get one of the Tokico upgrade shock sets for that thing and skip anything else unless you want to get coil-overs, FYI.

Coilovers would be nice, but anything would be better than the worn out stuff that on it.

Different than what you usually buy, and that's a good thing!
Also, RWD and V6, so it has some good to it, I guess?

Far classier than the Sierra. Get some Maxima leather seats and JDM barrel style wheels for it.

Redliner;n3553317 said:
Different than what you usually buy, and that's a good thing!
Also, RWD and V6, so it has some good to it, I guess?

I really am a ricer at heart. My first cars and trucks were all Japanese. I got into Mustangs because I thought they would be cheaper, but now I realize, ain't none of it cheap.

The V6 isn't my favorite engine configuration as we've talked about before, but now I have two. If I had my druthers, I would stuff an RB with a snail in it. But that's either a long way off or will never happen.

public;n3553328 said:
Far classier than the Sierra. Get some Maxima leather seats and JDM barrel style wheels for it.

I found a pair of 350Z tan leather seats, but at $400 and 140k miles of wear, I'll pass.

​​​​​​​Wheels are in their way. They will have lip and I hope I got the fitment correct.

CraigB;n3553337 said:
I really am a ricer at heart. My first cars and trucks were all Japanese. I got into Mustangs because I thought they would be cheaper, but now I realize, ain't none of it cheap.

The V6 isn't my favorite engine configuration as we've talked about before, but now I have two. If I had my druthers, I would stuff an RB with a snail in it. But that's either a long way off or will never happen.

Turbo RB and a manual would be awesome :lol:

You only need one kidney, right? :p

Very nice car!

I just got one too! It's a bit small, but appears to be exactly the same! :p

bDsJbcq.jpg

06oabXU.jpg