Unverified Ownership Ecksy the Yamaha XSR700

altoid

I donated for the custom title. Suck it.
Car(s)
‘14 Mazderp3, ‘22 Checkpoint SL 5
Well, this happened.

It's a brand new 2018 Yamaha XSR700, one of the last available, as 2019s are about to start rolling into dealerships.

0 miles on the odometer. No farts into the seat besides my own.

First, some nearish-term plans;
• frame sliders + axle sliders + engine covers
• tank grips
• fender eliminator
• new turn signals
• some sort of something to tie stuff down in the passenger seat

And now the obligatory Yammertime pictures!

At the stealership:
YGgbos8.jpg

Parked post-purchase while I take care of the busy day:
Cl0nXFt.jpg

uSlkise.jpg

Finally got to ride it hours later:
Xj9LaxY.jpg

First ride, first break:
raOPoUw.jpg

Family portrait:
2tuq3Lq.jpg

kH7NJAV.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh nice!! Naked bikes FTW!

Very nice! Hope you have many trouble free miles and modding ahead :)

Looks great, happy driving!

Adjusted rear shock preload and installed these just this morning:

FDRs2mw.jpg

Test ride is the commute to work soon.

Ohai. Been a while.

First, some words!

The rear shock preload adjustment was a great idea. I cranked it up all the way to 10 (no, not 11) and it feels much better. I didn't notice any decrease in comfort, but the bike feels far more stable.

The tank grips make a huge difference. I really felt like I was about to slide right off at every take-off, and I no longer do. Riding in general is easier with the extra grip, obviously.

I installed the protection kit and it was immediately useful, as I dropped the bike at 0mph during Ride to Live the very next day. Minor scuffs on the exhaust and brake lever, and a barely noticeable scrape on the frame slider, so all good. Fantastic class, by the way.

I did a 400-mile day soon after getting the bike, and it was fine. Sure I was tired and sore, but mostly from the wind on the freeway. Such is naked bike life. Ideally I'd love to get a giant touring windscreen that isn't too difficult to install and remove, so I can use it only for longer trips, but I'm not touring enough to warrant solving that problem just yet.

A real luggage solution is still TBD as well, though I did get some ROK straps, so my (rather small) passenger seat is now a tiny bit less useless. It's a reasonable solution in a pinch, as you can see in the pictures below. Currently leaning toward this SW-Motech SysBag 15/15 setup and their Rearbag for more frequent use. This also isn't critical, and is certainly pricey, so I'm not in a huge rush.

Stepping back away from farkles, I've really just been riding a lot. I'm up to nearly 1,400 miles in two months and change, which isn't bad given my short 8-mile roundtrip commute. I now default to the bike just about wherever I'm going, and it's awesome. I've said before that motorcycling really unlocks LA, and I'm now even more convinced of it. I'm happy to take on a cross-town 15-mile trip at rush hour. Yes, it's still slower than at 3am, but a far cry from the hour+ it would surely take in a car. I have a hard time imagining myself really loving this city as much as I do if I didn't ride.

I'm hoping to do some more longer rides later this year. I'll tentatively be going to a conference in SF in August, which might be a good candidate for a bike trip. I might ride up in a day (400 miles or so), enjoy the weekend conference, and then take a multi-day stroll back down the coast. The XSR may not be ideal for super long tours, but for a short trip like this it should be just fine.

At some point I'll write up more of a review (like this), but now let's enjoy some pictures!

The T-Rex protection kit looks awesome, honestly:
hqcnkMf.jpg

oofSbNp.jpg

P3hbf8l.jpg

And I had to get a bit creative while installing it:
OfXe6Av.jpg

(The lean prevents oil leaks while unbolting things.)

Found a matching big boi (XSR900) at the office:
GMbNnvT.jpg

And not a matching big boi, but looks great in the bright-as-fuck red:
KxLH1Hv.jpg

Those ROK straps? Brilliant:
yLWMScJ.jpg

No, seriously, they're kind of amazing:
nFprCLw.jpg

Though I spent way too much time figuring out how to secure them when not in use, so nothing would flop around at speed:
sBt9Kec.jpg

More motorcycle logistics (which is an actual subreddit):
0f6G2g3.jpg

Aforementioned 400-mile day with frenz (Yamaha FZ-09 (aka MT-09), Honda NC700X, my XSR, Yamaha R6):
CglEwR3.jpg

QzT6QzV.jpg

T2EtXi6.jpg

Old vs new light bulb comparisons (order: OG low, OG high, new low, new high):
ZJfaAaG.jpg

zakdTZl.jpg

24OE9ht.jpg

sDtCEUy.jpg

Nighttime beach parking, a frequent thing for me:
ehZTzMv.jpg

qOSzodK.jpg

Speaking of parking, the perks are fucking real:
KLqGtFO.jpg

Last shot with the predecessor:
jSCFiiz.jpg

Last edited:
Some orders were placed last night. My bank account weeps. I'm teetering on the edge of buyer's remorse. Chaos is imminent.

Maybe it's stickers, maybe turbos. You'll know more as things unfold.

Sweet tail bag for daily use:
8kvRR5f.jpg

Underseat helmet hook:
mjJWQrT.jpg

But most importantly, new fleshlight:
dA8nXoc.jpg

17C3k0E.jpg

As per this post, I'll likely be shipping out the ECU for tuning and installing the exhaust, fender eliminator, and turn signals the week of June 10th.

In the meantime, enjoy this view:
hfXGywr.jpg

Updates? Updates.

First I shipped the ECU out for tuning. While it was out, I did some of the most important crap. Still outstanding are the throttle tube, fender eliminator, and turn signals.

I started by actually cleaning the bike (and finally cleaning and lubing the chain):
KnL66ky.jpg

Then I installed the fairing and windscreen. Here's a really crappy picture:
5qfEPzE.jpg

And then suddenly:
LZCowKm.jpg

Anyone need a heavy murder weapon? Free to a good home:
hEyqNkQ.jpg

Oh baby:
fKKDI0T.jpg

The ECU arrived last night, so I finally got to hear it. Obligatory crappy video with sound:

It's good to be back. More of a real update soon.