Ownership Verified: Going Mainstream (2016 Miata)

Rechtsschutzversicherungen 👌
Those are only ever useful if there’s an actual legal case to be made. But in this particular case there was just zero proof to be had. Cosmetic damage that could just as well have been there before 🤷‍♂️

So the dealership took the case to their (?) tyre warranty insurance and informed me that I will get partly reimbursed (roughly the price of the tyre itself, iirc).

They did this without me even asking if this was possible. (y)
I just assumed that since the flat was clearly my fault because I parked on shards, a warranty (that I didn't even know I had) would not pay.

Yeah, wow. Thats really nice of them to even try. I too would assume getting flat is just something happens and part of owning a car.

Some tire manufacturers offer a warranty when you buy a new set - my Goodyears on the new 3 came with such a warranty for a year, and it extends for a second year if/when you use the same shop to have them rotated within the first year. It would cover such a situation. However, I had to actively register and submit my proof of purchase to get this. That a tire shop does something like this of their own accord and reimburses you is new to me, and quite neat - would probably get me to become a return customer :)

Another year, another Ringmeet. This time, @leviathan had a new toy: a 360° camera. So we tried it out on a lap of the Nürburgring.

Posted with permission as we are both featured:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vamhwuu-x4
On a desktop browser, you can use the WASD keys to change perspective. On the smartphone app, you can do the same by turning the phone (or turning yourself with the phone).

I had some errants to run and extended the drive just a bit for an evening round around town. And I found myself on a stretch of motorway - strange how that happens...

Anyway, I checked out what my car can do, and apparently I've not let the engine clog up completely:

20231202_224927.jpg

10 kph faster (GPS measured) than the papers say. (And on winter tyres rated for 210 :D ) Not bad. :)

Noice.
Also, I love the speedo /tacho layout. All you need in one screen.
I suppose you can change the center one to different things like GPS, consumption, etc?
Why every carmaker insists on putting a compass there is beyond me.

@NooDle - That is a third-party app that I was able to install on my infotainment. It does not offer any configuration, and is not exactly industry-grade quality (or, considering the abysmal software the industry puts into cars, maybe it is). For one thing, it needs far too much computing power and thus slows down the system considerably.
The infotainment system is Linux based and used to have an open door so one could do such things. It has since been closed, sadly.

It's written in JavaScript as far as I know.

And since it does some statistics for the current drive, I assume it constantly polls for GPS and engine data and collects them, even when only running in the background.

lolwut?
Even with everyone having Apple carplay/Google maps that tells you (and shows you) everything, people still use 'northbound on i80' or some shit?
For hardcore offroadists, I may understand you need some sense of direction, but then again I wouldn't count an MX5 as an offroad vehicle (cue someone showing pictures of how his MX5 with massively raised suspension and super knobbly tires can out offroad a Land Rover)

I'm always amused when the satnav begins its voice instructions with "Go west" etc. Buddy, I wouldn't use satnav if I knew where west was

TBH I could understand that instruction if I'm still parked on a road and just setting off and the thing doesn't quite know which direction I'm facing (yes, this is a software shortcoming, it could just save the direction from before parking, but I digress)... on the other hand, in many cases I wouldn't be able or allowed to turn around straight across the road anyway. Oh well...

also: most of the time I do actually know which direction I'm going and where west-ishhhhhh would be, but I still consider it a dumb or entirely needless direction/info (e.g. turn right onto X heading west - just leave the west-part out entirely?).

also also: I'm not affected anyway, because first things first, I always turn all navigation prompts off / silent. Even with the tomtom character voices, I wouldn't want my satnav talking at me.

I'm always amused when the satnav begins its voice instructions with "Go west" etc. Buddy, I wouldn't use satnav if I knew where west was
This sounds to me like a Hollywood/TV trope.
"Suspect is inbound Northwest!"

lolwut?
Even with everyone having Apple carplay/Google maps that tells you (and shows you) everything, people still use 'northbound on i80' or some shit?
For hardcore offroadists, I may understand you need some sense of direction, but then again I wouldn't count an MX5 as an offroad vehicle (cue someone showing pictures of how his MX5 with massively raised suspension and super knobbly tires can out offroad a Land Rover)
Take a spaghetti highway junction, the different arms will be labeled that way, yes.