High Definition Playback Guide

If the Xbox actually needs the rename to .mp4 then it's quite silly. A program stream is MPEG 2, hence should never be required to have the extension .mp4... but hey, if it works - go Microsoft :mouse:

Does it do that automatically or is there some setting I'm not seeing? Also, are nVidia cards compatible with DXVA?

MPC-HC: DVXA Support.

DXVA = DirectX Video Acceleration, or basically the video card is decoding the video stream taking the load off the normal general processor.

There are settings that must be adhered too in order to get DVXA working with your video stream. They state you need an nVidia card greater then an 8XXX series for H.264 decoding. On the ATI side, you need a Radeon HD series for H.264 & VC-1 decoding.

DXVA will then only enable in the render modes listed, and you must not have DirectVobSub or ffdshow between the decoder and the video renderer.

• Windows XP users, select Overlay Mixer, VMR7, VMR9 or VMR9 renderless
  • Vista users, select EVR or EVR custom renderer

Beyond that, internal subtitles do work, but even more restrictions apply.

• Windows XP users, select VMR9 renderless
  • Vista users, select EVR custom renderer
  • In "Options / Playback", tick the checkbox "Auto-load subtitles"

Last edited:
That seems ok, but no info is provided if that is on the HDMI or VGA input of your TV- it might support those resolutions only on HDMI

this is VGA input - HDMI has totally different resolutions, but my laptop doesn't have HDMI.
but it seems to be working quite nicely on VGA - am on holiday so can't quite remember what resolutions i can get displayed, but it does looks good, so i'm happy...

Well, I've found the answer to my sistuation if anyone else likes to stream the 1080i version to their xbox using media center. All you have to do is convert the full video file with VLC and change the "container" to "MPEG-PS". Make sure to check the boxes for keeping the original video and audio tracks. Rename the outputed file to a .mp4 file and that's it!

Basically what you are doing is remuxing the file instead of transcoding it which will not loose any video quality.

:D

Been trying to download VLC all night keeps telling me certain files are corupt. I thought it was susspose to be easy to watch it on an XBOX 360 help please. I'm using vista BTW

Also its the 1080i rip i tried changing it to .avi then it told me on the 360 that i didn't have the right codec. so i re downloaded it and renamed it .mpg and now the 360 wont even admit it's there. I'm doing it wrong but what is wrong

Renaming does not change the contents of a file.

If VLC downloads fail for you all the time make sure you're downloading off videolan.org - over 100 million downloads worked well off there.

No widescreen

No widescreen

Hello,

I can play the .mkv files from Top Gear, but it's not in widescreen. The Full HD version of the polar special is in widescreen though.
What can I do to watch the episodes in widescreen?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The BBC broadcasts at 1440x1080 using non-square pixels. Depending on your media player somewhere you will find an option like "stretch to 16:9" or "change aspect ratio". Stretching to 16:9 is exactly what your plasma TV would do if you watched it live in the UK.

Smart players should play it at 16:9. Use a better one. :)

The BBC broadcasts at 1440x1080 using non-square pixels. Depending on your media player somewhere you will find an option like "stretch to 16:9" or "change aspect ratio". Stretching to 16:9 is exactly what your plasma TV would do if you watched it live in the UK.

What player should I use? I now use Windows Media Player.

And I know the pixels are not square, but even my lcd television (just bought it yesterday) shows the mkv file in 4:3.

Try using VLC. This should help. It's not the best choice for every given situation, but it works.

Ok this is going to be kinda long but ok. I have a panisonic blu ray player and a 360(tht i get movies on through file sharing in WM11 and selecting my computer in video libray on the 360). what would be the best way to run the MKV file on my 360 or some way on my blu ray player someone please help unless i get a standard rip of TG i wont be able to watch it on my 32" flat panel like usual

Also i don't understamd VLC to save my life either

is there a way to convert the .mkv into a a DIVX .avi file? My DVD player will play burned CD's that have files in DIVX format in an .avi. I've google searched but not found a .mkv -> .avi converter other then virtualdubmod which crashes when reading .mkv files on my computer.

So far, I'm still having an issue with episode 3 from season 14 in the TS-1080i resolution. I've tried K-Lite's Codec pack, Shark007's Codec pack, and even the CCCP listed in the first post. All still have the same problem when reaching roughly 28minutes into the film. Jeremy makes a comment about Meryl Streep acting in Mama Mia, then as Richard takes the right hand turn, the film completely stops. If I skip past that section, I have no issues playing the rest of the film, although I still get minor graphical glitches here and there. What could be causing this "crash"?

So far, I'm still having an issue with episode 3 from season 14 in the TS-1080i resolution. I've tried K-Lite's Codec pack, Shark007's Codec pack, and even the CCCP listed in the first post. All still have the same problem when reaching roughly 28minutes into the film. Jeremy makes a comment about Meryl Streep acting in Mama Mia, then as Richard takes the right hand turn, the film completely stops. If I skip past that section, I have no issues playing the rest of the film, although I still get minor graphical glitches here and there. What could be causing this "crash"?

Toyo, you may have to re-download the file. I had to do it for episode two as my previous one was corrupt and I was unable to convert it. Try that!

Also its the 1080i rip i tried changing it to .avi then it told me on the 360 that i didn't have the right codec. so i re downloaded it and renamed it .mpg and now the 360 wont even admit it's there. I'm doing it wrong but what is wrong

Killer, Look at my posts above. download the latest version of VLC and convert the container to MPEG-PS. Keep the original video and audio streams. Make the output filename .mp4 so that Media Center will recognize the file as a playable one. You will only be able to play these through media center and not windows media connect (windows media connect or WMP), so if you haven't got a media center set up, get it done.

Ok so the guide to show you how to optimize the windows classic player is horrible, that guy wrote more about the history of the pixel than the actual frikin steps on optimization.

I downloaded the Codec pack, and I have windows calssic.

But when I went to the Internal Filters section, which Source and Tranform filters do I click to turn on? I was confused, so I turned them ALL on, and then when I would play the video all I get is sound and no picture. So I turned them all off. Now I get both sound and picture, but the picture is really slow and doesnt sync up with the audio.

So what the helll do I do now?

I am trying to watch the 720p verison, to get a bit faster playback instead of the massive 1080 file.

I have an older PC, but I have a GeForce 7600 GT videocard.

I would like to AT LEAST watch the 720p Top Gear vids.

Help?