Someone Else's Problem: I just can't quit them: 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder, heavily modified.

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
After selling my 2ZZ Mk1, I still kept an eye on Spyderchat and other boards for 2ZZ Spyders in good condition. This one came up in Richmond VA with all the right parts (6-speed transmission with LSD, baffled oil pan, whole bunch of chassis bracing) and a few others that are beyond what I would've liked but not bad to have (lithium-ion battery, 6-puck clutch, Fortune Auto coilovers). At this point, I'm planning on a few livability mods to return the car closer to stock, like swapping out the coilovers for less extreme lowering springs and OEM-stiffness struts; the exhaust is also somewhat hacked together so it needs modifying too. More pics to come, though it could be a while as it's going into storage soon before the worst of the winter hits.
1577929339710.png

1577929351532.png

(I think that was a real Type R; at the very least it had the correct five-lug wheels.)

I see you are once again in the correct path.

Don't see many of these anymore. Without a doubt a fun car.

Good that you got one back! I still remember the day you lended the old one to me fondly.

Good choice of personal transportation. I approve.

Nice! Do you remember when we went driving around for a day several years ago? You were in the 9000 showing off effortless straight-line speed, and I was in the Miata flying through turns but struggling on high-speed uphill sections? The roles have been reversed, it seems...

Wow, yeah that was ever so long ago.

Been returning the suspension to stock; these coilovers were seriously slammed.
1578790998055.png

Now to detach the rear coilovers from the stock sway bar links; the idiotic allen key/wrench attachment makes it nearly impossible to remove.

It was unseasonably warm today, so I took the newly aligned MR2 out for a spin along with my fluffy copilot. Wow the roads around here are crap even with stock suspension rather than the coilovers.
1580088250436.png

1580088257034.png

It was unseasonably warm today, so I took the newly aligned MR2 out for a spin along with my fluffy copilot. Wow the roads around here are crap even with stock suspension rather than the coilovers.
View attachment 3556874

Neat, looks like you're all set for the FG Offroad Jamboree! ;)

For real though, stock suspension will probably be a lot better for the longevity of your back and associated bits.

Yeah, on coilovers that wheelgap was almost completely gone, but so was any compliance over the roads.

It's awake, on summers, and it's still fun to rev the piss out of it. Yes I realize with the license plate like that it looks like it's sticking its tongue out. Transmission is a bit balky when I'm pushing it, not always letting me downshift into 2nd even after rev-matching, and it might be due for a fluid change.
Side.jpg
Front three quarters.jpg