Jalopnik: Does Tire Rotation Include Tightening Wheel Nuts?

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
https://jalopnik.com/does-tire-rotation-include-tightening-lug-nuts-michiga-1839270921

In what will surely go down in history as one of the most Galaxy Brain court rulings of all time, a Michigan appeals court determined that a tire rotation does not, in fact, include tightening the lug nuts. It is a ruling that not only defies common sense but has potentially broad ramifications for Michigan car owners who may find it much harder to sue mechanics for doing unspeakably dumb things, such as not making sure the damn tires stay on the car.

This is something that makes absolutely no sense because to me, ensuring the lug nuts or wheel bolts you just removed, should be reinstalled to factory spec. Why are mechanics no longer held liable for half the job? I can only see this as mechanics whether dealer or independent finding a way to weasel out of legal battles and responsibility? I find this insane and a key point that nobody gives 2 shits about safety and whether a job is performed completely. Maybe my angry personality of "get shit done now and do it in a correct and safe matter" is getting the best of me but this whole situation is baffling to me. Maybe @CrzRsn can shed some light on this as a Michigander. Perhaps this is another "Jalopnik has lost it" stories.

File this under “It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is" I guess?