James May's Cars of the People

geeman

suomiface
Car(s)
Toyota Corolla,Chevrolet Corvette,Alfa Romeo Mito
Last edited by a moderator:
James May's Cars of the People aka Something That Looks Like Proper Top Gear :lol:

Have already seen Episode 1. It was aired by mistake on Danish television back in May. Its actually a great episode if your a history buff like:)

I Highly recommend it...

It just aired on BBC2 and was very good, as are most of James May's documentaries.

Well worth a watch.

:smile:

I liked it. You can tell it's a subject that he was really into. The end bit with the Lada dragged on a bit longer than I would have liked, but overall, a solid 4.5 out of 5 from me.

Even those uninformed about the last 70 years of European history, but keen on cars, would have learnt a lot from this episode without falling asleep. High School history wasn't my thing, so James filled in a lot of gaps and added his usual subtle humour ... and a little bit of TG nonsense.

Had to giggle at his colleagues tweeting their pre-show 'Must Watch!' alerts from Italy - they never did manage to tell readers the broadcast time thanks to clever use of Twitter's character limit :)

pretty bitchin' music selection throughout as well... have heard some Tool and System of a Down
black_metal_head_icon_custom_stationery-rdc15efc006ed4ca0954a377ff9477a15_vg6ke_8byvr_50.jpg

pretty bitchin' music selection throughout as well... have heard some Tool and System of a Down
black_metal_head_icon_custom_stationery-rdc15efc006ed4ca0954a377ff9477a15_vg6ke_8byvr_50.jpg
And some Kraftwerk and Mike Oldfield for us 'oldies'.:wheelchair:

He missed a golden opportunity for a great gag in the bit about the Beetle with the photo of Ferdinand Porsche next to the Fuehrer.

"He's the one with the moustache" should have been followed by a brief pause then "No, the other one."

Last edited:
I liked it. You can tell it's a subject that he was really into. The end bit with the Lada dragged on a bit longer than I would have liked, but overall, a solid 4.5 out of 5 from me.
A bit like the car. ...

Those wallies moaning about 'all the left bashing', well if they were not so blinkered and fixed in their beleifs and engaged in sensible rational discourse perhaps they would not be so easy to bash.

Bashing the Soviet Union (is that what they meant by left bashing?) was easy, they came from an evil man (Starlin) and what about all the right bashing, (They also came from an evil man too - Hitler et al)?

Back to the subject. ... Yes I enjoyed it too - TiVo box all set for the next couple of shows. ...

Last edited:
During the Beetle portion of the program James May spends a bit of time pointing to the hippies as his main reason for disliking the car aside from Hitler obviously. Nudism and flower power and such, I didn't find it very offensive but for a man who looks like an ageing hippy himself he did come across like an angry middle aged man from the 50s.

During the Beetle portion of the program James May spends a bit of time pointing to the hippies as his main reason for disliking the car aside from Hitler obviously. Nudism and flower power and such, I didn't find it very offensive but for a man who looks like an ageing hippy himself he did come across like an angry middle aged man from the 50s.

To me, it kind of came off as him saying the part he disliked was the clash between the cars history and its use as an icon of the hippies. It wasn't the fact that the hippies liked it, it was because they liked it despite the fact that it was pretty much created by and because of the Nazi's.

James does seem to have inherited that "old British spirit" from the 50's, so its no surprise he disapproves of the hippy counter culture stuff.

I liked the episode a lot and learned stuff and was entertained throughout. I'll be interested to see what comes in the upcoming episodes too.

It was pretty intersting. Even as a German I didn't know about the KDF-Con with the stamps.

BTW: Can anybody tell me what song played at ~49:50. The guitar picking one? I can't get it out of my head...