Motorcycle Tires

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
I am in need of new motorcycle tires and I realized that others might want to discuss tire choice. It doesn't matter if it's qualifying, track days, cruising, touring, dual-sport, or sport-touring - lets talk tires.

My VFR800 is currently in need of a new set and I was pleased with my Bridgestone BT-021 so I am considering the BT-023 as a replacement, the problem is my bike is about 450 lb so apparently I need the more expensive GT version of the BT-023. I don't remember that being a problem with the BT-021. So now I'm looking at almost $400 in new tires compared to just over $300.

As I have said before, I am pleased with the wear and handling characteristics of my Avon Storm/Storm Ultras. You just can't use them on a heavy mount like an ST1300. As I recall, the Storms are just fine with your VFR's weight and other VFR riders have been pleased with them. They are a little more expensive than the competition but worth it IMHO.

If you have an older bike, I recommend the Dunlop Arrowmax/GT501s. Sticky things that last a very long time and aren't excessively expensive.

I was also recommended the Pirelli Angel GTs. I'm hesitant to go Dunlop again, I have not had a good experience with them in terms of tread life.

The GT501s aren't available in sportbike type sizes so they're not an option for your VFR anyway. And I am not enthused by Dunlops other offerings in such sizes.

I have heard inconsistent things about the Pirelli Angels.

After doing some research, the shop that said I need the GT tires is full of shit, those are made for something like a GS1200 two-up with luggage and would be way too stiff for my bike. The BT-023s seem to consistently be getting good tread life without sacrificing grip for aggressive canyon riding, there are longer-lived tires out there but they don't seem to be as well received for sport riding. Since I found d a set of 023s in town mounted for $270, I think I will go get them tomorrow.

For the street I have always liked Michelin. A set of Pilot Road 3 would be my choice.

I'm running bt023's on my steel-framed, hard bag equipped, Suzuki bandit. They only have 5k on them, but they seem to be wearing quite well. It's dark right now, but I'll get some pics tomorrow if needed.

I don't like Bridgestones. Unfortunately, they are the only brand that make a modern slick tire in 18", so it's the only choice I have for my FZR 400 :(

For track tires, they are pretty bad, with bad wear characteristics. Dunlop, Pirelli and Michelin all offer more interesting products.

I have not tried their street offering, but they also have a pretty bad reputation regarding the wear characteristics for their front street tire.

What a coincidence...I need tires too...

deciding between another set of Bridgestone BT45s, Pirelli Sport Demons...or Avon AV45/46s. Of the three, what say FG?

Avon just came out with some new ones, the 3D line.

...right after I'd just ordered a pair of new Avon Storm 2 Ultras. Oh well.

Last edited:
I ran Pirelli Sport Demons on my old EX250 - good tire, but I know it's been around forever. I think it's still around because it's one of the only sticky tires that comes in smaller sizes for the smaller bikes.

I'm still favoring BT45 for my bike.
I found that there isn't much grip on mud and wet grass this weekend, but they are a pleasure on wet tarmac.
I get more confidence from them in the rain, then from the Lasertec in the dry.

Just a follow-up; I recently hit the wear bars on my Avon Storm 2 Ultra front and will soon do so on the rear. The front had about 8500 miles on it and is pictured below. The rear will have about 11K on it when I replace it later this week.

IMG_5786.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

If anyone is looking for another data point on my Avon Storm 2 Ultra tires, I just changed my rear tire out when it hit the wear bars. Mileage since it was put on, 11227 miles.

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

That's not bad at all. I'm in need of a new rear tire - I only have like 5K on the bike, and the Pirelli Angel STs didn't really last that long for my commuting habits. =(

I was thinking of putting on some 'stones since Blind's been running the BT-023s on his VFR.

That's not bad at all. I'm in need of a new rear tire - I only have like 5K on the bike, and the Pirelli Angel STs didn't really last that long for my commuting habits. =(

I was thinking of putting on some 'stones since Blind's been running the BT-023s on his VFR.

You weigh less than I do, you might get even better mileage out of these Avons.

Can't say I'm surprised about the Angel GT's, been reading a lot of 'I just commute and they didn't last more than 3K' stories lately.

The 919 community doesn't seem to think much of the BT023s, but they like the Pilot Road 2CT for mostly dry usage and the Pilot Road 3 if you encounter rain regularly.

Yeah, I really need to branch out and try more tires on the new bike to see what it likes. Good to hear on the Michelins and the Avons sound promising - I think I'll wait and put both front and rear Avons when things even out so I can actually do a complete set and try it out that way. =)