Ownership Verified: My 1984 Ford Mustang SVO and tow rig...

I can highly recommend the 3G alternator upgrade, even on "junkyard Taurus" level. It's cheap, it's easy, it's (almost) plug and play, and it gives you more power while removing a well-known fire hazard.

Regarding the wiring harness - is there any Holley EFI product supporting the SVO? Having tried both homebrew and Holley on Lucille, I know what I prefer. But the Megasquirt might actually have better support in a turbo application compared to a Holley product due to its popularity in the Japanese tuning scene.

I can highly recommend the 3G alternator upgrade, even on "junkyard Taurus" level. It's cheap, it's easy, it's (almost) plug and play, and it gives you more power while removing a well-known fire hazard.

Regarding the wiring harness - is there any Holley EFI product supporting the SVO? Having tried both homebrew and Holley on Lucille, I know what I prefer. But the Megasquirt might actually have better support in a turbo application compared to a Holley product due to its popularity in the Japanese tuning scene.
You can get a kit from a mustang performance parts place that gives you all of the wiring needed. I did that to my Mercury which now has a higher amp, safer alternator from a ‘98 mustang.

I'm looking into the 3G alternator upgrade, it appears there's a specific non-A/C truck model that bolts in the place of the 1G and would then require the requisite wiring.

I think on the engine wiring/ECU front I've decided to get a replacement harness for now, but can swap in a plug and play Pimp Megasquirt in place of the Thunderbird ECU at a later date. I won't get true sequential that way, but it would be better than the Thunderbird ECU.

As far as Holley, last I checked they didn't really offer anything in the way of 4-cylinders and would vote the budget anyway. Same if I tried to do the harness, Pimp ECU and LS1 coils in one shot.