My fight with liver failure has ended...

Agree wholeheartedly. rest in peace Steve.
I think it was.

(Bunny agrees.)

To follow up, in Judaism (which I bring up because it's something Steve and I shared), it is believed that someone's soul, their nefesh, in death lives on in everybody that knew them in life. At least, that's what I learned from my rabbi. So everybody in Steve's life holds a part of Steve. When you never forget him, he never truly is gone.

Additionally, "may their memory be a blessing" is what Jews say instead of "rest in peace." Why should they rest peacefully when they can be blessing to those around them, even when they've passed?

To follow up, in Judaism (which I bring up because it's something Steve and I shared), it is believed that someone's soul, their nefesh, in death lives on in everybody that knew them in life. At least, that's what I learned from my rabbi. So everybody in Steve's life holds a part of Steve. When you never forget him, he never truly is gone.
I am an atheist and I don't believe in afterlife or anything of the sort but this is a very nice way of thinking about it. Thank you for sharing that.

I've heard a similar sentiment expressed about dying twice. It goes something like this:

Everyone dies twice: once when they pass away, and again when they're remembered for the last time.

I think Steve will be around for a bit longer in that sense. :)