New car threads MUST HAVE PROOF OF OWNERSHIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive portions of the population here would geek out over that. A column shifter, on the other hand, is pretty lame.

Also, when did we get the bitchin' check icons?
I just started turning them on for threads (only mods+admins can add it). Makes things much easier to see who posted a proof shot, and who has not.

Want a green checky box added to your thread? Find your proof photo that you posted, and PM me with the post url.

However in this case the rule is here to stay. You have to remember that the rule didn't come out of thin air. It's not like one day we decided to force everyone to go to the (small) hassle of providing proof. It came about because too many morons would start a thread and only later would we find out they were full of shit. "Who cares?" you may say, but it's annoying, disrespectful, and it feels like a betrayal to anyone who took the time to reply to the thread. We simply don't like trolls.

This rule is a good balance between proof (impossible to photoshop) and not causing lots of hassle (it takes 30 seconds to write your username on a piece of paper and cut a hole in it, we're not asking for you to make a video or something). A tiny bit of extra work from you and no disappointed members of the community.

While I completely respect and understand the reasons for this particular decision, I feel it actually takes away from the community.

It feels like adjusting for immaturity on our part?think nanny state. In another car community I sometimes frequent there are some people with garages far more impressive than any posted on here. There is maybe a little fawning over that, but for the most part their posts are subject to the same meritocracy as everyone else's.

I would prefer a middle-of-the-road solution: Use the recently added checkmark to label proven ownership, via the current standard or something else that you/admins/mods/everyone finds acceptable. This way Nocturnal can have this thread and those of us who don't mind can enjoy the pictures/conversation, and the pickier members can ignore it because he hasn't posted proof. Win-win.

Still don't like the rule? Okay, well sorry then. Don't post your car I guess. :)

And I won't be. I know it matters little now (though I ironically have posted proof for my current car, however inconsistent), but some day I won't be driving a bucket.

It is hardly a Nanny State move to ask someone to do someone as photograph their name on a paper while they are photographing the rest of the car anyway. What would be a Nanny move is to put the community or admin team in charge of vetting every thread. It's not that big a deal.

Massive portions of the population here would geek out over that. A column shifter, on the other hand, is pretty lame.

Also, when did we get the bitchin' check icons?

It depends on the vehicle, I can think of dozens of column shift cars that are incredibly awesome. Also, I have respect for anyone driving a three-on-the-tree.

Last edited:
It is hardly a Nanny State move to ask someone to do someone as photograph their name on a paper while they are photographing the rest of the car anyway. What would be a Nanny move is to put the community or admin team in charge of vetting every thread. It's not that big a deal.
Not sure if you are implying the addition is good or bad.

There are 990 threads posted in this section, and it is too much of a hassle to keep track of who posted proof, who has an exempt thread due to age, or who is a bullshitter.. so the prefixes were added as a "reviewed" indicator.

I just posted a proof pic of my bike, it took a whopping minute to find a piece of paper and stick it through the shifter.

I just posted a proof pic of my bike, it took a whopping minute to find a piece of paper and stick it through the shifter.

You must REALLY need approval and to show off if you went through all this effort...:p

A bit nitpicking. The new icon's transparency is a bit flawed (which makes it look bad) and it should probably be the same size as the "go to first new post" icon (12x12px). Because of those it stands out too much and looks ugly at the moment.

Strange rule for a forum but, I understand. I take a proof picture soon to make a thread about my car.
Have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.