TV: New Star Trek Series "Discovery" Premieres January 2017

Netflix claims that the HoC cancellation was planned anyways and they only moved the press release date. Apart from that, just as with Weinstein, Spacey's habit of molesting young men seems to have been an open secret in Hollywood, so it's far from only being "(s)he said".

They were in the middle of production when they announced this would be it's last season just after the allegation was first hit the press. Not cancelled, just not renewed. A couple of days later, they suspended production indefinitely, "to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew".

They were in the middle of production when they announced this would be it's last season just after the allegation was first hit the press. Not cancelled, just not renewed. A couple of days later, they suspended production indefinitely, "to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew".
Which by now seems to boil down to "as shit has hit the fan, crew members refuse to continue being groped by the main star."

Star Trek: Discovery has returned, just in case anybody missed it.

Episode 10: "Despite Yourself".

So... they lasted 9 episodes before they took the "dark mirror universe" route. Is that a new record? :p
It's also the least surprising solution to the cliffhanger at the end of the previous episode imaginable. Well, it was alternate universe or time travel, really.

However well done this new story arc is, I am disappointed by the lack of imagination. They also seem very determined to make this new Star Trek series a space war drama, which makes me yearn for the return of "The Orville" even more.

DanRoM;n3543877 said:
Episode 10: "Despite Yourself".

So... they lasted 9 episodes before they took the "dark mirror universe" route. Is that a new record? :p
It's also the least surprising solution to the cliffhanger at the end of the previous episode imaginable. Well, it was alternate universe or time travel, really.

However well done this new story arc is, I am disappointed by the lack of imagination. They also seem very determined to make this new Star Trek series a space war drama, which makes me yearn for the return of "The Orville" even more.

They could have gone the Voyager route too and just put them REALLY far away from home too. That is actually what I was expecting...but I've been watching Voyager all the way through over the last 6 months so I have it on the brain. I'll admit I kind of wish Discovery was more like that and less edgy. I guess we'll see how this whole thing goes down, but I'm not thrilled. They did go with a less predictable "alternate captain" route...the easy one would have been to have Burnham be the captain.

I think I'm still liking The Orville better...but for that one I would have preferred they just make it actual Star Trek. I know they wanted to try some new things that would be taboo in Star Trek, but I kinda miss it. I never really watched Voyager when it was on but liked TNG quite a bit as a kid. Its been really neat to watch it and enjoy it. I'm a 1/3 of the way through the last season, so gonna be kinda sad in about 18 episodes when its over. Haha...I guess I might have to add Deep Space Nine on...though I definitely watched a lot of that as a kid too.

I'm not sure I like this level of drama this plot development adds.. I don't like the constant "when will they fuck up?" dangling over the show. And I don't even want to think about them milking that whole shebang a second time when they suddenly decide to sprinkle in or add on episodes with the "bad" Discovery wreaking havoc in the original universe, fooling everyone there.. I am fine with the alternate universe, but I hate the whole "they're just like us but evil - LET'S BLEND IN!" premise. In every show they have done it, and in Star Trek too. I should source the aforementioned seasons of Voyager and watch that again after years of if not more than a decade by now..

It's back on air with Season 2 now.

So far (two eps in) I like the new season. Definitely feels more trekky than the generic space war opera with Star Trek visual language that they did in the first season.

Watched the last episode of season 2 last night. I have to confess I've really enjoyed it and rather disappointed that apparently Captain Pike won't be back for season 3.

I think Season 2 had some of the strongest episode across the whole 50-year canon especially during the middle of it's run, but the final two-parter was a let down only partly saved by massive amount of fan service (hot tatooted pierced alien nerd girl, Enterprise's bridge, Enterprise's turbolifts, Enterprise's corridors, Enterprise's uniforms, Spock finally looking like Spock...).

Last edited:
Well, Spock finally looking like someone who has gone to a convention dressed as Spock. :p

Entirely possible that we are seeing it's birth: What is also obvious is that the spore drive will soon be weaponized, leading to the well-known Klingon virus. Section 31 could cover that war crime, thus returning us to the traditional timeline (and Klingon make-up). Something as powerful as the spore drive can't be undone in the continuity without something going horribly wrong.
While I was wrong about the Klingon virus, they have successfully removed the Spore drive from the timeline, making it explicit that it must never be mentioned outside Discovery.

I think Season 2 had some of the strongest episode across the whole 50-year canon

Due to the serialised nature of Discovery, I'm having trouble remembering individual episodes. Its one of the things I don't like about the new show. I like having favourite episodes.

Watched the last episode of season 2 last night. I have to confess I've really enjoyed it and rather disappointed that apparently Captain Pike won't be back for season 3.

Alex Kurtzman on the fan campaign to start a Pike/Spock spin-off series set on the Enterprise-

“The fans have been heard. Anything is possible in the world of Trek. I would love to bring back that crew more than anything. It was a huge risk for us. One of the most gratifying things is to see how deeply the fans have embraced Pike, Spock, Number One and the Enterprise. The idea of getting to tell more stories with them would be a delight for all of us.”

I think it is a real possibility. One of the producers recently said that within two years they want to have enough Star Trek series going that whenever one season ends, another series' season is ready for release with only a short break in between. The untitled Picard series has just begun filming and has been described as "a psychological portait" of Picard after the destruction of Romulus. After that they will be making an animated Star Trek sitcom called "Lower Decks" and a Section 31, black-ops spin-off with Michelle Yeoh's Captain Georgiou. There is also talk of a youth-oriented show based at Starfleet Academy. They want to make a range of programmes of different genres all set within the Star Trek universe.

That would be great news. I really like the way Pike has been written and played in this run and I think this version of Spock would develop in a good way free from the Burnham angst and story arc.

I hope they give Michelle some elocution lessons until the next show. Why does she sound like she's dubbed in Discovery?

And if you're a fan of season 2 of Discovery (like me), don't forget to track down Short Treks (15 minute episodes set in the world of Discovery not tied in (too much) to the main story).

I liked the show very much, but in retrospect it annoys me that it was from the beginning a giant exercise in steering towards everything being essentally deleted from the timeline in the end, instead of trying to wove things into canon. It meant that they could just do outrageous things (like the spore drive, like Spock having an adopted sister), but there was never a need to even bother about how they could make sense in the Star Trek universe. This screams 1. laziness and 2. using an established universe and its fanbase without even trying to respect its inner logic. I don't know if I'll bother with season 3, because the story as such has found its ending and because everything must be for naught anyway (except they have adventures in the far future, that's possible).

That said, I liked it. I also especially liked this interpretation of spock (save for the silly look in the final scene :p ).

Also, Enterprise's first officer looked like she jumped right out of the fifties or sixties, styling-wise. Nice touch. :D

There's too much existing material that ignores Discovery to try and make it canon. And doing a Disney and saying it doesn't matter, we're starting over, would be a douchy thing to do.

Season 3 Teaser Trailer is now available. I won't post a link as it seems to be location sensitive.