Ownership Verified: One for the other foot? A French Impostor? - 2005 Smart Roadster Coupé

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
It’s just the stalk? That’s really nice.
Yup. Well, the stalk and the switchgear behind it.

Image pinched from eBay, they're all using the same image anyway so I have no shame.

This is a straight swap for the wiper stalk that is already there and just needs the extra plug, I now know it has, connecting up. The SAM unit was listed as having CC enabled when I bought it and with the paddles working I have no reason to doubt that claim.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
Well tickle my privates, it's nearly two weeks since I posted that last update. Since then, some events have occurred.

Firstly, the stalk arrived and was fitted. Unfortunately, despite my clear recollection (or not) of the eBay listing when I bought the replacement SAM and its mention of cruise control being enabled, it didn't work. Well, shit. Fine, I'll arrange with S2 Smarts to have it coded as I pass by.

You see, last weekend I made a little trip down the south coast to visit MWF, HWF 3.0, SonWF, CatWF, DogWF and some bloke from Slovenistan. I was using the M25, so a trip in to Watford is only a little detour and wouldn't add much to the journey. As it turned out, something else I could've never foreseen would add more time to the journey.

Spoiler Text: (Click here to toggle display)

All seemed fine when I started the journey and it wasn't until I looked in the right door mirror and saw steam pouring out from the back of the car that I realised something was wrong. I should've noticed the temp gauge climbing before it got to this point but it's not in a natural position to glance at while driving normally. I crawled off the motorway at the next exit (fortunately I was already pretty much on top if it) and stopped at the first lay-by I found and opened everything up. It quickly became apparent that I had lost a load of coolant and that the radiator was cold.

The AA was called out and long story short, there was an airlock in the system that prevented the thermostat from opening and saved the honey bee that was sitting on it from being cooked. Some fresh AA water later and after a check over and a quick drive through the back roads to the next motorway services, everything was fine. Never had an issue after that and no damage was done, apparently it's common with Roadsters as the header tank is barely higher than the thermostat housing. I got to S2 Smarts just in time to get the CC done and it works beautifully, a great addition on a long drive. The rest of the drive to MWF HQ was great, there are some very nice roads down there.

On Saturday we went out for a scenic drive and did a car swap, me and Ice went in Maisie the MX-5 and I reminded myself how a clutch pedal works (only the bobtail is a manual and I haven't driven that for at least a month), while MWF and SonWF went in the Smart. We stuck the GoPro on the MX-5 and this was the result (apologies for the wind noise, nowhere to mount the mic).

Then we swapped back and headed for a taster at a fantastic local pub. Note my massive fuck-up at the end where the GoPro mic adapter bites the dust.

The drive back was also fantastic as I could have the roof down the whole way, being stuck in a queue on the M25 and watching planes pass over through the open roof as they approach Heathrow is really something. I have some other bits from the weekend but will post them in the meet thread.

Reactions: lip

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
You should buy a tiny trailer to pull tiny car with large car. I have sat behind larger pickups in the fiat and been like "hmm.... ALMOST bug enough" looking at the truck bed. And this is even SMALLER so.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
You should buy a tiny trailer to pull tiny car with large car. I have sat behind larger pickups in the fiat and been like "hmm.... ALMOST bug enough" looking at the truck bed. And this is even SMALLER so.
How about an even tinier trailer pulled with a tiny car? :D

Borrowed from this Imgur album from the Roadster Times 2019 show.

Even with a car this tiny I would have to pass another driving test in this country to tow it on a trailer, something I've actually wanted to do for a long time but it's a low priority, learning to weld would be a higher priority. I could tow the roaster with a tow dolly if I wanted to as it's a robotic manual instead of a proper automatic although I dread to think what Bugsy's fuel economy would be like with an extra 790kg behind it. :LOL:

It looked lost on the little van-based tow truck I used to take it down to Watford a month or so ago after the coolant pipe failed and those things aren't big at all.

I would love to have something like Mr. Aging Wheels is building or like The Escargot that the guys from Bad Obsession Motorsport are working on.

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
I see you're missing the Beetle. :p:D
More like I suck at phone typing :p
I don't miss the beetle it is in the driveway i just updated the thread for it.

Also a scorpion is still a bug so technically you could say both my cars are bugs :LOL:

And yeah it probably wouldn't be worth it most of the time but it would be a fun option for a trip. I always wanted something on the lines of a vw bus but that would be A Lot of car for me most of the time on these europe like narrow cow path roads.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
To help prevent cooling issues in the future I bought an Autool X60, a £31 bit of kit that reads from the OBDII port and offers a coolant temp alarm among many other things.

My original plan was to replace the existing coolant temp gauge with this little thing, however after taking everything apart...

...I found that it wasn't going to fit properly and would frankly be too far away to see properly. So I tried a bunch of positions:

I went for #5 as it was right in front of me and doesn't obstruct anything. Just for clarity as it was hard to get them in the right position, #4 was supposed to be in front of the rev counter in a way that didn't obstruct it or the lights hidden inside the black area.

So I made a bracket from an old HDD cover. It follows the shape of the clocks as best it can and from the front the new gauge doesn't cover anything, I also went for this idea as I have two of these plastic trim parts (along with a spare white set of clocks) so don't feel bad drilling holes.

The USB-OBDII cable fits snugly in the back and should be as good as invisible when it's fully installed.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
Oh, snap! Screen is fitted. Tricky to see here as it's rather reflective and this was before I moved the light sensor that they stupidly fitted in a place where it will always be covered by the USB cable, causing it to think it's night time and dim the brightness of the screen.

The data is there though, the all important temperature next to voltage, a pointless shift light at the top and I forget what the bottom bar is set to. Currently the main display is set to speed but it can be many different things such as live MPG or average MPG (that seems to reset when you stop for some reason). All wires are tucked inside the dash.

The temp warning also works and is set to 95 degrees science, it beeps and flashes in a way that even I can't miss. The fan kicks in at 100 degrees, I may bump the warning up to 105 as it's only when it gets above this, indicating an airlock or other fault, that I'm concerned.

Tempted to paint it to match, lots of scope to fuck it up though...

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
Much easier to see at night and with the brightness cranked up. Unfortunately I found out that the MPG figure is a live counter only and doesn't do average. Meh.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
Got myself a new Quechua tent for the roadtrip and Ringmeet, specifically so that it fits in the back of the Roadie. This is the two man tent so is only 66cm in diameter when packed instead of the 77cm of the previous one and it makes all the difference!

You may remember, the old tent hangs over into the path of the roof so no opening or closing on the move.

New one clears nicely with the same suitcase beneath it. The bars should stop it moving but I have other ideas if that seems to be a problem. Photography skills have improved massively, no finger in the shot.

It can be wedged behind the front seat but I imagine this would be rather uncomfortable for any passengers. It can even be wedged in the frunk if the roof bars are still on the car

The tent is the Fresh & Black, aside from fixing the size issue it should also be nicer in the mornings where it sometimes became too warm and bright inside my old tent. Doesn't have the built-in lights though, boo.