Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

the steering wheel controls

Has the number of buttons on the steering wheel become some kind of status symbol? I got a Toyota C-HR from the rental car roulette earlier this week and its wheel was covered in buttons (18 IIRC), but this Subaru is even worse.

Has the number of buttons on the steering wheel become some kind of status symbol? I got a Toyota C-HR from the rental car roulette earlier this week and its wheel was covered in buttons (18 IIRC), but this Subaru is even worse.

More buttons is more better?

This sort of thing is the ideal, I guess:

c

Seems to be all the rage since "Drive to Survive" took off...

Now we're going backwards towards wheels that have no physical buttons, and just scroll wheels.

This sort of thing is the ideal, I guess:

c

Seems to be all the rage since "Drive to Survive" took off...

I don't see any radio controls. Back to the drawing board! 😂

Do first-generation Rover 213s and 216s show up in British scrapyards anymore? There's a 1985 Honda Civic for sale worryingly near me that I am very tempted to turn into the Bucket-mobile from Keeping Up Appearances, and I'd just need front and rear-end bits from a Rover.

Do first-generation Rover 213s and 216s show up in British scrapyards anymore? There's a 1985 Honda Civic for sale worryingly near me that I am very tempted to turn into the Bucket-mobile from Keeping Up Appearances, and I'd just need front and rear-end bits from a Rover.
Unfortunately I think those are long gone from scrapyards. This shape?

1710406134635.png

Let's put it this way, the one local to me had early 2000s Freelanders a couple of years ago and that was a big surprise. We don't have quite as much space for old stuff to lie around as you have in the US, which is a shame.

Although it's been a while since I looked for it... didn't we once have a "Motorsports" forum? I searched but couldn't find it today.

In any case, I thought I'd throw in a photo from yesterday. It had been over a year since I'd competed in an autocross, so I registered for the season-opener for our local SCCA region. I was really unhappy with the course set-up - it was like driving through a forest of pylons. I DNF'd my first 3 runs, as did some other entrants. I'm old enough that I have nothing left to prove to anyone, so I retired the car and helped with timing. So much for that, but a friend (Shane Day) who's a professional photographer was there and took some pics (which he kindly donates to our region). He got a good shot of me on one of the straights, so I thought I'd share it:
RCR_Solo_03.16.2024.jpg

Also, apologies for the crappy taped IDs... I couldn't find my vinyl letters, so I had to resort to painters' tape.

Although it's been a while since I looked for it... didn't we once have a "Motorsports" forum? I searched but couldn't find it today.

In any case, I thought I'd throw in a photo from yesterday. It had been over a year since I'd competed in an autocross, so I registered for the season-opener for our local SCCA region. I was really unhappy with the course set-up - it was like driving through a forest of pylons. I DNF'd my first 3 runs, as did some other entrants. I'm old enough that I have nothing left to prove to anyone, so I retired the car and helped with timing. So much for that, but a friend (Shane Day) who's a professional photographer was there and took some pics (which he kindly donates to our region). He got a good shot of me on one of the straights, so I thought I'd share it:

Also, apologies for the crappy taped IDs... I couldn't find my vinyl letters, so I had to resort to painters' tape.

You're doing autocross? I had no idea you were into that! awesome stuff!. :D