Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I went with a friend to get a Chevy Bolt 2 years ago. They had one in stock and they told her "you don't want one of those", turned and walked away. Went to another salesdrone and she said "we aren't allowed to sell the one we have", and she walked away. We then went to the sales manager and he was surprised to know they had one in stock. He then wanted a 5% premium on the sticker price.

This was a guaranteed sale. Color and options did not matter, but she was not a stooge.

We went to another dealer and were asked one question, "do you mean the hybrid or the EV" and were then shown the cars they had in stock(both of them). She drove the blue one home.

The first dealer failed with every opportunity. I never recommend that dealer, but will the second without hesitation.
Something like this happened to me with the ford dealer. I went to test drive a fiesta there when the bug's transmission was dying and they wouldn't let me even look at the mustangs to test drive, while condescendingly implying I could not handle one. Like not even a GT or anything, the base V6 one.

On a similar note, this is the specific reason I will actually take my beetle to the dealer, because they replaced the transmission for free when the warranty had been gone like a year. And thank fucking god cuz we did not have a fiat dealership back then. It sucks though because the rs fiesta would probably have been more reliable then the fiat and the dealership is like half a mile from my house.

I went to family friends' place, they have a W202 Mercedes C180 for sale, for 1,350€ with no MOT, but the car is in pretty damn good condition. The owner claims the mileage is original, which is about 200,000 km. Unfortunately, I couldn't testify that as the car had no battery in it and W202's have digital odometers, but the seats aren't worn out (they're half-leather seats), the engine looks exceptionally clean and the body has no rust (from my understanding, the W202 are prone to rust, but the owner claims this one is galvanised), and it's supposed to be a "custom-order" car although I call bullshit on that claim, unless that means something like optional wheels or half-leather seats (as it has wheels like this one).

I mean, even if the car isn't as "custom" as he claims, it seems like a decent car for the money. I wouldn't jump on it, as a) I don't really have the money, b) don't have a need for it and c) it allegedly consumes 10 l/100 km of petrol. It's too nice and too expensive to do a fifty-fifty deal with my friend and use it as a roadtrip beater (which we plan to do one day), but as the owner is in no hurry to sell it... Who knows, maybe in a few months? A year or two? Although I know that if I bought it, my mum would've killed me and my dad wouldn't part-take in maintenance. So I'll pass on it.

But is any of the European members looking for a decent, basic, petrol-engined manual W202 C-Class?

Last edited:
It would appear that, inadvertently, I have a 4 litre car....

e3dd12716b9f0b214cde3e94065eb2c3.jpg

I completely don't get it.

70.7 Imperial MPG equates to 4L/100km in fuel consumption. I averaged 71.1mpg over 16.3 miles on my commute today.

Official figures say I should get around 60mpg in steady highway driving but about 49mpg during a normal rush hour commute.

Just shows what some diligent hypermiling can achieve. For the record the journey took just 2 minutes longer than normal.

And over a year would save about half of what it costs for the three of us to attend Ringmeet with the two grownups staying in a hotel.

I completely don't get it.

4 l/100km. I was confused at first, I have a 4 litre car in a very different way. :D

Speaking of which, I'm really itching to get this centre exhaust pipe changed for some rumble.

Edit: Damn I took too long watching videos of V8s.

Driving the Mustang from MI to MA last Friday I managed to squeeze out 430 miles from a single tank. That comes out to 28.8mpg. A new personal best.

Driving the Mustang from MI to MA last Friday I managed to squeeze out 430 miles from a single tank. That comes out to 28.8mpg. A new personal best.

notbad.jpg

I got 18-20 driving the GTO to Dallas, but I have the wrong transmission.

The 4Runner seems to average right around 17mpg combined but it recently got 24 sustained on a highway cruise at about 70.

It would appear that, inadvertently, I have a 4 litre car....

e3dd12716b9f0b214cde3e94065eb2c3.jpg
What's that at the pump, though? A5's computer claims 6.8 l/100km (34.5 US mpg, 41.6 UK mpg), but the pump says 7.5 (31.3 US mpg, 37.7 UK mpg). That's about 10% off.

Right folks, what is this? FG's Telegram is letting me down on this one, as is my own memory, as I can recall having this seen once somewhere...

Also doesn't appear to be on IMCDB. It's from Miami Vice Season 4 Episode 18, in the last couple of seconds of the episode.

What a majestic beast that is. Looks like it was originally designed to be a mobile space command centre, then modified to be an RV.

That rear overhang, think it would fit under the bridge at VS? ?

ELDORADO STARFIRE

eldorado-starfire-03.jpg

The build quality of the front of this looks like it comes just that little bit pre-crashed from the factory.