Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
So somewhat ironically it's like a half a decade older version of me being too fed up with the tiptronic to replace it with another auto when it dies.

Tbh I DID wonder why, if they already HAD shiftable automatics why the tiptronic would be a novelty in 2003 :|

Ah well I'll try to sell her on the manual. I don't think she would like the V8 one much herself even if I would have fun with it 😂

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
So somewhat ironically it's like a half a decade older version of me being too fed up with the tiptronic to replace it with another auto when it dies.

Tbh I DID wonder why, if they already HAD shiftable automatics why the tiptronic would be a novelty in 2003 :|

Ah well I'll try to sell her on the manual. I don't think she would like the V8 one much herself even if I would have fun with it 😂
You can also swap a Subaru engine into one and retain the rear engine position.

As for the SA gearbox itself, it wasn't really an automatic gearbox, more like a clutchless manual. You still had to shift it yourself at all times and it wasn't very good - some estimates were that it ate half or more of the power of the engine to run. It also tended to break a lot with a lot of weird failure modes; I suspect a great number of them were killed trying to climb the ascents on I-5 from LA to San Francisco, along with their manual siblings.

Tiptronic was a novelty because you could shift it yourself in an action that resembled manual shifting, but it really was a conventional automatic that it was attached to. You didn't have to move up and down the PRND32L range, you put it into a side gate and could simply punch up or down to shift accordingly, or if you chose you could leave it in D and it would behave as a conventional auto.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Many things, none of them working.
The MCM swap was way more complicated than it needed to be because they were shoehorning a shit hot turbo motor in. Any random EJ engine is going to kick the crap out of a beetle motor.

Problem there is that Subaru swaps typically retain the beetle transmission. There is a manufacturer of reverse cut Subaru front differential gears, and there's a method for locking out the "rear" (now front) but then you're doing weird exotic transmission work and need to cut up the beetle pan to fit the much differently shaped subaru trans.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
The vinyl on the side of the Mustang is starting to wether, question is do I want to put same exact stuff on just new or go with something different. I do like the look, it does a good job of adding a bit of an accent to an otherwise boring side.