Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Now descending into the "Oh god WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" level of terrible SUVs/crossovers, I see. For their age, there are a shocking number of Traverses and Journeys in my local junkyards that show no signs whatsoever of having been flooded or in a collision.
shrug She knows a lot of people too proud to drive around 4-figure bangers who are super enthusiastic about their shitboxes.

Didn't know anything about them, so I looked into them today. And yeah. Absolutely not. The no-bowtie rule exists for a reason.

IIRC, none of the D40-based trucks short of the Pathfinder got major stereo upgrades in the last decade or so, so they all have older stereos without A2DP. I suspect that the reason they didn't upgrade was because of the on-again-off-again plan to bring the D23 to the US, which was supposed to happen back in 2014 but keeps getting postponed for no reason I'm aware of. Makes sense to maybe not upgrade something that's about to be replaced, but it's been a while now...

My 2014 allows Bluetooth music from the connected phone. Only thing I wish it did was allow two Bluetooth devices to be connected. One for calls, the other for music. Like Toyota does.

My 2014 allows Bluetooth music from the connected phone. Only thing I wish it did was allow two Bluetooth devices to be connected. One for calls, the other for music. Like Toyota does.

I type corrected, then. Thought they hadn't updated - welp, if so, should be able to swap that into the XTerra. :p

Until now, all the the Gladiators I've seen at shows and on the road have been Rubicons. Just saw my first base model. Rental car white, small tires, black plastic fenders, black plastic top. Gotta say, severely underwhelmed. Boderline ugly and out of proportion.

3YWaB2Am.png

vs

0pCLoX5m.png

I type corrected, then. Thought they hadn't updated - welp, if so, should be able to swap that into the XTerra. :p
I have a work around for it, since it came with a factory 30 pin for iPods, I got a 30pin BT adaptor that actually works rather well.
I’m still contemplating getting an aftermarket HU and adding a backup cam.

Until now, all the the Gladiators I've seen at shows and on the road have been Rubicons. Just saw my first base model. Rental car white, small tires, black plastic fenders, black plastic top. Gotta say, severely underwhelmed. Boderline ugly and out of proportion.

3YWaB2Am.png

vs

0pCLoX5m.png

IMG_20190611_134738e67f26f440f4130f.jpg

IMG_20190611_134736_11fb7cc9c998cd277.jpg

IMG_20190611_1347361fef6a24b8f2f632.jpg

IMG_20190611_134734156c54576c018540.jpg

IMG_20190611_13473369073c911a050376.jpg

So since a specific mechanic flubbed the bug repair I have to wait for him to fix it or I have to pay and mom today apparently jumped the queue and bumped me out for what? A tire leak.

Yes she has a slow leak in her tire, her probably replaced the previous time I replaced the bug's tires which I think was at least 5-6 years ago and that was largely because I was barely driving it and they were in shitty shape.

The last tine i drove the bug i got HECKLED at a stop light over the top i hate this damn convertible top sensor why can i not just turn it off

Edit: OF FUCKING COURSE it is apparently in the same spot as Malfunction Window oh man am I sorely tempted to go attempt to fix it myself now.

Last edited:
It is always wild when I drive both cars on the same day because I will get into the bug after the Fiat and be like "ah yes, Stealth car. Luxurious low giant comfort cruiser."

None of these things are really true about it but boy does it feel it ?

It is always wild when I drive both cars on the same day because I will get into the bug after the Fiat and be like "ah yes, Stealth car. Luxurious low giant comfort cruiser."

None of these things are really true about it but boy does it feel it ?

Since my Golf is manual and the wagons aren't, I will stomp the floor with the left foot to press the "clutch."

Since my Golf is manual and the wagons aren't, I will stomp the floor with the left foot to press the "clutch."

I have transmission problems mostly due to the fact the fiat is literally the exact opposite to the bug so muscle memory screws me over consistently ?

How is it opposite? Both are PRND and move in one direction...

Btw a recent mechanics loaner reminded me how horrible old 4-speed automatics were back in the 99s and early 2000s.

Some 4 speeds were bad, some were just fine. A lot depended on what engine it was bolted to. The peakier the engine, the worse it seemed.

As for the gearshifts, notice the fact that the "tiptronic" gates are on opposite sides.

Some 4 speeds were bad, some were just fine. A lot depended on what engine it was bolted to. The peakier the engine, the worse it seemed.

As for the gearshifts, notice the fact that the "tiptronic" gates are on opposite sides.
You mean the “delusional” gates

Why would anyone ever use those (unless descending a steep hill or something)? Maybe the Fiat one is ok but the VW manual mode was terrible back then - I know because I used to drive a Golf from that era with tiptronic, same exact gearbox and engine as kat's beetle.

You mean the “delusional” gates

Depends on the trans attached to the shifter. Remember, an automatic is physically capable of changing gears faster than a human - if the manufacturer set up the valve body or shift program to enable it.

Why would anyone ever use those (unless descending a steep hill or something)? Maybe the Fiat one is ok but the VW manual mode was terrible back then - I know because I used to drive a Golf from that era with tiptronic, same exact gearbox and engine as kat's beetle.

In general you would use them because the OE's shift programming is totally wrong for what you want it to do - spirited driving in the age of heavy CAFE compliance. CAFE did cripple a lot of 80s, 90s and 2000s automatics with pretty bad "eco" biased shift programming.

In general you would use them because the OE's shift programming is totally wrong for what you want it to do - spirited driving in the age of heavy CAFE compliance did cripple a lot of 80s, 90s and 2000s automatics with pretty bad "eco" biased shift programming.
I'll pass on day-long shifts for spirited driving...

Depends on the trans attached to the shifter. Remember, an automatic is physically capable of changing gears faster than a human - if the manufacturer set up the valve body or shift program to enable it.
Irrelevant, still not a manual.