Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Let's start another "Random Thoughts" thread about entertainment and technology.

I'll start with DRM. I'm little confused about how it works; I know it limits PC games to 3 or so installs on different machines, but what happens when you use up all your installs?

And WWWWWH did DRM come into existence?

Last edited:
Oh this is nice, i suggested such a thing for games in random thoughts :D

iirc EA and a couple of other companies have it such that when you remove the game it removes the DRM lock on it.

It is really time consuming to convert .wav files of entire LP sides into .flac and then cutting them up into tracks.

On my motherboard, there are 4 slots for memory sticks. From one side to another, they are two different colours; it goes black, yellow, black, yellow. I have two sticks of 2gb memory in the first yellow and black slots. Does it matter where I put the sticks? Will they work "together" (or "Dual Channel") if they are in the same coloured slots?

Last edited:
^ I'd check you mainboard's manual.

I recently had to buy some new RAM, because one of my 512mb sticks (yes, my computer is quite old) that ran in dual channel fried itself some time ago. Even surfing became troublesome, so I had no other choice than to suck up and pay the ridiciulously high prices for DDR1 modules.
Anyway, I have two memory 'banks' in different colours on my board with 2 slots each, and when I inserted both new modules in one and the same bank, the PC wouldn't even start. After checking, the manual said it is suggested to place them in different banks so they can run in dual-chan, but apparently that's the only way it'd work at all.

I'd guess you've got it set up right for dual channel, but again, you manual should have the specific info.

Well, here's a scan from the manual:

5bdx6q.jpg

So, does Dual Channel mean that both have to be in one channel together (i.e A or B)? Both 2GB sticks are in Channel A, so means their in Dual Channel, right?

Last edited:
Correct.

That doesn't seem to make sense, to me at least. I mean, just going by the name: how is it supposed to work as dual channel if both modules are in a single channel?
Also, excerpt from my mobo's manual:
If two DDR memory modules are installed, one must be added to a Channel A slot and the other into a Channel B slot in order to use dual channel memory.

Again, I'm not 100% sure about this, because I don't really care that much about computer tech.
But isn't there another page concerning memory installation in your manual? The one you posted only shows the arrangement of slots.

Ok, I read some more in the manual and found this:

1692nn4.jpg

Yeah, looks like shad_68 is right, and I just now realized that for them to work in dual channel, they can't be in the same channel; one has to be in channel A and the other has to be in channel B.

It's been like that (both on channel A) since I did the rebuild last November. What's the performance difference between two sticks in the same channel and two sticks in dual channel?

I feel like an idiot. :(

Last edited:
An entertainment comment:

HIGNFY was brilliant tonight. Reg D Hunter is always so funny, just the way he plays the race card so well! :p While talking about the palace party that the BNP leader is trying to go to: Ian; 'I think there will be some black people there...' Reg; 'Working.'

I'm so annoyed that I'm missing him on the 9th July - he's coming to the comedy night things, and I'm seeing Oasis at Wembley.

Just started playing race 07 again, only to find that there have been two big expansions since and I now have to pay ?15 each for them just to play online because all the servers use the new cars and tracks. Damn!

Okay, I'll say it...TERMINATOR SALVATION WAS FREAKING EPIC!!!

I might go and see it again tomorrow!

Just started playing race 07 again, only to find that there have been two big expansions since and I now have to pay ?15 each for them just to play online because all the servers use the new cars and tracks. Damn!

And to make things a little more annoying there is a third expansion coming..

And to make things a little more annoying there is a third expansion coming..

So I saw! I've downloaded GTR Evo anyway, cause it looks cool. STCC will come free with Race On so I'll buy it then. The diesel Seats will make Race 07 more interesting I reckon, but I almost always use the 320si anyway. The advantage I get at the stars from RWD will be lesser now...

^It will be intresting to see if the make Zanardis gearbox sequential.. And i think that if you aren't swedish GTR evo is the better game.. However "Knutstorp" is a really good track!!

Springwatch has just stated again on BBC2, goes out live at 20:00 Monday to Thursday for the next three weeks.
This is possibly only of interest to Jayhawk & a few of the Lens Flair photography crew. (Programs will most likely be around the internets ?somewhere?.)

Springwatch ? BBC Link (vids may need proxies)

Wikipedia Description
Wikipedia said:
Springwatch is an annual BBC television series which charts the fortunes of wildlife during the arrival of springtime in the United Kingdom. The majority of each episode is broadcast live from locations around the country. It requires a crew of 100 and over 50 cameras, making it the BBC's largest British outside broadcast event. Many of the cameras are hidden and operated remotely to record natural behaviour, for example, of birds in their nests and badgers outside their sett.
Article continues

Last edited:
I actually watch it. Chris Packham was better than Bill Oddie I reckon.

Just started playing Freedom Fighters because I was looking for a good action game that I haven't played before, and so far, I'm impressed, although, either the enemies have too much armor, or the guns are too week; one guy can take a lot of damage before going down.

The only good action game I can think of that I haven't played yet is GTA IV, but prices are still a bit too high ATM.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for an action game that has a good storyline, and good gameplay; nothing too old though.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for an action game that has a good storyline, and good gameplay; nothing too old though.

Not knowing what you've played through I cannot make anything but guesses, but Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, and the original Road to Hill 30, are very good games. Road to Hill 30 on hard is a bit of a challenge (especially if you add realism mods which make things... interesting).

I just finished the new Sherlock Holmes game (Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper) and have found a new favourite format for adventure games: First-person mode with WASD controls. It works so nicely in the game that I fail to see why there aren't more first-person adventure games. The Holmes game gives you the option of First or Third-Person-Fixed cameras and I was almost never in the 3rd-person mode.

Last edited:
Speaking of entertaining things, I is excited that I'm going to an airshow in a week and a half-ish. The stupid international airport here where there always used to be an airshow cancelled all airshows indefinitely after 2004 because of construction of the new terminal (how planes flying around in the air has any effect on construction is a mystery to me). Stupid little short jew mayor. Oh well, jets are awesome even if people are stupid. Looks like it's just going to be military planes too, which is fine by me - once you've seen that guy with the falling apart plane who fake crashes once... screw that guy, needs moar jets.

Also, this is going to be on display. :lol: awesome, a G wagon with a machine gun.