Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

Yes!

El Camino is good. I rewatched Breaking Bad immediately prior to watching it, and it was worth it. I forgot just how fast paced the show is.

I am also wondering if anyone is going to see the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot this week.

"2020" seems like such a "futuristic-sounding" year. It's sort of amazing how few movies have been set in 2020, and many of them are fairly recent. Like...where are all the 60s Sci-Fi movies or 80s/90s dystopian films set in 2020?

Although...looking at the list for movies that are set in 2020, I was reminded of the hilarious/awesome "post apocalyptic near-future, but with dragons" film, Reign of Fire...so now I need to re-watch that...

Lots of people love shitty reality TV, it really isn't that surprising.

The Cats embargo is over and the reviews are just amazing. This movie must be a career killer. :roflmao:

Links and quotes stolen from Reddit:
Boston Globe
My eyes are burning. Oh God, my eyes.

Collider
Can you make a movie so bad that the Academy takes back your Best Director Oscar? Asking for Tom Hooper.
---
The film that everyone is in is largely the musical of cats singing about what kind of cat they are and this repeats until you pray for the sweet release of death. Tom Hooper’s direction to his actors for this semblance of a plot was to act it super horny. That doesn’t give Cats a raw sexual energy as much as it makes everything incredibly uncomfortable like when Rum Tum Tugger (Jason Derulo) is dumping milk into cats’ faces or Macavity just seems more nude than other cats even though technically all the cats are nude. But if it wasn’t enough to make the cats horny (why are they so horny), Hooper also feels the need to make it gross by having them dig through trash and play up their animal instincts. Cats always feels like it’s two seconds away from turning into a furry orgy in a dumpster. That’s the energy you have to sit with for almost two hours.

The Beat
Cats is the worst thing to happen to cats since dogs.

Hollywood Reporter
Cat-astrophic.

LA Times
"Cats” is both a horror and an endurance test.

Slashfilm
There is a thin line between idiocy and genius, and Cats pukes a hairball on it and rubs its ass all over it.

Variety
Nine may not be enough lives for some of the stars to live down their involvement in this poorly conceived and executed adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit musical.

Little White Lies
I felt the light inside me slowly fading.

The Playlist
Once Tom Hooper's 110 minutes of Cats are over, theater is dead. And we unchosen ones are left, tragically, to continue living.

New York Times
It's amazing to see what Adult Swim can accomplish with a $100 million budget. I never knew Tom Hooper was capable of making a surrealist nightmare that would rival Jodorowsky, that could baffle David Lynch, that would prompt even the dark god Cthulhu to emit an impressed eldritch shriek of “nehehehehehe”

Vulture
To assess Cats as good or bad feels like the entirely wrong axis on which to see it. It is, with all affection, a monstrosity.

The Daily Telegraph
Glad to report that Cats is everything you’d hoped for and more: a mesmerisingly ugly fiasco that makes you feel like your brain is being eaten by a parasite. A viewing experience so stressful that it honestly brought on a migraine.

Den of Geek
One of the weirdest and most garish monstrosities to be birthed out of the Hollywood studio system in this century.

Vanity Fair
It’s an ugly stray who smells bad and should not be invited into your home, certainly. And yet it is its own kind of living creature, worthy of at least some basic compassion.

The Guardian
A purr-fectly dreadful hairball of woe. 1/5.

Indiewire
Tom Hooper’s feline musical is an absurd and exuberant mess. This visually dense adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber hit is at once too crazy for this world, and not quite crazy enough.

Newsday
Fans of the stage musical may swoon, but others will be severely allergic.

The Wrap
Andrew Lloyd Webber’s feline fantasy musical becomes a garish hairball. It’s hard to “ruin” Webber’s already strange musical, but Tom Hooper’s wrongheaded attempt certainly tries. Tom Hooper’s jarring fever dream of a spectacle is like something that escaped from Dr. Moreau’s creature laboratory instead of a poet’s and a composer’s feline (uni)verse, an un-catty valley hybrid of physical and digital that unsettles and crashes way more often than it enchants.

Bleeding Cool
Cats is a strange beast to begin with, but the combination of strange CGI makes the translation from stage to screen even worse.

Slant
This adaptation gets straight to the heart of the material, which is basically two hours of stray cats introducing themselves.

Rendy Reviews
On a scale of one to Zemeckis, Hooper's Cats boldly goes beyond the uncanny valley and creates a tier of its own.

Screen Junkies
A spectacular disaster...This movie feels like a prank but I don't know on whom.

The Jam Report
The most inexplicably bizarre film of the year, it's jawdropping for all the wrong reasons.

RTE Ireland
First off, full disclosure - I am not a cat person. Second off - after watching this frankly mortifying film adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats, I'm not altogether sure I am a movie person anymore either.

Then there's David Farrier's review which is a horror show on its own. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
GEEZUS CHRIST ?

Seeing people notice how ridiculous movies have gotten gives me some faith in humanity.

Anyway, has anyone else been watching season 4 of The Expanse? I didn't even know it had been released until I spotted a video discussing it, I've completely failed to pace myself and I'm now up to episode 8 after just 5 days. Really enjoying it so far.

Last edited:
I've been needing to watch The Expanse. Love me some space opera.

Which brings me to my next point. I got a wild hair to get an XboneX for Jedi Fallen Order. Been a long time since I've played any games, but I've heard good stuff about Fallen Order.

Is it worth beefing up my PC for the game or fine on console?

Ten reasons why I think Home Alone 3 is a legitimately good movie and gets more shit than it deserves.

- It's funny seeing Scarlett Johansson as a kid.
- It has a 'Talking' parrot that makes quips and makes multiple appearances singing.
- It has my favourite scene that I've always wanted to replicate, the TV remote sniper. He's also wearing a Vader helmet.

- It contains a modified Mutator, one of the two very clever RC cars made by Tyco in the late 1990s. They also made the Rebound, which was the one I had at the time.
- He strapped a video camera to the top, something I later replicated with my own RC cars. For now I'm ignoring that he made it wireless without the technology to do so.
- The criminals all had tiny, wireless digital cameras in 1997.
- A man has a lawn mower fall on his head and survives with only a haircut. Classic movie cartoon violence.
- Spray painted eyes through the letterbox flap tickles me every time.
- Lawn mower man is smacked in the crotch, more classic cartoon violence.
- Tubs full of glue act as giant roller skates.

Is it worth beefing up my PC for the game or fine on console?

In my opinion, it isn't worth spending on a PC over an Eksbonx just for gaming, despite that it's the way I would always go as it's ultimately better value. I don't regret throwing money at my PC two years ago with a 1080Ti and so forth but it cost significantly more than a newer Xbox would have done at the time. Depends on what else you'll do with the PC too. If you just want to play the game and don't mind the limitations of the console, it's a far cheaper option.

if you drop your current specs in the random tech thoughts thread it would be possible to get a rough idea of cost.

I have a Hackintosh and came to the conclusion that I'm too lazy to deal with upgrading again. Given the frequency that I play and beat games nowadays (two or three times a decade), I think I'll take the easy way out and snap up an Xbox One X.

My PS3 is still my Blu Ray player, so it'd be nice to have something from this decade capable of 4K and HDR.