Rental Car Roulette

Shame about the poorly maintained Hyundai, a great way to ruin a nice driving road. I hope you didn't mind the very variable weather we've been having, too.

To add to the point in the paint colours thread, that Corsa looks great in such a bright blue. I'm unlikely to ever need one, but I kind of want to test drive the EV version anyway.

The first two days were really okay and only Friday was bad, but it improved in the end. And the Corsa had matching Michelin tires all around while the Kona did with Turanzas up front and Nexens in the back...

There were moments when the Hyundai drove alright, but we once pulled over to eat and that point I was not sure it even ran on three cylinders. A couple hours' rest seemed to be fine for it, though. It just didn't like accelerating from standstill that much.

A month and a half ago my car got scratched by an Very Old Man in a Polo that, when asked, said the parking spot next to my car was "too narrow". It wasn't. I finally got all the insurance business sorted, so now I'm in a rental while my car is at the body shop.

Enter the 2022 (I presume) Toyota Corolla Hybrid Touring Sports.

1696265405000.png

This is my insurance company's idea of an equivalent to a Passat Alltrack. I don't agree, but it's not an unpleasant experience and it makes a nice change of pace.

Positives:
- I'm used to a diesel with a dual clutch. City driving in a hybrid is obviously a whole different ball game. Everything's smooth and quiet and getting going from a standstill is much more effortless. I could get used to this. Yes, I know you EV drivers have been living this life for years. Shut up.
- While VW are deleting buttons and replacing nice surfaces with hard plastic, Toyota is doing the opposite. The steering wheel has actual buttons on it, there's a volume knob, proper buttons and dials for the HVAC, etc. The stalks are also nice.
- Wireless CarPlay.
- It has averaged 5.2 liters/100km which I guess is what a 1.6 liter Golf TDI returns. But there's no diesel tax here.
- I dug around in the boot to try and find the traction battery, but all I found was a cavernous spare wheel well. I wonder where they hid the battery.
- It actually drives pretty nice.

Noted:
- It has mechanical rocker switches for the seat heaters. HI-OFF-LO, just like a 1987 Corolla.
- It seems Toyota finally ran out of green digital clocks.
- You can tell they tried to make it "normal". It has a normal PRND shifter that stays where you put it, unlike a Prius. It also has a rev counter. No idea why because the engine does whatever it feels like. Shuts down, revs to 3000, shuts down, etc.
- It has the same square feeling windshield frame that Corollas had 20 years ago. I can't really explain it but it feels odd to look out of when you're used to pretty much anything else.
- It starts up with lane keep assist off. There's a button on the steering wheel to enable it. I wonder if this is a custom setting for the rental company.
- The ass dyno says this is the slower of the two hybrid drivetrains. Feels like 120hp or so, no idea what it actually has. As I recall, the more powerful version has like 180.

Negatives:
- The backup camera is not protected in any way, like in a VW where it's covered by the VW badge when not in use, and there's no sprayer on it like on a Skoda or Seat.
- I'm stupidly tall and I like food. But this is 2023 and this is supposed to be family car. I shouldn't have to shove the seat all the way back just to make room for my legs. It's also narrow. With the drivers seat set for me, my biceps is chafing against the B pillar. The pillar also curves in and is very close to my head.
- The backup camera is pretty lousy even when the lens isn't wet and dirty.
- The cruise control, when set at the longest following distance, is still firmly in BMW territory. I know for a fact that when it's raining and you're following a truck, you're in its spray with the wipers on the whole time.
- I can't see this being the main car for a houseowner, simply because it has a feeble tow rating. 450kg is barely enough to deliver greetings, and if you own a house you sometimes need to move more than that. You get 750kg if your trailer has brakes, but I don't think there are many 750kg braked trailers on the market because that happens to be the legal limit for unbraked trailers. No, I didn't look the tow ratings up for this review but for another reason.
- The lane keep assist beeps like a microwave.
- While the outer door skin doesn't wobble when you close the door (like on a new Yaris) the door handle still makes an unsettling hollow BONK when you let go. I'm sure Toyota did their homework on side impact safety, but...

Went or some late night grocery shopping. Oh look, there’s another one.

… and it’s another Hertz rental. Because of course it is.

IMG_8905.jpeg

IMG_8907.jpeg

I just realized it has hands free boot opening, a no-brainer option my VW lacks due to GDPO. Anyone that’s ever carried two bags of shopping has probably wondered why someone would spec an electric tailgate but NOT hands-free opening. It doesn’t make sense.

It also has a ”close the boot and lock the car“ button on the tailgate, another thing all cars should have. One button that does everything, just press and walk away. I have to walk around and lock the rest of the car via a door handle.

Oh, and the bolted-on ipad feels like it’s angled towards the passenger. It probably isn’t, but that’s what it feels like from behind the wheel. Not sure why that is. Same thing in the Yaris.

I am always baffled by insurance companies that give you a loaner that is actually similar to the insured car.
In the few times I needed it, it was always the cheapest suomi-spec rental, regardless of what I drove.

Addendum to my earlier post:

The heated steering wheel is only heated at 9 and 3 o’clock. Wtf?

Although I guess it isn’t such a bad thing since there are two settings: Off and Lava. You won’t have to wear oven mitts, just shuffle between the hot and cold places to create your own average as needed.

I am always baffled by insurance companies that give you a loaner that is actually similar to the insured car.
In the few times I needed it, it was always the cheapest suomi-spec rental, regardless of what I drove.
I once came back from a skiing trip with a Ford Focus clipper, we went with a couple of friends and went with 3 cars. Since the other cars were smaller and I had the only station wagon I had put my rear seats down and took all the ski's and most of the luggage. Broke down on the way home and thankfully I had insurance for just such case, the policy even stated I would get a similar car. A tow truck took me and my car to a garage where there was already a car waiting for me: a Ford C-max. So I ended up having to leave half of the luggage in the Focus to be towed to my local garage a week later.
When complaining the insurance company said the policy only stated it needed to be a similar car, but not in what way. So a similar priced car was also similar to them.

The only thing similar here is the number of seats.

A compact zippy hybrid car makes a nice change of pace from a big diesel bus, so I’m not complaining.

A month and a half ago my car got scratched by an Very Old Man in a Polo that, when asked, said the parking spot next to my car was "too narrow". It wasn't. I finally got all the insurance business sorted, so now I'm in a rental while my car is at the body shop.

Enter the 2022 (I presume) Toyota Corolla Hybrid Touring Sports.

View attachment 3570521

This is my insurance company's idea of an equivalent to a Passat Alltrack. I don't agree, but it's not an unpleasant experience and it makes a nice change of pace.

Corolla = C segment

Passat = D segment

It's not a rental car, but it is a rental. I had some composite fence pickets I had to pick up and decided that a nice low load height would make it easier. Unfortunately, they were packed with the fork lift going 90 degrees from what I hoped and they were bundled onto a pallet rather than in boxes of 10 as was indicated. Anyway, in my brain it seemed like a $16 utility trailer was a good idea at the time.

Down to my local uHaul I went and got the trailer. The tire must have had about 10 psi in it, just enough to hold up an empty 4x7 ft empty trailer, but once loaded, it was clear I wasn't going anywhere. I waited nearly 2 hours for their roadside guy to show up with a compressor to pump up the tire after I explained about 6 times that I just need air and the tire was not punctured. Dealing with their roadside call center/chat bot was a PITA. I had to upload photos of what was going on, and they still asked for more in the chat - so I complied maliciously with about 20 different artsy beauty shots of a dry rotted flat tire.

Not exactly overloaded:

PXL_20231105_202827651.jpg

PXL_20231105_195614370.jpg

Just a small amount of dry rot. I'm glad I was only on city streets and didn't attempt to take this on the freeway.
PXL_20231105_201217410.jpg

The other side was even worse.
PXL_20231105_204441985.jpg

The uHaul location didn't seem to care and just said they would "note the condition". On the up side, the truck would have dragged that trailer loaded with a flat tire around all day and not given one single shit that it was back there. I'm very much digging the diesel.

I know you shouldn't have to deal with this problem but I'd recommend something like the DeWALT 18V/20V XR inflator just to have in the truck, very handy as it can run from a tool battery or 12V. I'm guessing the Jeep doesn't have a compressor with its actual spare wheel?

Anyway I'm quite glad that there isn't really a company like U-haul in this country. Our local van/truck/trailer rental place seems more responsible. Did you catch the date codes?

I know you shouldn't have to deal with this problem but I'd recommend something like the DeWALT 18V/20V XR inflator just to have in the truck, very handy as it can run from a tool battery or 12V. I'm guessing the Jeep doesn't have a compressor with its actual spare wheel?

Anyway I'm quite glad that there isn't really a company like U-haul in this country. Our local van/truck/trailer rental place seems more responsible. Did you catch the date codes?
I have a very nice Viair compressor, I just didn't have it with me at the time.