Rimless doors vs "normal" ones

What!? When did THAT happen!?

When they decided to go for mass market appeal...after the Tribeca fiasco. Their sales have gone up, the quirkiness has gone down.

The Tribeca was Subaru telling it's engineers to "draw what you want" and the market going "no hentai cars please."

The SVX had rimmed doors too. Altough, the windows were the quirky part of that car.

Before Subaru switched to framed doors, they said it was better to build up the metal around the door opening for crash purposes.

Of course with them adopting non frameless windows, that point is moot.

I think rimless is dumb on sports cars purely because they make the window drop down a little to open and close the door to avoid breaking glass. Was that s problem before? I’ve got an ‘04 Mustang with its original side windows and I’m sure a ton of other owners can attest. Why the change? It seems overly complicated.

I think rimless is dumb on sports cars purely because they make the window drop down a little to open and close the door to avoid breaking glass. Was that s problem before? I’ve got an ‘04 Mustang with its original side windows and I’m sure a ton of other owners can attest. Why the change? It seems overly complicated.

They do that so they don't have to install pressure relief vents in the car.

93Flareside;n3542914 said:

My Beetle does that because the window pushes up into an upside-down-U-shaped seal. If you didn't lower the window you'd damage the seal over time... it's possible to carefully open the door with the window up, e.g. if the battery failed, of course... but you can feel the seal cry.