Share your recipes!

Another "What the hell do we have to work with?" concoction.

Let me see if I can recall what we did...

Here's what I pulled out of the fridge/pantry:
  • Broccoli
  • English peas
  • Pene pasta
  • Sour cream
  • Milk
  • Flour
  • Butter
  • Sundried tomatoes (julienne cut)
  • Paprika
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • Salt
  • White pepper
  • Tomato paste

Prep:
Cut broccoli into bite-sized bits.

In a sauce pan:
Make a roux.
Add some milk until you get it to the right consistency. I also threw in a little sour cream because I only had skim milk and it needed more fat, but if you have cream, that will work too. I had to make do with what we had.
Season with salt, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
Add sundried tomatoes and a few table spoons of tomato paste.

In a pot:
Bring salted water to a boil.
Add pasta.
With about 4 minutes left to go on the pasta, add the broccoli.
One minute later add the peas.

Drain pasta and vegetables, douse with cold water to stop the cooking so the vegetables don't get mushy. Return the pasta and veg to the pot and cover with the tomato cream sauce. Fold/toss until everything is covered evenly, serve in bowls.

You can use fresh garlic and onion if you want, but it was 10:00 PM and we were lazy. It was still delicious.

Last edited:
Don slice jucy meat on wood, You loose all juces! :)

Just made some kickass Carne Asada from whatever I had around the kitchen. Instead of a photo, I will try to be useful and post the recipe (all measurements are approximate due to me not measuring in the first place). I did this with probably 3-4# of steak so we would have leftovers, scale accordingly

Thinly sliced carne asada

Marinade:
1 cup olive oil
1/2 small bottle Worcestershire sauce
1/2 large yellow onion, rough chopped
4-6 cloves crushed or diced garlic
1 juiced lime (include rind and meat)
6 finely chopped Thai red peppers
Cayenne Pepper
Chili powder
Salt
Tapatio
Chipotle Tabasco
Cholula
Orange Juice (whatever it takes to cover it at this point)

Combine in a large zip-top bag and squeeze out all the air. Store in the fridge for 4+ hours. You can squish it all around periodically to ensure even coverage.

Remove meat from marinade, cook flat on a hot cast iron just long enough to have the surface brown. Let meat rest before slicing into strips against the grain or cube

Lguc3N1.jpg

MRBbk9z.jpg

That is a lot of the marinade, the meat was very tender and juicy. I saved the juices on the cutting board and put it into the storage container with the leftovers.

Wood cutting boards are naturally antimicrobial and much easier to sanitize than plastic. You just need to coat them in mineral oil from time to time so they don't crack.

My new favorite salad. Really simple, but why not share it anyways.

2 bowls baby arugula
1 quarter white sweet onion, sliced
4 baby cucumbers, sliced
1 Jalapeno, diced
Cayenne pepper powder
Sea Salt
Black pepper
Olive oil

Mix everything in a bowl. Add cayenne powder, salt and pepper to taste. Splash on oil. Mix. Serve

loN8QeZ.jpg

One thing I would change from the last time I made the salad, I used my black pepper grinder on the coarse setting which was not the best thing. Next time I will be using a more finer grind.

Last edited:
Soak a bunch of pepper corns and chili in oil for a week or so - and use this as the dressing base - then you could omit the ground pepper all together in the dish.

:)

Soak a bunch of pepper corns and chili in oil for a week or so - and use this as the dressing base - then you could omit the ground pepper all together in the dish.

Ooohhh. I'll need to try that next time. Thanks.

I must spread more culinary skills around.
Thank you!

Cast Iron Kohlrabi

Ingredients:
  • 4 kohlrabi
  • 1 head of garlic
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh parsley
  • Olive oil (does not need to be Extra Virgin, regular will do fine)
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Large cast iron skillet
Preheat your oven to 400 F.

Peel the kohlrabi and cut into chunks, about the same as if you were roasting red potatoes. Mince a generous amount of garlic, I used about 3/4 of a head. Toss the kohlrabi in a bowl with the garlic, salt generously, drizzle with olive oil and toss together. Spread the kohlrabi out in the skillet and place in the oven for 40-50 minutes (depending on the size of the chunks), stirring every 10 minutes. While it is cooking, finely chop the parsley.

I wanted a nice golden brown crust, which I didn't get by following the initial recipe, even once I switched the broil. I removed the skillet and placed it on the stove on med-high and browned the kohlrabi that way.

Grate the Parmesan cheese lightly over the kohlrabi and garnish with the chipped parsley. I served right out of the skillet.

Kohlrabi tastes a bit like a potato crossed with an artichoke heart, it's pretty damn tasty.

Blind_Io;n3543821 said:
Cast Iron Kohlrabi

Ingredients:
  • 4 kohlrabi
  • 1 head of garlic
  • Kosher salt
  • Fresh parsley
  • Olive oil (does not need to be Extra Virgin, regular will do fine)
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Large cast iron skillet
Preheat your oven to 400 F.

Peel the kohlrabi and cut into chunks, about the same as if you were roasting red potatoes. Mince a generous amount of garlic, I used about 3/4 of a head. Toss the kohlrabi in a bowl with the garlic, salt generously, drizzle with olive oil and toss together. Spread the kohlrabi out in the skillet and place in the oven for 40-50 minutes (depending on the size of the chunks), stirring every 10 minutes. While it is cooking, finely chop the parsley.

I wanted a nice golden brown crust, which I didn't get by following the initial recipe, even once I switched the broil. I removed the skillet and placed it on the stove on med-high and browned the kohlrabi that way.

Grate the Parmesan cheese lightly over the kohlrabi and garnish with the chipped parsley. I served right out of the skillet.

Kohlrabi tastes a bit like a potato crossed with an artichoke heart, it's pretty damn tasty.

It seems delicious, but I have no idea what a Kohlrabi is.
*googles*
Oh, interesting. Don't think I ever saw one of those.

It's a mutant alien plant that is part of the cabbage family and tastes like artichoke hearts had an illicit affair with a potato. They are quite tasty.

Blind_Io;n3543850 said:
It's a mutant alien plant that is part of the cabbage family and tastes like artichoke hearts had an illicit affair with a potato. They are quite tasty.

:lol: Quite a description.