Star Trek: Picard

They should release season 3 of Discovery first - it would feel like an anti-climax otherwise.

For those that can't see the listed link.

Finished Enterprise..... I am conflicted with how it ended.

Onto Discovery.

The first episode is available for a limited time on YouTube.

So, the first season is over.

I liked it, I liked it a lot. And I never really watched TNG even. Jean-Luc Picard is such a powerful character - especially in times like these it is really comforting to watch a leader like that, to me at least.

Now, after all ten episodes and with only the finale fresh in my mind, it's difficult to tell what I liked especially. Well, apart from Seven of Nine turned space vigilante and Riker growing into an old pizza chef. Come to think of it, many of the memorable things about the series would be a bit tacky or simple for my taste, but as an ensemble of stories and characters, it worked.

In the finale though, the whole main twist about the "higher synthetic beings" felt like an ass-pull so we can really have a galaxy-threating evil to avert. Also, the whole synth society in that little settlement there made no sense to me - them all being clad in togas and such was such an obvious attempt at placing eye-candy it made my eyes roll.
Also, Picard being given a synthetic body after his death? It has been a long time since I saw a plot point coming from that far away.

I also for now wish this had been a one-series show, a special thing. But season 2 being confirmed, and the ending setting up the new crew rather plainly, I fear this might become a rather standard show in the future. Which I will watch. Because I really liked the first season. :D

Pretty much all of what DanRom said.

They'd be stupid to consider this as a one time, standalone series so of course they set it up with the premise that it could evolve just as other iterations have done but as things stand they're in a prime (directive) position of being able to take it in the most fitting direction possible.

Fwiw I thought Jurati would end up being Picard's Kes but now I reckon they have given the character the right back story to become a credible part of an ongoing crew should this come back for future seasons.

Lastly Seven is still as #holyfuckingshitpineapplessexy as ever.

Also had to chuckle during episode 6. Peyton List obviously took her British accent tuition a step too far. Pronounced asinine as arsinine in the scene where she is interrogating Hugh.

Hey, Hollywood, we get that Brits are better at playing villains but if you're going to co-opt non-natives at least teach them to speak the language convincingly.

We aren't novices at this. How do you think we unmasked so many Nazi spies during WW2? Because the fucking Gestapo couldn't teach them how to pronounce "squirrel"!

Let's not forget an AI threatening to destroy the galaxy was a major plot point of Discovery season 2. Could be all building up to something bigger.

I won't use spoilers, this thread is titled after the show after all.

I watched the second season, too. And what do you mind about the Tesla?

Sadly I must say I liked the first season better. Somehow the whole arc of season 2 - namely, the time-travel setting - doesn't hit it with me. And so far they ignored pretty much everything about the canonical fictional history except for some remarks - which are easy to do. I asked myself several times why they chose this point in time, because it just makes things more difficult.
Furthermore, the best characters - Picard himself and Seven - are totally underused especially in the later episodes.

Also, I don't like this "air half a season and do a clifhanger" that's so popular with networks lately... I just hope the second half, oh excuse me, season 3 - picks up the slack. And answers my question as to why they chose 2024, except so they don't have to worry about backgrounds in external shots at the time of filming. ;)

The Tesla was used to run over Picard. The car should have prevented that.

So, season 3 has begun, and it goes in a totally different direction than what I expected or hoped according to my post after season 2. :D

It looks stunning. But after the first ep, I have my doubts about it being more than a revival of the TNG cast...

So, season 3 has begun, and it goes in a totally different direction than what I expected or hoped according to my post after season 2. :D

It looks stunning. But after the first ep, I have my doubts about it being more than a revival of the TNG cast...
I'm more than OK with it being a TNG love letter. 😄

I grew up with TNG so... not a problem for me.

What I'd love to see is more DS9 & VOY characters than just 7 of 9.

Season 1 & 2 tried to get new audience to watch it, while nice, makes little sense to me as this is a series about a man in his 80s last hurrah.

I grew up with TNG so... not a problem for me.

What I'd love to see is more DS9 & VOY characters than just 7 of 9.

Season 1 & 2 tried to get new audience to watch it, while nice, makes little sense to me as this is a series about a man in his 80s last hurrah.

He is no longer a man. He is an android with the memories of the man.

I watched season one. It gets way more hate than is justified but I guess that's the norm now. I rewatched season 2 for season 3 and I think watching it as a whole makes it more cohesive. I liked the first episode of season 3.

Many Trekkies do not realize that people slowly change over time. We are nearing 3 decades ago the last episode of TNG... so people do change.

The bits of backlog we have regarding what happened with the Romulans after Nemesis I'd imagine his years on Enterprise E and F were not fondly remembered by him, and he would be changed.