The Curry Thread

REPREZENTIN' SOUTH INDIANz YO'!

694px-Masala_Thosai.jpg

800px-Idly_sambar_vada.JPG
Want....that.....in.....my.....life.............badly.....:cry:

I am gonna go to my fave local restaurant here in Jaipur for lunch. It's called Roshan Palace AC Bar and Restaurant and it is a lovely little shithole. Food's great, although the whole place is kinda shady. Pictures to follow.

Want....that.....in.....my.....life.............badly.....:cry:

Come to the Bay Area...where to you left, right and not more than 1/2 a mile, there will be an indian restaurant. (Just in my vicinity there is 3 indian restaurants). But its all about the moms food, where I can get a idli and sambhar for free than paying 5.00.

Just went to Bombay Indian restaurant here in Hillcrest this afternoon for lunch with my mentors and my dad.

As soon as I walked in i noticed the beautiful sign, the waterfall, the nice tables, the elephant statues, the foliage, the bar, the decorations. It was 5 star quality.

The people running it.... all non-indian....

So the food.... ehhhhh not so good. The naan was hard as a rock, the spinach had no flavor in it, the salad was the only thing that was mildly ok, but you don't go to an indian restaurant for salad.

Not a very good experience, and I felt bad because my mentor paid the bill ($60).

Moral of the story: If you want good indian food, go to one thats run by indians and isnt masking the poor quality of the food with aesthetics. Actually this is true of any restaurant.

Noooooooooooooo

Indian Restaurant with out Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi staff is NOT an Indian restaurant, it's a place selling spicy food, nothing more.

Real quick question: what's with the metal serving trays that Indians love to use, like in the photos above? And the metal cups?

^ X2

Even in Singapore, the Indian vendors always use the metal plates with the exact same design.

Singapore has tons of curry to choose from, not only Indian ones... :D

Real quick question: what's with the metal serving trays that Indians love to use, like in the photos above? And the metal cups?

In most indian homes the multi compartment plates are usually useful with kids (I used to eat out of one when I was 4). The metal plates and cups are easier to clean than plastic and they are cheaper and more durable than using ceramic and plastic plates.

Technically the true way to eat south indian food is not on a plate; but on a banana leaf!

Just thought you'd like to know I had a Thai King Prawn curry yesterday. Was packed with prawns and what looked like spinach. Mmmhhmm. :)

And it was in a metal bowl. :lol:

In most indian homes the multi compartment plates are usually useful with kids (I used to eat out of one when I was 4). The metal plates and cups are easier to clean than plastic and they are cheaper and more durable than using ceramic and plastic plates.

Technically the true way to eat south indian food is not on a plate; but on a banana leaf!

Aww too late :(, but yes he is correct. When we serve to others we usually just have 1 flat round plate with idlis and vadas and stuff, and chutney and sambar are served either in cups (for non-indians) or straight on the plate for our indian guests.

Otherwise we just eat out of whatever's been washed :p

I miss the banana leaf method, so traditional and nice. I sincerely believe the food tastes better on a b-leaf than on a plate

Edit: Mom made some vadais for dinner:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/08/17/0816082149.jpg

This is what the inside looks like when you bite into it:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/08/17/0816082150.jpg

YUMMEH

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/08/17/0816082150a.jpg

Last edited:
I friggin LOVE curry. I've had my fair share of different types of curry, and one certain kind I've taken a liking to is some lamb curry at a restaurant that I frequent. My mother makes some really kick-ass curry, too. If you guys like your share of curry / exotic food with spice, you should try some Malaysian food like some Laksa. it's the greatest thing next to curry.
laksa24706_wideweb__470x317,0.jpg

k, so speaking as an Indian who does use curry powder:

pict0127.jpg

It's all about how much free time you have to put into cooking. In a pinch, stuff like the above ^ works pretty well.

I love Curry as well...I had some of the best Curry I've ever had last week at a Thai restraunt in Chinatown in New York...it was fantastic...I wound up eating most of both of my parent's meals as well :lol:

Oh Chvvkumar, you moved to the states. Cool.

Shame the Indian we get here is so lame, yaar.

Last edited:
Oh Chvvkumar, you moved to the states. Cool.

Shame the Indian we get here is so lame, yaar.

Bit of a bump here, but Dosa in SF is damn good. Chaat cafe, Taste of the Himalayas, and Viceroy's (all at Berkeley) are all damn good.

And if you head down to Indian central in Sunnyvale, I'm sure you'll find lots of great eateries. One great place I've been to is called Dosa palace. Must go!

There's an Asian cuisine place half a mile from me that has AMAZING curries.