The donation program is back!

thomas

Grouchy Beemer Owner
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
E39 M5, '94 Cadillac Fleetwood, '21 Focus Wagon
Dear fellow Finalgear users!

As most of you are probably aware, the donation program was started by Alex / Viper a little over a year ago was later disabled due to the lack of access and the uncertain circumstances. And the whole deal came back to "haunt us" just a few weeks ago, when some of the the subsciptions auto-renewed. So after talking to his family, I am happy to announce that the donation program is enabled and available again.

To read the whole thread how it started and what you get, feel free to check the old thread:
https://forums.finalgear.com/threads/feedback-on-a-donation-program-status.3555460/

What you get In short:
You'll get to upload images and video files, set your own custom title and get a donor banner.

Where do you get that?
https://forums.finalgear.com/account/upgrades

What happens to the money?
The money now goes into the Ringmeet Paypal account (and possibly subsequently bank account) that I have been using for many years (minus some fees probably) and that is separated from all my private accounts. It will pay for the recurring software licensing fees, the hosting costs (assumingI can convince Q to take the money) and finally paying for the actual domain of Finalgear (which is owned and paid for by Alex's family). That is all that I can think of right now. The IRC-server has come up for questionable use/cost, so maybe that too.

Is this really neccessary?
I'll give you a clear answer: No!
The costs are not exorbitant, with what should be left once things are sorted with the family should last a bit, and even if not, there's plenty of people that will prevent Finalgear from going anywhere, so don't worry.

IMPORTANT FOR OLD RECURRING DONORS:
You need to cancel your automated payment within Paypal to Alex's paypal account! You should find the automated setup in your account under this link: https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/autopay/ with his name Alex Mills. If it is "Active", click on "Cancel". I don't know whether the software is smart enough to request payment from the new address when the payment is triggered next year or not, but I'd rather just make sure that it does, so please do the above.

tl;dr:

Got too much money and want a green donor badge? Go for it. Otherwise, please ignore :)

So long
Thomas

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Thomas! All donated! :giggle:

Updated the first post:

You need to cancel your automated payment within Paypal to Alex's paypal account! You should find the automated setup in your account under this link: https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/autopay/ with his name Alex Mills. If it is "Active", click on "Cancel". I don't know whether the software is smart enough to request payment from the new address when the payment is triggered next year or not, but I'd rather just make sure that it does, so please do the above.

Finally got around to cancelling the auto-payment. :LOL:

Will see what happens at the end of the month.

Your Tesla is now the FG company vehicle.
That reminds me that I have some stealth FG stickers to apply to it, along with a Liquid Schwartz sticker for Bob.

Updated the first post:

7DA875D6-83F6-4924-BA29-2C37CAC99560.png

Ah, good. I cancelled to

I guess that was Alex’s account, but it’s closed?

I don't think we ever knew where the money went or if anyone was able to retrieve it. Glad me mentioning it helped someone else and I'm not the only lazy one who didn't do it last year. :tease:

I'm not sure anyone read this properly with the dates and all... ?

The old account was owned by Alex, and now his sister. She has the money before the change of the accounts, and I told her to keep it if there's anything she/the family needs it for, plus she's holding on to the domain for sentimental values, for which I told her we'll happily pay and keep paying. It was changed over to the ringmeet account with her approval before I made this thread, and the money since has been going there (staying neatly separated from the actual ringmeet funds, because I keep USD and EUR separate), and Q knows to ask me for money when bills are due for anything. So yes, I've seen you cancel your payment Chris, because you only set it up after I changed it.. ?

But... it showed the auto payment was going nowhere. There was no account name...

So I am the only one lazy enough to not sort it last year? :LOL:

But... it showed the auto payment was going nowhere. There was no account name...
Well I got the notification that you canceled it to the ringmeet account.. And Stef just signed up the other day, also going to the correct account.. So.. Not sure what you're seeing or not seeing.. ?

So I am the only one lazy enough to not sort it last year? :LOL:
Oh and I didn't really keep track of who did and didn't, but I don't recall many people left as recurring donors and not on the new account. If I am bored enough I'll check again and cross reference the active donors to received payments.. Not right now though ?

Question. Mine was auto drafted before the change last year. It still shows me as a donor, but that runs out at the end of this month. Do I need to cancel and re-up with the new PayPal info or will it automatically switch over?

Since it is purely on PayPals end, you need to cancel it and renew it if it is still on the old address. Wherever PayPal stores recurring payments it possibly says payment to Alex Mills, which then is the old account. It should say ringmeet@gmx.com or my name for the current one, not sure why Chris's is showing a blank. But when in doubt, cancelling it and reupping shouldn't cause any issues.

OK, I canceled the subscription to Alex's address last year, so I'll try and cancel on here and see what happens.

Edit: If I try to cancel it through the forum it just takes me to PayPal. Looks like I'll have to wait for it to lapse here and then re-subscribe with the new PayPal address.

Looks like I'll have to wait for it to lapse here and then re-subscribe with the new PayPal address.
That's what I was planning to do. Will see what happens.