Volkswagen ID 3 - 2020

@Prizak

There are many people that are in a similar situation to you that drive EVs everyday. It may require a stop.at a charging stations a couple times a week, but it can be done.

There are also new charging options being developed all the time that may allow you to charge while parked on the road.

I disagree, however I should have added that it has probably worked like that for about 99 % of it's users. I have done several road trips in Norway (400-600km/day) in both the old S (and my brother's new-ish S) and the X, both summer and winter, no problems. On a long journey one or two charging stops a day would usually do, 30-35 minutes (for one, 15-ish for the other) at the Supercharger is usually more than enough, that gives me (and my passengers) the time to have a restroom-break, a snack/coffee etc. Sometimes the charging stop meant dinner, by which time the car was done charging to full long before we had finished our meals. Most places I have stayed over night have also offered some sort of slow charging, so you almost always start the next day with a full charge. This is very comfortably done now, with the charging infrastructure we currently have, and it's only getting better.
Again this works if:
  • You have a place to charge that you frequently spend a good amount of time at (so your home or work really)
  • Your driving doesn't take you beyond the range frequently
  • When it does it's always near a charger*
  • Your road trips are short enough where you don't fill up frequently*

*Might be the case in Norway seeing as how it's relatively small but not in bigger countries like US/Canada
In Norway they are completely tax exempt, even VAT (sales tax) so the only cost is wear and tear and depreciation
That is literally the only reason why you think of Teslas as "ICE replacements", your government made it insanely cheap for you to run, though it seems like that particular gravy train is going to be leaving the station sooner than you think.
I am of the opinion that car ownership means that you should also have somewhere (that isn't the street) to park the car at home
That is a fine opinion to have but not a reality for many people, especially those who live in cities (like around 80% of Americans for example)
if you have that, it's also likely you can also have equipment to charge it there
That might be the case in Norway but it is nowhere near close to such in the US, huge majority of condos and even some townhouse developments don't have anything but a parking lot with no provisions for charging anything. In the case of my own condo (which is pretty typical for say NYC), only about half of the apartments face the parking lot and could theoretically have a charger, other half does not.
Relying on street parking is way too unreliable in my opinion, you never know if there is an open spot close to your home, and there is a greater risk of vandalism and theft, which means more expensive insurance etc.
Sure but when alternative is car vs no-car one makes do with street parking when needed.
Also, parking garage/space providers are now required by law to offer spots with charging infrastructure.
That increases cost to own since you have to pay for a parking spot now.

There are many people that are in a similar situation to you that drive EVs everyday. It may require a stop.at a charging stations a couple times a week, but it can be done.
If I have to go somewhere to "fill up" I would stick to ICE which takes all of 10 minutes to get to a station near my house, fill up and go home (also about once a month) instead of killing 1.5-2hours of my time and sitting in Brooklyn traffic.

That pop up charger solves literally 0 issues with curbside charging, unless you can get a spot near one you aren't getting any juice and as @marcos_eirik rightly pointed out anything sitting on the street increases a chance of vandalism, which would be rather no bueno if you come out to an empty car....

We get it, you hate EVs, now let's keep this thread on this particular EV, we have plenty of other threads where you can bitch about charging stations.

We get it, you hate EVs, now let's keep this thread on this particular EV, we have plenty of other threads where you can bitch about charging stations.
You missed my entire point, my contention is not “EV bad” it’s that any of them are in any way a full ICE replacement, they aren’t.

what primitive person needs to go to a remote location to get the fuel for his car? in 10 years we won't believe we did this, going to a petrol station, what an inconvenience!

and not everyone lives like a rat in an overcrowded place...i have a drive way, a garage and loads of space to place a charging point
no ICE is a suitable replacement for a decent electro engine, both in convenience and in power delivery

what primitive person needs to go to a remote location to get the fuel for his car? in 10 years we won't believe we did this, going to a petrol station, what an inconvenience!
Bullshit, even if EVs somehow replace 100% of cars in 10 years, which they won’t due to simple math, the number of people who
have a drive way, a garage and loads of space to place a charging point
Is going to go down with population increase, not up. So even if your charging is as quick as petrol fill up, you still going to a remote location.
no ICE is a suitable replacement for a decent electro engine
I can double my range by carrying a couple of $10 gas cans, lemme know when you can do that with an EV.

Here is a simple fact, EVs work for some people, ICE works for all people.

Are you done derailing this thread now, or do I need to ask again?
When people stop responding to my points I’ll stop responding to theirs.

Or you can delete all off topic posts, not
just mine, would only be fair.

Last edited:
...and still neither this, nor the e-Golf, sold in the US...

Even VW is disappointed in the charging network that they built under duress.

I was listening to a podcast recently who discussed that. Apparently there’s been chargers installed for 3 years or more that were never connected to the network and switched on. They’re installed, ready to go. The companies installing got the grant money to install them, and they did that.

...and still neither this, nor the e-Golf, sold in the US...

well, to be fair, the id3 was never supposed to come to the US and VW doesn't seem to have any problem with selling and even building the ID4 in the US. I wouldn't put "bad EA" and "no ID3 in US" in any causational relation...

I was listening to a podcast recently who discussed that. Apparently there’s been chargers installed for 3 years or more that were never connected to the network and switched on. They’re installed, ready to go. The companies installing got the grant money to install them, and they did that.
Now that's just shitty grant-design :eek: I know it's not the easiest thing in the world, since they changed and added to the requirements over here a few times as well, but there are possibilities to prevent this sort of scammery. even the seemingly shit quality and availability of the EA chargers could be covered, if they took that crap seriously...

Scam if true:
GIlLnStWIAAwDbD.jpeg

Time to get hacking