VW to electrify bugs/T1/356

Dude I've seen photos of you, you wouldn't fit. I'm 5'11" and I had to drive my CRX with my ankle keeled over even with the seat all the way back.

I’m a nominal 6’ and I can fit into and drive a CRX just fine - assuming you mean a first or second gen CRX and not the Del Slow that was blasphemously sold as a CRX in the rest of the world. I have also seen taller men and a few women do just fine in one.

I dunno man there are a lot of em in the salt belt with a ton of electrical issues. Hell my Audi had a bunch of TSBs for electrical issues.

@MWF VW electrics are so commonly faulty that it's become a meme, not unlike Mustang crashes
View attachment 3556182

They should have swapped their flower more often.

I just like the idea of a very light weight and fun car with a bit of style and a modern electric powertrain for running around town. Almost all my driving in town is within the range of and electric car with lots of room to spare. It would take the strain off the X and allow it to be the recreational vehicle and a more dedicated overlander.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, an electric conversion Honda CRX would be pretty fun.

I'm so about an electric Squareback. 1.6L rear engine air cooled is nice and all but this would work every day with a lot less maintenance.

If they call it the bug zapper I’m sold. Randomly electrocuting the driver gives it character. Like my MG catching on fire.
I would prefer "lightning bug" personally

Anyway unsurprisingly I would absolutely love and electric beetle, but am also very much questioning the reliability of something like that. Like I love my bug, but I openly admit it is a trainwreck who's most redeeming quality is the fact despite all the wonky electronics, the normal mechanical stuff is pretty damn solid. If the car is fully electric you can't fall back on that so they better up their game worth the wiring if they plan to make these viable.

They should have swapped their flower more often.

View attachment 3556189

This is hilarious to me because a few days ago my friend (upon us walking by another one of my bug) only at that moment realized the flowers were something that came with the car and remarked "I THOUGHT that seemed weirdly out of character for you to have car flowers" because like. I am goth that is very much not my aesthetic

So today i got new ones

Last edited:
I’m a nominal 6’ and I can fit into and drive a CRX just fine - assuming you mean a first or second gen CRX and not the Del Slow that was blasphemously sold as a CRX in the rest of the world. I have also seen taller men and a few women do just fine in one.
I learned to drive stick in a Del Sol and at 6’ even had no issues with fitment

I learned to drive stick in a Del Sol and at 6’ even had no issues with fitment

Yeah, but the roof came off the Del Slow, so few tall people would have problems with fitment... on warm dry days, anyway. :p

The roof is much less of an issue than the firewall.