why are finalgear torrents so slow?

TheGoodDoctor

Car(s)
04 330ci 6spd
The torrent files I get from this site are slow, I always have to get my episodes from a private tracker site in which case they max out my connection.

You poor, poor man - you have to get them elsewhere? Just do that instead of complaining.

Was decently quick here.

Assuming you're genuinely curious and not just being a complaining asshole, the answer is a couple of reasons:

1. Popularity: When our torrents come out, there's usually about 5000 people trying to download it at once. Yes, they all are uploading to each other in addition to the downloading off of seeders (that's the great thing about BitTorrent), but most people's connections have slow, crappy upload speeds and so they are downloading more than they are uploading which hurts the torrent health (they have a negative net bandwidth contribution). Private torrents are likely to only have a couple hundred people on them at once.

2. More fast seedboxes on private sites. People want to pump their ratios so they get fast seedboxes. They all hop on the torrent and seed the hell out of it. We have lots of seedboxes but the seedbox to downloader ratio is less than on a private site.

3. Ratios: There's not incentive for people to continue seeding after they're done downloading our torrents. Plenty of nice, helpful people do help seed but not everyone does seed until they have a ratio of 1.0. This further hurts the available bandwidth pool.

We do the best we can but there is only so much we can do short of buying more seedboxes and you're welcome to help chip in for the costs of that. ;)

Last edited:
Dafuq. You must be on wireless or something because I was expecting the title of the thread to be "Why are FG torrents so fast?". Last week's TG I literally downloaded in 30 minutes.

Popularity: When our torrents come out, there's usually about 5000 people trying to download it at once. Yes, they all are uploading to each other in addition to the downloading off of seeders (that's the great thing about BitTorrent), but most people's connections have slow, crappy upload speeds and so they are downloading more than they are uploading which hurts the torrent health (they have a negative net bandwidth contribution). Private torrents are likely to only have a couple hundred people on them at once.

This is a big one for me. I'm running a RSS feed to get my torrents the instant they are put on the site so there are lots of peers in comparison to seeders. My download is a lot slower then if i grab the episode off the same link, a day or two after it was released.

The first time I downloaded it, right when it was released, It took nearly 4 hours.

I downloaded it again the next day at a friend's house, and it was downloaded in 6 minutes.

The first time I downloaded it, right when it was released, It took nearly 4 hours.

I downloaded it again the next day at a friend's house, and it was downloaded in 6 minutes.

Yep, things have calmed down after a few hours. :)

It took me 8 min. to download this TopGear episode, and i did it monday morning. You must have a slow connection

How are FG torrents so fast btw? I don't really know how connections work so someone dumb it down for me.

How are FG torrents so fast btw? I don't really know how connections work so someone dumb it down for me.

Everyone uses FG, so in the end everyone has a copy of the episode to give you. The more copies to give you, the faster it is.

Last edited: